Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 05:02   #1711
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Anchors - Bigger is Better ?

Noelex/Gmac
Noelex/Gmac
Noelex/Gmac

Nah. I'm going with Gmac, he is in the business. I get the feeling that Noelex thinks he IS the business.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 05:04   #1712
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I can see no indication that they are not ......
You lost me on the fifteenth double negative.
Old 21-03-2014, 07:29   #1713
cruiser

This forum would be a better place with no commercial members. This anchor right junk and the petty ronca crap before it is boring to say the least. If you have any iron in the fire, with any anchor or manufacturer of anchors. Please, please just go away. Save us the pain of this garbage.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 11:15   #1714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Noelex/Gmac
Noelex/Gmac
Noelex/Gmac

Nah. I'm going with Gmac, he is in the business. I get the feeling that Noelex thinks he IS the business.
Once someone switches their attack from the topic of an argument to the person making it, it's generally considered by impartial (but thoughtful) bystanders that they've run out of ideas and are running up the surrender flag.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 11:39   #1715

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Yeah, but good luck driving your Porsche at 100 mph with a metal wrapped wood wheel.
Seems to me you read his post differently from me. He said "at some point"...

But you've arbitrarily chosen an early point, before a quantum breakthrough, seemingly in order to invalidate his argument (which seemed to me a useful and thought-provoking analogy).

To me, the change from metal tyres to pneumatic rubber tyres is more like the change from wooden anchors to metal anchors.

I don't see the improvement your chosen point suggests between the best "old gen" anchors and the best "new gen" anchors.

The improvement seems to me more in the realm of the Aquajet tyre vs the conventional.

We don't hear much about Aquajet tyres now, but at one time they were considered the mutt's nuts (at least outside the US).

The ground-breaking Jaguar XJ6 was designed around them.

Googling for "influence of the Aquajet" or "influence of Aquajet" delivers zero hits, and a search for "Aquajet" delivers no hits until a single one half way down page 5, and then it's from a site selling vintage tyres.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 14:39   #1716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Once someone switches their attack from the topic of an argument to the person making it, it's generally considered by impartial (but thoughtful) bystanders that they've run out of ideas and are running up the surrender flag.
Less than three percent actively pay attention the others tend to just stand there or follow along with the 3%. You are referring to the less than 3% of course.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 14:43   #1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
This forum would be a better place with no commercial members. This anchor right junk and the petty ronca crap before it is boring to say the least. If you have any iron in the fire, with any anchor or manufacturer of anchors. Please, please just go away. Save us the pain of this garbage.
The forums benefit from input of all kinds from people of ever walk of life including commercial members.
However, I do agree that sometimes the commercial members take over a thread turning it from a question and member comment thread to one in which they try and sell their products. That gets very boring and is a big turn off for me.
Old 21-03-2014, 15:04   #1718

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
However, I do agree that sometimes the commercial members take over a thread turning it from a question and member comment thread to one in which they try and sell their products. That gets very boring and is a big turn off for me.
I learned to skip Congo / Rex posts. English isn't my mother language and they are too much work to decrypt for the information I find inside.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 17:20   #1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I learned to skip Congo / Rex posts. English isn't my mother language and they are too much work to decrypt for the information I find inside.

Alain
Je vous comprends
J'ai le même problème avec le français

Britt
Old 22-03-2014, 01:22   #1720
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I didnt have a point of attack to start with and didn't switch. I also didn't surrender, I have no dog in the fight. I simply saw a dust-up happening between Noelex and GMac and observed that I thought GMAc may be the guy I would listen to more,
Old 22-03-2014, 01:35   #1721

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

No "dust-up" here.

It is always great to read GMac's comments.

Now, can we get back to discussing anchors rather than personalities?
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 23:44   #1722

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Some of you may have noticed this thread has become shorter

I removed my photos of bent and broken tips on "Sarca shaped" anchors. I have done this at Anchor Right's request because I believe there is a possibility of legal action if the photos remain.

