Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2024, 17:21   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Dinghy tow lines, best products, type of line, etc.

@jbinbi,

A "tinny" is an aluminum boat like you'd take fishing. Called a "tinny" as is an aluminum beer can, as well (which used to be tin plated steel, before aluminum came to be used for it), because such fishing ventures also commonly involve an ice chest filled with beverages in "tinnies".

Once heard a guy say into his phone, at breakneck pace, "I'll meet you at the tavvy an' we'll sink a tube or two." It took me a while to figure out what had been meant.
..."Tavvy" = tavern (i.e., purveyor of beer) and the "tube" is the pint beer mug.

Ann
Old 19-02-2024, 06:53   #17

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Bow ring on a hard dingy, have it not too high. It will help keep the dingy from nosing into the water and filling!
Bridle for your soft dingy.

I used poly and got myself in huge breakers towing once. The hard dink would try to pass the mothership when the big boat wallowed at the wave bottom, the dink surfing down 14-16 foot rollers alongside the mothership.
The dink filled with water a few times from dipping sideways as the painter snubbed up tight. The mother ship started down a roller and 3/8" Poly pulled the full dingy straight up in the air out of the water! This action threw all the water out of the dink!

3/8" floating poly is stronger than you would think! Be sure to have a plate or fender washers holding the bow eye!

I dont know how much a water filled 8 ft Dyer Dhow weighs but it may be a ton of water!
Cant recommend towing a dink in any seas over five feet. Just asking for trouble.
Old 23-02-2024, 06:53   #18

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Glued two of these for a bridle:
https://shop.inflatableboatparts.com...triangle-gray/

Used this bridle:
https://shop.inflatableboatparts.com...latable-boats/

Used 3/8" poly or 1/2" poly and experimented for distance astern for best towing and mark it for tying off.

Poly will float with obvious advantage but beware you can still suck it down into the prop during a high rpm start in reverse with the line laying on the surface at the stern....wait to let out your towline until underway slow.
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 07:10   #19

Boat: Oyster 49

Always surprised me how many people tow using a bit of old sheet. It does not float and seems an accident waiting to happen. This is especially so in charter boats in the med.
For me then, floating line attached to the two towing rings.

In addition I have a much shorter line with a big snap shackle on the end attached to the single central ring. Makes attaching oneself to a ring or cleat much easier than dealing with metres of towing line.
TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 07:29   #20

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

What you want is a waterskiing tow line (it floats).

1. Confirm the bow eye in your dinghy is secured with nylock nuts the standard nuts will back off over time towing

2. Purchase a large anchor/dock line shock absorber. Davis makes one and you need one that you can barely stretch by hand if you’re easily able to extend it then it’s too small.

3. Place two truckers hitches in the towline as close as possible to the dinghy end of the tow line. They need to be spaced to allow the shock absorber to extend fully but not be over extended or take the entire load alone.

4. A large stainless carabiner is what I use to attach the tow line to the dinghy eye. I do not recommend using the two rings that are glued on most ribs they will tear in choppy conditions

5. On the tow boat side secure the line to a heavy cleat and adjust the length to suit the conditions and don’t forget to pull the dinghy close prior to entering a crowded area or approaching a dock.

6. It’s always a good idea to remove any heavy items along with anything that may be lost in rough conditions. If you’re towing a RIB make sure it’s fully inflated if you have a bench seat in place they will flop off loose tubes possibly going in the water.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 07:32   #21

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
In addition I have a much shorter line with a big snap shackle on the end attached to the single central ring. Makes attaching oneself to a ring or cleat much easier than dealing with metres of towing line.
Never trust a standard snap shackle as the only connection on either end of your dinghy line! I have rescued numerous dinghies drifting with snap shackles. I used to use floating line for the dink, but have subsequently just made it 100% routine to pull in the dink on short scope once approaching the harbor. Having a dink on a long line astern when in close to other boats, moorings, docks, etc. is asking for trouble, whether or not it is floating.
Old 23-02-2024, 09:15   #22

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Never trust a standard snap shackle as the only connection on either end of your dinghy line! I have rescued numerous dinghies drifting with snap shackles. I used to use floating line for the dink, but have subsequently just made it 100% routine to pull in the dink on short scope once approaching the harbor. Having a dink on a long line astern when in close to other boats, moorings, docks, etc. is asking for trouble, whether or not it is floating.
The big snap shackle is for mooring to a cleat or a ring or another yacht. Not for towing
TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 09:32   #23

Boat: Privilege 37

A cat towing a dink on a long dyneema line out in far east got in a difficult situation due to fishing pots and had to backtrack. While turning and trying to avoid the pots, the dyneema line got caught by the prop and was trying to pull the line off the cleat on the cat. The cleat proved stronger than the engine mounting and ripped a major hole in the bottom of the boat as the engine was pulled over on its side by the line from the prop of the saildrive. The cat was flooded.

3 lessons to learn

Never forget you are towing a dink and tend that line when necessary.
The strength of the line is important, but too strong is as bad as too weak.
Fit rope cutters to your props.
Old 23-02-2024, 09:55   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The big snap shackle is for mooring to a cleat or a ring or another yacht. Not for towing
They come undone. I've met some nice folks after I rescued their dinghies when the snap shackle opened. Also, they rattle.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 10:38   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Kelttlewell's comments are really interesting. Never thought of looping a line over the transom and under the boat on our little inflatable. Nice.

We always use floating poly. Some other lines may be stronger and stretchier, but we fear running over a tow line and having to dive in the cold waters of Maine.

Cheers. Spring and yard season are just around the corner here in New England.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 16:42   #26

I have a 2017 Zodiac Aero Floor that's 8ft 10in long. It has side bridles on the port and starboard side of the bow. I tie nylon dock lines to both sides of the Zodiac and lead each to the port and starboard stern cleats. In heavy air (30 knots) and seas, I tie it short so it rides behind the transom. Because the tow lines are short, it doesn't fly up and flip over. Another nice thing about the Zodiac Cadet is the automatic drain in the transom. When it rains or a wave gets inside, the water drains without me having to stop and climb into the dinghy to bail it out.
nrx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 18:01   #27

Boat: Lagoon 500

Would definitely use floating line. A Lagoon 500 was sunk in Thailand by the tender line getting caught in the prop..
AndyinAbudhabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 20:33   #28

Boat: Logan 33

Remember to shorten the tow line before engaging reverse, such as when you’re anchoring. I learned this the hard way
Lindsaymcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 00:16   #29

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Speaking of inflatables. Hypalon is really amazing stuff and worth the extra $$ IMHO.

We have 37 year-old Avon that lives on our wharf all summer. Still holds air fine.

I wonder how long our 11 year-old Achilles will last? Is modern hypalon as durable as the old stuff?

Cheers
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 06:45   #30

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
New England Ropes offer a double braided, floating Dinghy Tow Rope, of nylon [chafe & UV resistance] over polypropylene [3/8" rated 2900# BS, & 7/16" rated 5050# BS].
https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store...inghy-tow-rope

I used a manufactured Dinghy Towing Bridle, made of similar materials to above NER product, rigged similar to BoatUS diagram, below.

Hey Gord
Thanks for the info. A little surprised that the dinghy bridle is an open loop. I would worry that would be subject to sawing action that would chafe the bowline loop on the tow line.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy