Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2024, 13:57   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Dinghy tow lines, best products, type of line, etc.

Haven't towed a dinghy in 20 years, but have to do it again for my 8' slat floored model. What is best way to connect, should it be to the ring on the front or the sides, I see West Marine makes a tow kit, is that worth it?

Used to use poly line so it would float, not sure with advent of dyneema in the past 20 years if that should be used instead.

Also, do you keep a second line attached in case the first one goes?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 14:17   #2

Re: Dinghy tow lines, best products, type of line, etc.

Dyneema is great stuff because it is high strength and very low stretch.

In a towing application, I think you want some stretch to absorb energy when the line snaps taught. Without it, your tow points and the line will experience jarring loads. The same rationale behind an anchor snubber.

I’m not sure what the state of the art is. I like floating poly as well, but I haven’t put much thought into it and do not tow for more than a few coastal miles so perhaps someone has a better suggestion.
fregata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 14:31   #3

I tow a big tinny behind my cat, on a bridle and long line. I use polypropylene, this was after speaking to commercial fishing boats who tow multiple dories in open waters.
Miyalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 14:37   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks. Don't know what a big tinny is, but do you know the thickness/size of your poly line? Do you use a second line in case the 1st one fails while towing?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 14:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

This is how I do it.

I have a tow line attached to the stern and another towline attached to the bow of the dink.

At the stern I have a s/s bridle I fashioned with an eye in the middle so that it can get around the outboard engine. The rear tow line is attached to this eye. The bridle is attached to the dink transom on a padeye, on each side if the engine, which is through bolted with 4 bolts, so it's very strong.

When I'm towing, I have both towlines in hand, which I tie to the top rail of the stern pulpit. I tie the rear tow line about about an half inch to one inch closer to the mother boat, than the bow tow line, depending on how far back I set the dink based on wind and wave. I like to tie it to the stern rail as it tends to keep bow of the dink up and is, off course, easy to get to.

This puts the strain of towing on the rear tow line, which is very strong. The bow line keeps the dink pointed straight ahead.

I have used this method for years, and it has worked well for me. You will likely have to come up with your own scheme based on this.

My tow lines are ....I think....5/16" ....not sure anymore...as they have seen some use, they are some type of braided line I've had for years.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 15:07   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Need to spread the load out on any inflatable. I rigged lines from each side ring that then went through the bow ring, tied in a loop that I then attached a long double-braid nylon single tow line to. Double braid offers reasonably bounce, but not too much, and is much easier to handle than 3-strand. Never found a long bridle necessary for towing. Sometimes, depending on the inflatable, it is better to tow it close to the stern of the big boat where the bow stays up and the boat is protected somewhat from seas. I have never had any problems towing from either stern cleat on my boat, even though that puts the line slightly off center.
Old 17-02-2024, 16:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks. Don't know what a big tinny is, but do you know the thickness/size of your poly line? Do you use a second line in case the 1st one fails while towing?
Probably not much help for you, its a 4.75m centre console, the tow line is 25mm.

I dont use a second line, if that 25mm line fails I figure I have bigger problems than the tinny!!
Miyalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 16:30   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

I use lifering rope. It's bright & it floats. / L
Old 17-02-2024, 16:57   #9
Marine Service Provider

The tow rings on a rubber dink are usually glued either side of the bow. That is not the sturdiest of connections imo.
A RIB will have a s/s thru' bolted eye in the fiberglass hull near the bow, a much stronger setup.
Or you can do as I suggested and use two tow lines.
As for line, your call really, as there are many options, most any of which will be suitable..
Old 18-02-2024, 04:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

New England Ropes offer a double braided, floating Dinghy Tow Rope, of nylon [chafe & UV resistance] over polypropylene [3/8" rated 2900# BS, & 7/16" rated 5050# BS].
https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store...inghy-tow-rope

I used a manufactured Dinghy Towing Bridle, made of similar materials to above NER product, rigged similar to BoatUS diagram, below.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 06:19   #11

I wonder why they say "don't use bow ring when towing" since that is often to single strongest attachment on many dinks? On our 10-foot Achilles with rollup aluminum floorboards we towed it hundreds, maybe thousands of miles with lines attached to both side rings, then led through the bow ring to spread out the load as much as possible. None of the rings failed in about 10 years of use.
Old 18-02-2024, 07:06   #12

These are the towing instructions in one Achilles handbook I found online:
Quote:
Towing Recommendations:
Do not tow with outboard engine attached. Tow only with soft rope.
If your boat is to be towed frequently, it is best to use the towing "D" rings (if installed)
(one on each side of boat) so that along with the bow towing ring, all three share the
stress. If you do not add tow rings, it is best to loop tow line around wooden transom
(inside the pontoons) and then under bow through front "D" ring. This will make the boat
tow easier without plowing.
Old 18-02-2024, 07:17   #13

I bought a poly line advertised for towing tubes behind a ski boat. For safety I bought the highest strength version available at the store (10ft dinghy with solid floor and 9.9 4stroke.. It’s bright, floats and seems super strong. Currently I only connect it to the front eye welded to the floor. I’ve had no issues.
PSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 08:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Haven't towed a dinghy in 20 years, but have to do it again for my 8' slat floored model. What is best way to connect, should it be to the ring on the front or the sides, I see West Marine makes a tow kit, is that worth it?

Used to use poly line so it would float, not sure with advent of dyneema in the past 20 years if that should be used instead.

Also, do you keep a second line attached in case the first one goes?
Bow ring on a hard dingy, have it not too high. It will help keep the dingy from nosing into the water and filling!
Bridle for your soft dingy.

I used poly and got myself in huge breakers towing once. The hard dink would try to pass the mothership when the big boat wallowed at the wave bottom, the dink surfing down 14-16 foot rollers alongside the mothership.
The dink filled with water a few times from dipping sideways as the painter snubbed up tight. The mother ship started down a roller and 3/8" Poly pulled the full dingy straight up in the air out of the water! This action threw all the water out of the dink!

3/8" floating poly is stronger than you would think! Be sure to have a plate or fender washers holding the bow eye!

I dont know how much a water filled 8 ft Dyer Dhow weighs but it may be a ton of water!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 16:29   #15
Marine Service Provider

Using my double line technique, explained elsewhere here, you can tow a dink with the engine on, as the transom is taking all the strain...
Hmmmm.....wonder if I should patent that idea

Tags
dinghy