The photos of the seven anchors were not staged or photoshopped in any way. They were merely photos of anchors that I have come across recently. The anchors all looked genuine to my eyes, but I have no way of determining or proving that all the anchors photographed were genuine Sarca anchors.

I have published pictures of an anchor with a bent tip on the forum before. It was a Manson Supreme. To their credit, Manson have never requested I remove these images.

I believe most manufacturers recognise that bent anchors do occur and will allow pictures taken by members to stand. Ultimately, the strength of a forum like this is members get to judge and comment on posts and photos for themselves.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 03:19   #1723
cruiser

Quote from Noelex
Some of you may have noticed this thread has become shorter

I removed my photos of bent and broken tips on "Sarca shaped" anchors. I have done this at Anchor Right's request because I believe there is a risk of legal action if the photos remain.

The photos of the seven anchors were not staged or photoshopped in any way. They were merely photos of anchors that I have come across recently. The anchors all looked genuine to my eyes, but I have no way of determining or proving that all the anchors photographed were genuine Sarca anchors.

I have published pictures of an anchor with a bent tip on the forum before. It was a Manson Supreme. To their credit, Manson have never requested I remove these images.

I believe most manufacturers recognise that bent anchors do occur and will allow pictures taken by members to stand. Ultimately, the strength of a forum like this is members get to judge and comment on posts and photos for themselves.

Thank you to the forum for reinstalling this great thread, for the record, we never threatened legal action.

(Anchors bent) no problem with that but 7 in one go, credit to Noelex as he states they all look like Sarcas to him, to me they are not all Sarcas and explaining why we would never get past first base as demonstrated, copies, they are real and their an many here in Australia, understand the Sarca has been around now for twenty years plus.

Unfortunately you will be seeing many Rocknas and Supremes before long, copies that is, if you take a look at this link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/321193115386?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=94 the ground anchor design in this link are patented by us, this unit was a world first, if you put an Anchor Right ground anchor side by side you will not pick the difference , sadly many of these copies literally fly to pieces under load , they have cast breaker heads, thinner –weaker steel grade fluke plates, steel sizes in all components are inferior to the unit we designed- patented, and is now copied widely.

The copied ground anchors of ours on that link create many problems for us, difference being where they are coming from is clear, so to cover ourselves again ID is the only way we help with a claim should a genuine one be bent, the copies create bad press as you have seen from Noelex whether it is intentional or not, if its bent and the ID says it is ours then you get a replacement.

Regardless of the negatives something is always learnt from both sides of this argument, bent anchors must still work very well otherwise you would think they would be straightened or replaced.

Regards Rex.
congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 03:36   #1724
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
No "dust-up" here.

It is always great to read GMac's comments.

Now, can we get back to discussing anchors rather than personalities?

This thread was never meant to be about anchors, or not specific anchors, and certainly not personalities.

It was meant to focus on the concept 'is a bigger anchor better than a smaller one', if so what quantitative data is there to support any argument for or against. The initial basis for the thread was the idea proposed by a few, and respected, individuals who having changed to G7 chain and who seemed to be strong advocates of bigger anchors.

I would accept that specific anchors might be mentioned to illustrate a point but to use the this thread to attack an anchor maker was never the intention, detracts from the thread and if there is a serious issue on a specific anchor or anchors it should be aired on a separate thread - not 'hidden' (something of a joke considering the furore) in a thread on what i originally thought a very niche subject.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 03:56   #1725

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
This thread was never meant to be about anchors, or not specific anchors, and certainly not personalities.

It was meant to focus on the concept 'is a bigger anchor better than a smaller one', if so what quantitative data is there to support any argument for or against.
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan

I think this thread was really interesting, but came to the end of its useful life.
Probably all the views and arguments regarding "Bigger IS Better" or "Bigger IS NOT Better" were presented and discussed thoroughly.
We can now only see this thread drifting and meandering - unhappily often towards the very personal opinons on the design of particular anchors. Interesting matters, but not belonging to this thread.
So when I want to tell You "Thank You very much for opening this thread" I, at the same time, do believe it is the time for this thread to be closed.

My very best regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Boss, Bugel, fortress, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, rocna