Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2023, 15:24   #706

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Chotu’s Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

here is the mandatory toggle. It’s pretty much an integral part of the furler now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2821CE3F-3FAA-4DB9-A4FB-0B508A6FF12D.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	281979   Click image for larger version

Name:	0CB1AE32-DCF9-428B-A5FE-FB1E93C36879.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	281980  

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 15:26   #707

Need to go from that toggle to this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	779E3187-5B31-4932-A2ED-FBA46CBF2622.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	281981  
Old 11-10-2023, 15:29   #708
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

So what would happen if you replaced the mandatory toggle with the Hayne? Would the Hayne fit? We had the same mandatory toggle but were able to make the Hayne fit. Of course ours is an older furler but same basic concept.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 15:37   #709

Boat: Vaporware

Couldn't you have temporarily used something like a soft shackle in lieu of the piece that didn't fit to get the mast stepped, with a halyard or two as backup? It wouldn't take a torsion load, but shouldn't need to. You were talking about having to re-do the connection anyway to get the right pin in place.
Captn Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 15:39   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
So what would happen if you replaced the mandatory toggle with the Hayne? Would the Hayne fit? We had the same mandatory toggle but were able to make the Hayne fit. Of course ours is an older furler but same basic concept.

I think the answer is that the pin I'm pointing to with the red arrow could then no longer be used which means the part of the Furler held by the curved metal plates and Allen bolts would spin relative to the forestay and everything wouldn’t work.

That pin goes through the eye on the forestay turnbuckle, ad well as through the plates bolted to the furling drum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A411EFE3-E000-4023-BC8B-8066F6F94D15.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	281985  
Old 11-10-2023, 15:41   #711
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I think the answer is that the pin I'm pointing to with the red arrow could then no longer be used which means the part of the Furler held by the curved metal plates and Allen bolts would spin relative to the forestay and everything wouldn’t work.

Does that pin have a cotter pin on one side, and a larger area on the other to stop it from slipping through the hole?
Old 11-10-2023, 15:42   #712

Quote:
Does that pin have a cotter pin on one side, and a larger area on the other to stop it from slipping through the hole?
It's a shouldered pin, yes. A bolt really. It is threaded at both ends and takes a big nylock on both ends of it.

The very last picture I posted with the red arrow is somewhat misleading. All of that stuff should be inside the Furler they are just showing it outside because wise we couldn’t see it very well lol
Old 11-10-2023, 15:44   #713
smj

Chotu’s Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
It's a shouldered pin, yes. A bolt really. It is threaded at both ends and takes a big nylock on both ends of it.

Probably same type pin I had. I used a heavy duty fender washer against the shouldered side for added protection and the cotter pin on the other side. Maybe check to see if that would fit with your Hayne?
Like mine, the threaded section is there just to stop the furling drum from spinning?
Old 11-10-2023, 15:47   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Caveman View Post
Couldn't you have temporarily used something like a soft shackle in lieu of the piece that didn't fit to get the mast stepped, with a halyard or two as backup? It wouldn't take a torsion load, but shouldn't need to. You were talking about having to re-do the connection anyway to get the right pin in place.
We tried. Forward Halyards were caught under the lifting strap and that left just the eye on the turnbuckle deep in the furler to try to tie on. They felt it was dicey. I didn't push them. Also, at that very moment, I was considering an ambulance. I almost passed out a couple times and had to run to the bathroom a couple times. This was before allergy meds. Problems solving was taking a back seat to the anaphylactic reaction I was getting from I still don't know what.

All in all it was one of the sh I t t I e st days of my life actually.

I'm still in and out. Since we stopped, I have been dropping in and out of bouts of sleep for 6 hours or so now. Blood pressure and pulse plummeted while we were trying to do all this.
Old 11-10-2023, 15:53   #715

Quote:
Probably same type pin I had. I used a heavy duty fender washer against the shouldered side for added protection and the cotter pin on the other side. Maybe check to see if that would fit with your Hayne?
Like mine, the threaded section is there just to stop the furling drum from spinning?

it sounds like the same thing. Here’s a picture.

mandatory toggle on the left. Hayn toggle in the middle. And the pin we were talking about on the right
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC605957-8309-40D2-BCA4-020D4A56B767.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	281986  
Old 11-10-2023, 15:57   #716
smj

Quote:
it sounds like the same thing. Here’s a picture.

mandatory toggle on the left. Hayn toggle in the middle. And the pin we were talking about on the right

Same thing I was dealing with. Try it on the Hayne toggle with a cotter pin in the cotter pin hole. Do you have enough room to install a heavy duty fender washer between the shoulder and the Hayne toggle? The fender washer will increase the bearing surface on the toggle
Old 11-10-2023, 16:03   #717

Quote:
Same thing I was dealing with. Try it on the Hayne toggle with a cotter pin in the cotter pin hole. Do you have enough room to install a heavy duty fender washer between the shoulder and the Hayne toggle? The fender washer will increase the bearing surface on the toggle
I guess I’m not understanding this part. Looking at the picture, in the very top left we have a hole in the mandatory toggle. Then there is another hole at the bottom of the mandatory toggle.

The pin goes through the top hole of the mandatory toggle. It receives the eye from the current turnbuckle inside the furler.

if I Screw the Hayn into the turnbuckle instead, it can’t use the pin. Not unless the pin is in the lower holes of the Hayn toggle. But then what? Where do you go from there? How do you connect to the Crossbeam? you are all done at that point. There are no more holes. You would need another eye to pick up the pin at the bottom of the hayn toggle to connect that to the crossbeam.
Old 11-10-2023, 16:06   #718
smj

You may need to replace the bottom half of your Hayne turnbuckle with a stud that could accept the Harken pin
Old 11-10-2023, 16:09   #719

Quote:
You may need to replace the bottom half of your Hayne turnbuckle with a stud that could accept the Harken pin
Ahhhh. That's why it's trash. Hayne hardware is not "user serviceable"

As in... What you see on the table is what you get. You can't modify it...

Unless you meant to do what I am picturing in this picture? But then how do you get that attached to the Crossbeam? You would still need the same piece I need using the mandatory toggle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9AE61AA4-FD58-45C0-9388-B489CD2E5728.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	281988  
Old 11-10-2023, 16:11   #720
smj

Something like this, with a removable pin

Name:	IMG_8116.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	281989
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8115.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	281987