Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2023, 15:39   #796

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Chotu’s Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

I’ll stand by for a bit to see if you have something I can buy.

That was correct about the grip length. Needs to be able to accommodate the 2 1/2” wide set of tangs in the pic. The toggle fits inside those slots.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 00:24   #797

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
sorry...didn't attach the pic properly

Can put a bent tang on the outside to further support the bolt. This is done with regular tangs as well. Not sure about stacking two shrouds on a single Cheeky Tang - what do Colligo have to say about that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1166.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	282538

Name:	IMG_1698132221.125140.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	282539
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 00:27   #798

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
chotu has 1/2” steel shrouds like us and we would need to go to 16mm Dyneema, so he should be good to go with them

Our cap shrouds were 12mm 1x19 wire. 18mm DUX was specified by Colligo (John Franta). Sized for extended cruising - coastal specification could be smaller. Anyway, no Blue Wave gear for our rig sadly.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 01:47   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Can put a bent tang on the outside to further support the bolt. This is done with regular tangs as well. Not sure about stacking two shrouds on a single Cheeky Tang - what do Colligo have to say about that?

Attachment 282538

Attachment 282539

This would be really easy to do in the case of a conversion.

you already have the original tangs or bolts.

you just put the new bolt in slightly below them, attach them with a piece of metal and you have the double support.

and the second picture you posted is really really interesting.

I have tangs for my uppers exactly like that. The conversion for the uppers would be so simple!

Just stick some sheaves in the existing tangs!

Like this. Excuse the poor Photoshop.

Then just run your eye around the sheaves.

No need for expensive, difficult to find when remote, marine hardware of any kind.

My theory is still the more you can get away from specialty marine things, the easier life on the water gets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	117F6929-42AC-4EFE-8989-5689776E9BE0.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	282540  
Old 24-10-2023, 11:09   #800
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Were it me...I'd have a tang fabricated with an upside down Y configuration. Place a shroud on each leg of the upside down Y.
On the long leg, I'd have an aluminum compression tube extend thru' the mast and cut flush with the outside edge of the mast. Place the bolt thru' this. This does two things, it gives the bolt/compression tube more bearing surface area as well avoiding any mast compression by over tightening the bolt.
Being a belts and braces kind of guy, I'd also make the long leg long enough to handle a few screws for additional support and also to stop the tang from moving around.

The thickness and width of the tang should take into account the load which will bear on it. The location of the hole should also be located so that there is sufficient metal under the bearing surface.

My 2c....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 19:21   #801

Boat: Cape Dory 31

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ct-280725.html

Check out #9 for a different take on chainplate fabrication. I know you are beyond this point but you may find it interesting nonetheless.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 19:40   #802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ct-280725.html

Check out #9 for a different take on chainplate fabrication. I know you are beyond this point but you may find it interesting nonetheless.

The thing is, that’s not anything new to me. It’s one of the ways to do a composite chain plate out of carbon. A good technique. I did mine in glass. Also a good technique. I have talked to Teddy over the years. He may not know exactly who I am on this forum, but we have talked many times over the years online. Different forum. He had some good ideas and helped in the forming of some of my boat building techniques along with Richard Woods, Eric Sponberg and several other non-famous but very intelligent boatbuilders and designers from around the world. There was a large group that lent their centuries of combined professional boat building and designing experience to some early parts of my project. Things like materials choices, build techniques, understanding what my cryptic designer was even talking about, etc.

I was even “this close “ to building the boat at Goetz composites. But… Florida was cheaper rent and working year round with no heating bill

Then I put together a crack team with guys who had worked at Hunter, Catalina, Tartan and Hinckley. In the beginning, it was just me. Practicing infusions on rudders and dagger boards. Then it was me and the Hunter guy. We did all the bulkheads first. Infused them. Then we did the hulls and infused them. Then the Catalina and Hinckley guys joined for the assembly of everything, taping it all together. I mixed every drop of epoxy and directed the team. I wanted good mix ratios.
Later, a couple college kids spent an entire year fairing the hulls.
The tartan guy did the composite chain plates because at this point, after mixing hundreds and hundreds of gallons of epoxy, I couldn’t do it anymore.

