Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 14:01   #91

Re: Switching Back to Hank-on for the Headsail

There is also the point about the $5-$10k it would cost to switch to roller furling. Even if you would rather have roller furling, that is a bitter pill to swallow. If cost was not objective, I would probably go with shane's setup too. Put a Yankee on the furler and leave the staysail hank-on. Of course this means I would also want yet another soft furler for a light air sail.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 14:33   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Switching Back to Hank-on for the Headsail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
There is also the point about the $5-$10k it would cost to switch to roller furling. Even if you would rather have roller furling, that is a bitter pill to swallow. If cost was not objective, I would probably go with shane's setup too. Put a Yankee on the furler and leave the staysail hank-on. Of course this means I would also want yet another soft furler for a light air sail.
Asymmetric spinnaker on a single line..??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 14:38   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Asymmetric spinnaker on a single line..??
I have an Asym already with an ATN sock. If I had a yankee on the headstay I would really like a drifter too since i could not just throw the 135% on in light winds.

Certainly it would be very optional
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 16:17   #94

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Once we get our boat on the water and get a chance to try it out we'll know more. But our sailmaker we went to is familiar with the Legend 37 because he used to race one. He told me that the boat originally came with a 120 jib but because of the big main few people have put more than a 135 on them.

Our new 135 that we got with the boat is a high cut. Not as high as a true Yankee but higher than a full 135 genoa. Our sailmaker feels that sail will be the best all around for up to 15-20 kts wind and might lose a little windward performance with it as compared to a full genoa, but not much. And with the higher clew it will keep it out of the water.

His general feeling was that the Legend 37 is a pretty fast boat and the power is in that big roach main while all the jib does is add a little balance. And the jib is pretty small in comparison to a masthead rig so it's not like it's a minivan sized sail like someone else mentioned.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 14:01   #95

It's a shame when an idea gets written off on the basis of implementations which did not work, without taking account of ones which did. It's a bit like saying swimming is a bad idea, because of swimmers who drowned...

If properly designed and purpose-built and properly set up, a slab reefing genoa which is built with the strength of a #3 (and reef points at that location) but which shakes up to a #2 can, in my experience, be a real (and durable) asset on a hanks-only boat.

This is especially feasible on smaller boats, below say 32' (where offshore sails tend to be heavier in relation to the loads), but it have seen it done successfully on boats up to maxi size, with good material selection and careful detailing.

Provided the tack downhaul (preferably at least 2:1, in which case it can come back both port and stbd) and halyard come back to the cockpit, and sheets are left attached to both clews, it's eminently possible (and supremely satisfying) when coastal sailing on a tender, smaller boat with several on watch, to reef for gusts and shake it out for lulls, with less effort and flogging than when trying to do that with a roller furler, and with better sail shape and arguably less unfair loading, especially at the head (which is always a problem for using a furler for reefing).
It's not necessary (at least on smaller boats) to use a winch on the halyard, just overhoist and then use the multipart downhaul to achieve luff tension, also by hand.

There's no need to bundle up the spare bunt of sailcloth on the deck for such situations; simply snug up the windward lazy sheet to stop the lazy clew flopping about (and to stop the foot going overboard between stanchions and scooping up the bow-wave).

And to anyone for whom the above sounds like a lot of work, it's always going to be a lot of work getting a boat answering to this description to windward in a breeze. I'm pitching my post at people who don't mind a bit of work, provided it makes the boat go where you need it to go with efficiency and despatch.

I don't have anything against furlers, BTW. Not the ones which work well ...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:51   #96

If you feel the need to give up reefing/furling headsail to go back to hank ons, good for you. I similarly regressed went from guns back to a bow and enjoyed doing it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 09:55   #97

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I prefer hank on but you don't need to give up the furler, just watch ebay for an old mariner rollerstay that furls your hank on sails, they are old but well made with bearings available from the bearing house. Very recommended by Steve Dashew in his cruising encyclopedia. I picked one up last year for $100 that will be going on my Gemini this summer.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 12:49   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I prefer hank on but you don't need to give up the furler, just watch ebay for an old mariner rollerstay that furls your hank on sails, they are old but well made with bearings available from the bearing house. Very recommended by Steve Dashew in his cruising encyclopedia. I picked one up last year for $100 that will be going on my Gemini this summer.

Steve.
How the heck does that work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 13:07   #99

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Just Googled it.

Looks like this: http://www.longpassages.org/Document...20Brochure.pdf
Old 14-02-2014, 13:11   #100

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Looks like it may be hard on the luff of the sail, wrapped around the hanks like that.
Old 14-02-2014, 13:30   #101

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

Just looked up the Mariner Rollerstay. Interesting concept. Have never seen one on a boat before. Price on the brochure around $1800 for up to 50' boat length and was at least as old early 90s I wood think without a web page. That seems about the same as a Harken would have been back then. Thinking there is some reason the concept never took off?
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 11:56   #102

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Looks like it may be hard on the luff of the sail, wrapped around the hanks like that.
I thought the same thing but apparently it is a non issue, the Dashews had one on their Columbia 50 on their first circumnavigation. Btw, Facnor makes a version, they call it a structural wire furler, they have two models, the STG 3T and 4T. Big bucks though. The Mariner is well made and looks to be very serviceable.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 12:29   #103

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Switching back to hank-on for the headsail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
... I use to be the same way with varnished teak. Now I've regressed into something less than a normal man.
Love the Turtle Bay shot Martin! Hard to worry about wrinkles in that town. Hard to remember to change clothes once a week What day of the week is it anyway?

Tags
head, sail