Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2023, 13:49   #811

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Also, I’ve never been so tempted to post pictures of my boat.

Not yet though. I could probably post a picture of the rig but the overall boat looks really good now with the rig up. Exciting
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 14:21   #812

A couple pics of the rig without showing the boat. Running rigging thread will be next in a bit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66B6D917-81A6-432B-8E0A-00C1609D59CF.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	283229   Click image for larger version

Name:	BDE5408F-E42A-4247-A765-06FD0F628DA3.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	283230  

Old 09-11-2023, 14:31   #813

One more standing rigging thing.

it’s not really tightened up like crazy. How much pretension should this have? I remember the technique to measure the stretch in the stainless
Old 09-11-2023, 14:33   #814

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

That's looking much better!
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 14:47   #815

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That's looking much better!

Thank you! Check your DMs
Old 09-11-2023, 15:54   #816
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Chotu, it goes without saying that the bottom of your mast should be flush with the mast support plate.
Shimming on it's own is not a fix, as the shim only provides contact at the location of the shim.
The entire perimeter wall of the mast should bear on on the mast plate, otherwise the compression load on the mast will bear only on one end or side opening the door for potential problems.
I'b be more inclined to shim the mast plate, ie, between the plate and the cabin top, and inject epoxy under that plate for a more solid bearing surface. This way the mast plate and mast will have uniform contact, and the mast plate, being one piece, uniformly supported by the injected epoxy.
Not sure if this is possible to do off course, in which case, you'll have to resort to shims of different thicknesses around the bottom perimeter of the mast. Might be tricky to get that done right.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 15:58   #817

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Chotu, it goes without saying that the bottom of your mast should be flush with the mast support plate.
Shimming on it's own is not a fix, as the shim only provides contact at the location of the shim.
The entire perimeter wall of the mast should bear on on the mast plate, otherwise the compression load on the mast will bear only on one end or side opening the door for potential problems.
I'b be more inclined to shim the mast plate, ie, between the plate and the cabin top, and inject epoxy under that plate for a more solid bearing surface. This way the mast plate and mast will have uniform contact, and the mast plate, being one piece, uniformly supported by the injected epoxy.
Not sure if this is possible to do off course, in which case, you'll have to resort to shims of different thicknesses around the bottom perimeter of the mast. Might be tricky to get that done right.
Thanks for answering this.

I didnít mean like a set of little shims. I meant like a big horseshoe shaped shim. One that can shim the entire thing in one shot. Basically what you are talking about.

Itís definitely too late to do anything with the plate itself. But I can put a wedge in there to help distribute things a little bit better.
Old 09-11-2023, 16:14   #818
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I didn’t mean like a set of little shims. I meant like a big horseshoe shaped shim. One that can shim the entire thing in one shot. Basically what you are talking about.

Yeah, that would work....what will the shim be made out of ??

And how will it stay in place ??
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 17:56   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I didn’t mean like a set of little shims. I meant like a big horseshoe shaped shim. One that can shim the entire thing in one shot. Basically what you are talking about.

Yeah, that would work....what will the shim be made out of ??

And how will it stay in place ??

I just worked from 6:30 AM until 4:30 PM with no break and only had a piece of toast. I am in no condition to design something right now lol

Maybe it’s aluminum. I don’t know how it’s held in place. Epoxy maybe. Better yet, it can just be screwed to the mast. Like tabs from it screwed to the mast.

It’s going to have thousands of pounds of pressure holding it in place too so it’s not all that likely to go anywhere.

It’s a small 1/4” gap
Old 09-11-2023, 23:54   #820

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Cool!

yes, there is a working halyard but there is no winch at this point. I guess there is no rush until I have the running rigging done anyway.

additional question. With the 3.5ft rake, there is a little gap at the mast base forward where the mast doesn't touch the mounting plate.

Just get a shim together for that?
Do you have a turnbuckle in the forestay?
Release the uppers and lowers a little bit and pull the forestay a little bit until the mast has a good contact with the mast step.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 02:19   #821

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Do you have a turnbuckle in the forestay?
Release the uppers and lowers a little bit and pull the forestay a little bit until the mast has a good contact with the mast step.
I do have a turnbuckle in the forestay, but I don’t want to do that. Everything is correct. I don’t want to screw up the rake. Everything was painstakingly calculated to be perfect. The mast step just isn't on an angle. It's flat
Old 10-11-2023, 02:31   #822

I've corrected this before, on a Lipari and a Lagoon, if the mast don't grip on its edges on the step , you risk: 1, an strong accidental gybe and a hig percentage of a broken mast increases / 2, a nice crack in the mast, no matter if the culprit is the mast step or the rake..
Old 10-11-2023, 02:33   #823

Quote:
I've corrected this before, on a Lipari and a Lagoon, if the mast don't grip on its edges on the step , you risk: 1, an strong accidental gybe and a hig percentage of a broken mast increases / 2, a nice crack in the mast, no matter if the culprit is the mast step or the rake..
Right. So the horseshoe shaped shim to distribute the load evenly.

How do you risk an accidental gybe? That’s not something I’m understanding.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:43   #824

Try DWS with a newbie at the helm, full mainsail and no preventer, but it doesn't matter, the fact is that the perimeter of the mast should bite around its entire perimeter,otherwise it's a few tons of compression at one point of the mast, just figure...
Old 10-11-2023, 03:27   #825

Quote:
Try DWS with a newbie at the helm, full mainsail and no preventer, but it doesn't matter, the fact is that the perimeter of the mast should bite around its entire perimeter,otherwise it's a few tons of compression at one point of the mast, just figure...

I mean, you just brought this up. You just said that not having the mast make full contact around the perimeter will cause an accidental gybe. How does that happen? I need to know this. You can’t just make a claim like that and then abandon it. That a big statement. One people need to know about. I can't see the mechanics of this.

So the shim allows it to connect around the entire perimeter. Where would the problem be after that?

Tags
rigging