Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2024, 15:56   #1

Post Hypalon Adhesive Research Summary

After a very long slog through Hypalon adhesive research, trial & error, I share my findings with you all to pay it forward. If you are in the UK, the world of hypalon glue is your oyster. If in the US, like me, options are much more limited. Pardon the mixing of units - I tried to convert where possible.

Personally Tried
  • Bostik 2402 + D40 cure
    • ~$80/liter + ~$25/shipping
    • 1-year shelf-life; 3-4h pot life
    • Nice mixing & application. Seems like the best bang for the buck in the US for large jobs.
    • I have more faith that you can store this unmixed but opened for longer periods than Clifton or Weaver, but only time will tell.
    • Skygeek.com only in the US. Everywhere else in the UK.
  • Clifton/Shore/Hypalon FA1065 + Accelerator
    • $34.95/pint (~1/2 liter) + $15.95 accelerator + ~$10 shipping
    • 1-year shelf-life --> painfully true. Attempted to use 7 months out of date in perfect conditions and the mix was useless within 10 minutes.
    • I suspect this is a use-it-all-or-toss-it like Weaver, but haven't tested.
    • Multiple sources: NRS, ColoradoKayak, others
  • Weaver Adhesives + Cure
    • $50/8 oz. kit + shipping
    • 1 year shelf-life
    • This one is basically, once you crack it it's done - use it all or toss it.
    • The bond is so-so. Probably best if brand new, but the longer it gets into it's 1 year I think it declines (yes, storing it properly)
Haven't Tried, But Found While Researching:
  • Polymarine 2990 + 3365 Cure
    • WestMarine in the US murders us with ~$70/250mL where it's around $56USD/L in the UK
    • 2-year shelf life
  • Seamax Hypalon Glue + Hardener
    • Also not cheap on Amazon at $69/250mL, but
    • 3-year shelf life
    • Claims it's designed to sit around for a while. Methinks this would be the best option to carry while cruising for small patch jobs on skiff or SUP.
  • RemaTipTop: They make 2 versions a toxic and non-toxic. BLACK ONLY. In the US from alltiresupply.com
    • SC2000 + UT-R20 Hardener (toxic), 4 years (!!) shelf-life, ~$90/0.5kg+$20/cure. (i don't what surface area this could cover)
    • SC4000 + E40 Hardener (non-tox), 2 year shelf, $100/.66kg+$23/cure) (again don't know coverage)
  • Stabond UK-148 (2-part)
    • $95/32oz ~1 L ** although hyside.com is on backorder at this price
    • 1 year shelf
  • Alpha S2000 Parts A & B - UK Only, but on eBay the seller ships international (i'd worry about the expiry date of what was received though)
    • $23/250mL + $17 US shipping
    • 1 year shelf
My purposes have included a full rub-rail reattachment, a hypalon perimeter strip with Velcro sewn on for chaps, small leak patches. Through all of this, there is no doubt that surface prep and environmental conditions during application are critical.

This is the list I wished I had found in my research. Hope it helps others.
SollaSollew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 13:10   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Hypalon Adhesive Research Summary

That's a super list you put together. Thank you.

We had excellent results with SC2000, and later SC4000 by Rema Tip Top. The 2000 lasted about 5 yrs before setting up in the 1 l. tin. You never know when you're going to need a patch! And, the bond just lasts.

One time we needed to bond a PVC floor onto an old Zodiac hypalon dinghy. We used 3m5200 for that, and it stayed good for the 5 yrs before we sold that dinghy to an afficionado, and bought a new one.

Ann
Old 27-02-2024, 14:06   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Nice.

I think it is important to note that these are adhesives for bonding hypalon, not adhesives that themselves contain hypalon.

I used the Weaver adhesive for an unrelated project -- bonding EPDM rub rails to the fiberglass-coated gunwales on my dinghy. Worked great for that. The bond is very strong. From the label, apparently the bonding ingredient is rosin.
Old 27-02-2024, 14:18   #4

I have had pretty good luck with Cliftons. But like everything, prep is everything and try to apply it very thin.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, arc, research