A rambling post I guess. BUT… teddy actually helped out a bit in the early days with suggestions on materials and techniques. It’s a small world. I’m grateful for his suggestions way back when. He’s a knowledgeable guy (who has the same screen name everywhere…lol)
Old 25-10-2023, 05:55   #803

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The thing is, that’s not anything new to me. It’s one of the ways to do a composite chain plate out of carbon. A good technique. I did mine in glass. Also a good technique. I have talked to Teddy over the years. He may not know exactly who I am on this forum, but we have talked many times over the years online. Different forum. He had some good ideas and helped in the forming of some of my boat building techniques along with Richard Woods, Eric Sponberg and several other non-famous but very intelligent boatbuilders and designers from around the world. There was a large group that lent their centuries of combined professional boat building and designing experience to some early parts of my project. Things like materials choices, build techniques, understanding what my cryptic designer was even talking about, etc.

I was even “this close “ to building the boat at Goetz composites. But… Florida was cheaper rent and working year round with no heating bill

Then I put together a crack team with guys who had worked at Hunter, Catalina, Tartan and Hinckley. In the beginning, it was just me. Practicing infusions on rudders and dagger boards. Then it was me and the Hunter guy. We did all the bulkheads first. Infused them. Then we did the hulls and infused them. Then the Catalina and Hinckley guys joined for the assembly of everything, taping it all together. I mixed every drop of epoxy and directed the team. I wanted good mix ratios.
Later, a couple college kids spent an entire year fairing the hulls.
The tartan guy did the composite chain plates because at this point, after mixing hundreds and hundreds of gallons of epoxy, I couldn’t do it anymore.

A rambling post I guess. BUT… teddy actually helped out a bit in the early days with suggestions on materials and techniques. It’s a small world. I’m grateful for his suggestions way back when. He’s a knowledgeable guy (who has the same screen name everywhere…lol)
Hello.... sent you an email re: that pin.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 06:15   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post

Got it, responded. Waiting for that invoice email. Sending one right now. I’ll resend.
Old 25-10-2023, 10:32   #805

Quote:

Been sending multiple messages to you, to orders@ the Yacht Rigger. Nothing. I don’t know what’s going on.
Old 26-10-2023, 04:54   #806

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Been sending multiple messages to you, to orders@ the Yacht Rigger. Nothing. I don’t know what’s going on.
I'll ask the orders@ team this morning, but I have not seen a response to my email from a couple days ago.
The pin is made, I was trying to confirm mailing address - your email has zero signature, no name or anything, so I can't look you up in our system.

Can you send it to stephen@theyachtrigger.com?
Old 26-10-2023, 05:09   #807

Quote:
I'll ask the orders@ team this morning, but I have not seen a response to my email from a couple days ago.
The pin is made, I was trying to confirm mailing address - your email has zero signature, no name or anything, so I can't look you up in our system.

Can you send it to stephen@theyachtrigger.com?
OK. Just sent it again to all of you.m, including your address above.

Maybe you’ll be able to look it up by email address but I have again included my name, where the shipping is going. Billing stuff.

Not sure what is happening.

It’s Gmail and it’s getting delivered to your mail server. It’s not bouncing

I’m going to text you. It’s easier anyway.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:45   #808

Ok, mast is up. Ran into ONE problem.

My topping lift or main halyard jammed!

It seems to have overrun the other one in the same sheave box.

Any tips?

I'm really foggy after all these months but I think there used to be a divider up there and it didn't fit so I skipped it. I think. That's all I can reason out.

That's something that can be addressed by a rigger going aloft, right?
Old 09-11-2023, 10:58   #809

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Ok, mast is up. Ran into ONE problem.

My topping lift or main halyard jammed!

It seems to have overrun the other one in the same sheave box.

Any tips?

I'm really foggy after all these months but I think there used to be a divider up there and it didn't fit so I skipped it. I think. That's all I can reason out.

That's something that can be addressed by a rigger going aloft, right?
Correct, as long as there's still a solid halyard to go up on.
Old 09-11-2023, 13:48   #810

Quote:
Correct, as long as there's still a solid halyard to go up on.
Cool!

yes, there is a working halyard but there is no winch at this point. I guess there is no rush until I have the running rigging done anyway.

additional question. With the 3.5ft rake, there is a little gap at the mast base forward where the mast doesn't touch the mounting plate.

Just get a shim together for that?

Tags
rigging