Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2023, 09:28   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

OK, I have had enough time to recover from all of the bad experiences and I’m ready to go back and get my teeth knocked out again lol

I am not the smartest. Lol

I’m going to try to concurrently get the boat ready to sell and ready for winter. All while launching a new business. Should be a great time lol (sarcasm)

However, I am up north so there is ample opportunity in the day to get work done without heat problems and a refreshed happy feeling. As fall develops, it will get even better.

So here we go!

This post is an introduction, in words, to the standing rigging project.

There will be several posts made just as the introduction with a lot of pictures. I’m working on these posts today.

I hope to paint a good picture in this thread of everything going on with the standing rigging.

There will be another thread for the running rigging later, which I may not get to before spring.

I’ll show exactly what’s going on and will I have some questions and welcome input. Especially from those that are experienced with this type of boat and this type of rigging in general. Although anyone familiar with rigging should probably understand this and be able to make suggestions as well.

I am a novice when it comes to rigging. In my life I have always purchased a boat that had existing rigging and just learned how to sell that boat. I have actually never changed the rigging on any of the boats I have bought. I have replaced the rigging but never changed the actual set up. So I don’t know what I don’t know. And I also don’t know what I want. That will come into play more with the running rigging.

In this thread it will be standing rigging only.

Now I will share the parts that I have on hand as well as how the rigging is set up right now. There will be several post acting as an introduction.

The first question I will have is mating the existing uppers and lowers to the chainplates. This is going to be tricky. It’s a Colligo thing to figure out. Going to use lashings to mate them.

Here we go!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 10:01   #2

Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

First, a sketch showing the lay of the land. This is the rig. This is how it is set up.

It is a pretty standard catamaran rig. Nothing too high tech.

It’s a double diamond spreader set up with uppers and lowers and a forestay.

It has 3.5 feet of rake at the top. There is no pre-bend.

On hand I have all of the standing rigging that came with the mast and it pretty much new. Good shape.

The mast was originally designed to step up on top of a deck house on the same size boat as mine.

As you can imagine, changing the lower part of the mast by adding a section such that I can step it on the deck in my case has changed the length of the metal wire everywhere.

To combat this, I purchased a new forestay. To make up for it at the chainplates, I would like to do a Colligo style lashing onto some sort of ring or something to get the upper and lower in line. They are currently too short.

Here are the sketches.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEEE6ADB-2932-4865-83D0-DF8239332900.jpeg
Views:	3341
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	278520   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C49FB1E-3AE6-468C-A701-61495CADE8DB.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	278521  

Old 23-07-2023, 10:10   #3

Next step, we have some bits and pieces here. Because people will be asking, I’m showing the Mast step, chain plates and all of that stuff. Right in the beginning and the introduction of the thread. That way everyone is on the same page.

First step, we have the mast step and the receptacle for it that goes into the bottom of the mast itself. The mast step is the thing bolted to the deck. It’s in the wrong place. The last guy didn’t follow the plans or my instructions. It needs to catch the main structural bulkhead as well as the one it is sitting upon that running fore and aft in the picture (and out of sight below deck)

I think what I’m going to do is add an extra plate of metal below the mast step in order to spread that load out some more and give me a spot to put some deck organization blocks. This will allow it to catch the main structural bulkhead which is aft next to that green material behind it.

Open to some opinions on this part.

Additionally, in this post, you can see the brand new sheaves, I really cleaned all of that stuff up and ordered and installed those. They are very nice. Zephyrwerks is the company.

You can also see my chainplates as well as the stainless pins that go through the chain plates to hold the rigging

You can see the inside of the boat where half of the chain plate comes down inside. The other half comes down on the outside of the boat. These are pretty robust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B9D8F4D1-0CC7-4A4A-AA4F-0F454BAFE587.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	278522   Click image for larger version

Name:	422464DA-B3AF-44FE-B0BD-BE722CA10FA2.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	278523  

Name:	8F649BFF-0D39-4807-B968-DEA056135382.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	278524   Click image for larger version

Name:	7F326FBF-0008-41AA-992C-4CB79525BB0E.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	278525  

Name:	7A8E10BC-E39C-45AF-93D6-4326A4AB1784.jpeg
Views:	3279
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	278526   Click image for larger version

Name:	C9CA49A2-5CE3-48C0-9817-D651F6CE0D16.jpeg
Views:	3285
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	278527  

Old 23-07-2023, 10:16   #4

Here we have a picture of what I am sort of trying to do. I want to attach one side of my Colligo lashings to the stainless standing rigging (uppers and lowers) I already have. I’d like to attach the other side of the lashing to the stainless pins on the chain plates. This may involve a ring and multiple attachments. Very open to ideas on this. Have not figured this out yet. But something like what we see in this picture from The Rigging Doctor website. This shows how the upper and lower come in at a different angle.

That’s what I need to account for when attaching to the chain plate pin pictured above in the thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1D32344F-8533-4BAE-8A5C-CA6FBE2C0122.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	278528  
Old 23-07-2023, 10:17   #5

Good lord. Major typo!!!!

In the first post it says get ready to sell. It should say get ready to sail!!!
Old 23-07-2023, 10:20   #6

Finally, even though this is not needed for the standing rigging, I think it’s advisable for me to drop my running rigging items into this thread just to make sure there are no complications. No interactions between the running rigging and standing rigging that could cause a mistake.

Here we have the dyneema for the lashings. 1/4”
Dyneema halyards. Half inch.
A bunch of Stayset or whatever the heck this stuff is. It’s for sheets. And for reefing maybe. Not sure. Could use input on this.
The Harken are the parts that were purchased to do my self tacking blade jib. Not exactly sure how they should be set up and could use some input.
Harken unit three ocean roller Furler for self tacker
And some very very small dyneema I guess? The white stuff? What’s that? 1/8 inch. Maybe that’s to finish off lashings?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	374BECF6-D541-4083-A762-B32E85297788.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	278529   Click image for larger version

Name:	11FB33F5-771E-470C-9B82-9C8098749710.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	278530  

Name:	36CEC87B-ABE3-4B6F-8304-9AC054924380.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	278531   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E617B19-3D6E-48C5-9461-890EFC8D93D8.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	278532  

Name:	25A3691F-4D82-496F-BE9A-9DC2B377CEDF.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	278533   Click image for larger version

Name:	668463D6-B220-4DEF-8CA1-4B73D124F7B1.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	278534  

Old 23-07-2023, 10:25   #7

After the big introduction, now the questions:

Just one to start!

What’s the best way for me to do those Colligo lashings to from standard turnbuckles on the uppers and lowers to the pins in the chain plate?

I was thinking of using some kind of ring to orient things into the same plane.
Old 23-07-2023, 11:23   #8

In addition to my question, some input is also welcome. If anybody sees something that I have mislabeled or incorrectly discussed.
Old 23-07-2023, 11:42   #9

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Good lord. Major typo!!!!

In the first post it says get ready to sell. It should say get ready to sail!!!
Freudian slip?[emoji16]
Old 23-07-2023, 11:43   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Action! Iím also back in the New World and starting projects

For the mast step, you must move it to the correct position. This determines where the mast is and the original design must be followed.

For the lowers and uppersÖ I would call these backstays as you have diamond stays instead of capshrouds, which is also why you donít have aft-swept spreaders.

I think you need to mount the turnbuckles to the chainplates with a toggle that fits the chainplate pin. The toggle turns around that pin sideways as well as allowing fore-aft movement to align the turnbuckle with the stay angle.
The chainplate keeps the turnbuckle bottom threads from turning when you adjust it.

Between turnbuckle and mast, I understand your stays are too short? I assume you donít have mechanical fittings but rather swaged fittings? The Colligo hardware isnít cheap and before buying all that just to extend the stays, I would find 10 ways to just make longer stays myself. How much extra length do you need? You can make short 1x19 wire extensionsÖ

Did you do the math on the cost of two Stalok fittings plus wire?

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 11:46   #11

What are your plans to adjust the uppers & lowers once in place (like what turnbuckles do)?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 11:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
What are your plans to adjust the uppers & lowers once in place (like what turnbuckles do)?
Whoops. There is always something that is not clear when you make a post lol sorry about that.

Even with all that background I neglected to mention:

It is the original rigging from the mast so it already has turnbuckles.

The Colligo stuff is to avoid high cost this time around by simply lashing the existing shrouds/turnbuckles to the chain plate.

It serves no other purpose

It can be tensioned up like normal classic standing rigging using the turnbuckles, located above the Colligo stuff

A very rough sketch here, but it shows the plan.

Having recently experienced the huge theft, the budget is a bit low. So I have to stick with what I have. Trying not to buy a lot of new things. Maybe next time around for buying new stuff.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C5DA0C6A-8A75-46D0-B110-D1447FF24432.jpeg
Views:	2889
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	278545  
Old 23-07-2023, 12:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Action! I’m also back in the New World and starting projects

For the mast step, you must move it to the correct position. This determines where the mast is and the original design must be followed.

For the lowers and uppers… I would call these backstays as you have diamond stays instead of capshrouds, which is also why you don’t have aft-swept spreaders.

I think you need to mount the turnbuckles to the chainplates with a toggle that fits the chainplate pin. The toggle turns around that pin sideways as well as allowing fore-aft movement to align the turnbuckle with the stay angle.
The chainplate keeps the turnbuckle bottom threads from turning when you adjust it.

Between turnbuckle and mast, I understand your stays are too short? I assume you don’t have mechanical fittings but rather swaged fittings? The Colligo hardware isn’t cheap and before buying all that just to extend the stays, I would find 10 ways to just make longer stays myself. How much extra length do you need? You can make short 1x19 wire extensions…

Did you do the math on the cost of two Stalok fittings plus wire?
I saw that in another thread! I heard you came over by boat. That must’ve been an experience!

Yes. Mast step is moving. It’s about 6 inches off (welcome back to the New World measurements ha ha). I don’t want to change the center of effort of the sails relative to the dagger boards. That would be not good. I agree.

I would call these back stays, but I don’t want to confuse everyone. I know you realize that’s what they are, but I think a lot of people might be confused that come straight off of the traditional monohulls.

Hmmmm. I will take a look at the toggles. But it means I have to buy a bunch of new stuff. I am really hoping to use what I already have for this year since I lost so much money a couple months ago.

I’m not sure that I have to use Colligo fittings. All I need is some thing. Lol something smooth and rounded and metal. I think I am just using the name Colligo to refer to the lashing techniques. Maybe I am mis-using the name.

I will have to take a closer look. See if a pair of toggles will fit. There is not all that much room between the two uppermost chain plate parts that hold the pin.
Old 23-07-2023, 12:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Freudian slip?[emoji16]
More like an illiterate and partially deaf voice recognition assistant lol
Old 23-07-2023, 12:45   #15

It looks like I might’ve got something wrong on the running rigging already. Not sure.

What about this stuff? Is this for the sheets?

Or is this for the reefing?

Maybe I can find it in my notes somewhere.

There sure is a lot of it and it’s high tech, 3/8” thick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6DE734A2-B15C-4198-8655-97880F03C74F.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	278547   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC261232-8148-4B10-A75B-3020AD0A7F8D.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	278548