Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2023, 16:20   #721

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You may need to replace the bottom half of your Hayne turnbuckle with a stud that could accept the Harken pin
Oh wait.

Thatís what I already had to do. Thatís why I have an extra piece of trash in these pictures I am showing you. That hayn piece is trash. I had to buy a new piece that would fit the pin that we are talking about. I had already done that. The Hayn turnbuckle now goes to the mandatory toggle no problem.. Just like in the Harken pictures. I just need to go from the mandatory toggle to my crossbeam.

if I need to get any piece at all thatís the only piece I need. Everything else is fine.

The problem today was the fat mandatory toggle would not fit into the slots on the Crossbeam. It was too thick. I was including a pic of the hayn toggle way earlier in the thread so that people could see what I had trial fit in the crossbeam attachment point originally. When I made the mistake of making a trial fit the Harkin.

This is what the furler looked like today. Everything was all set. But... I couldn't get it into the slots on the beam anchor point because I remembered trial fitting the wrong component into the slots on the crossbeam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6D9BE83-F8D4-437D-8215-5602CAF895E3.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	281990  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 16:23   #722
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Sent you a pm, hopefully it explains more as Iím not rigger literate.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 16:29   #723
smj

Your Hayne toggle attaches to the crossbeam? So now your trying to attach the turnbuckle to the Hayne toggle using the Harken pin so you can also tie the furlong drum into the setup?
Old 11-10-2023, 16:33   #724

Quote:
Your Hayne toggle attaches to the crossbeam? So now your trying to attach the turnbuckle to the Hayne toggle using the Harken pin so you can also tie the furlong drum into the setup?

I will try to make it short so it is clear. You’re definitely misunderstanding

1) The furler is fine. Everything works inside. The Hayn turnbuckle leg you see on the table is trash. It’s garbage. I have to throw it out. It was not compatible with the Harkin furler and you can't change hayn hardware. It's permanent the way you see it.

So I had to buy a new lower leg as you were calling it. The bottom part of the turnbuckle. With the screw. I had to buy one that just had the eye. This was way back in the thread somewhere. That way the pin we are talking about slides through that eye. Everything is fine. I’m not having trouble with that.

2) The Harken mandatory toggle does not fit in the slots on the crossbeam. check out the picture of it compared to the thinner hayn toggle which I had trial fit earlier. It’s much fatter. It can’t fit in the slots.

3) I just need to go from the mandatory toggle to the slots on the Crossbeam that’s it. There’s nothing inside the Furler to worry about.
Old 11-10-2023, 16:35   #725
smj

Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I will try to make it short so it is clear. Youíre definitely misunderstanding

1) The furler is fine. Everything works inside. The Hayn turnbuckle leg you see on the table is trash. Itís garbage. I have to throw it out. It was not compatible with the Harkin furler. So I had to buy a new lower leg as you were calling it. The bottom part of the turnbuckle. With the screw. I had to buy one that just had the eye. That way the pin we are talking about slides through that eye. Everything is fine. Iím not having trouble with that.

2) The Harken mandatory toggle does not fit in the slots on the crossbeam. check out the picture of it compared to the thinner hayn which I had trial fit earlier. Itís much fatter. It canít fit in the slots.

3) I just need to go from the mandatory toggle to the slots on the Crossbeam thatís it. Thereís nothing inside the Furler to worry about.

I fully understand as I went through the exact same problem 5 years ago. Take the ďmandatoryĒ toggle out of the picture and go from there.
You have to use the Hayne toggle as it fits your crossbeam? So the problem is fixing the Hayne turnbuckle to the Hayne toggle using the Harken pin which ties the furler into the system?
Old 11-10-2023, 16:37   #726

Just need to go from pic on the left to pic on the right here. And it doesn't slide into the slots in the pic on the right like the hayn toggle did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCBAAF1D-3ADD-4D4E-B811-33887273ECFC.jpeg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	281991   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB90007A-0B77-47E9-BD18-02CBE5BB4F89.jpeg
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	281992  

Old 11-10-2023, 16:40   #727
smj

Quote:
Just need to go from pic on the left to pic on the right here. And it doesn't slide into the slots in the pic on the right like the hayn toggle did.

As I said, I went through the same problem, take the Harken toggle out of the equation
Old 11-10-2023, 16:43   #728
smj

Look at my picture. A Hayne turnbuckle attached to a Hayne toggle using the Harken pin which incorporates the Harken furler into the system. No Harken toggle was used
Old 11-10-2023, 16:46   #729

Quote:
I fully understand as I went through the exact same problem 5 years ago. Take the ďmandatoryĒ toggle out of the picture and go from there.
You have to use the Hayne toggle as it fits your crossbeam? So the problem is fixing the Hayne turnbuckle to the Hayne toggle using the Harken pin which ties the furler into the system?
I know you are trying to help. Iím trying to work through this. I am appreciative of your help. So letís keep going forward for a minute.

OK I take the mandatory toggle out.

I throw away the hayne eye I bought to screw into the turnbuckle and accept the Harken pin.

Then you have to put the Harken pin through the lower hole in the hayne turn buckle leg from the pics on the table. And then I have to throw away my other hayn eye that I bought to put the pin through.

But let's say we do this anyway.

Then how do you connect the Hayne toggle to the Crossbeam? It has a Harken pin in it now where it would have connected to the crossbeam.

so I would still have to buy another piece of hardware. Why donít I just leave everything alone how it is and buy a piece of hardware that connects from the mandatory harken toggle to the crossbeam?

I donít see where you are going by switching all of the stuff out thatís inside the Furler.
Old 11-10-2023, 16:47   #730

Good point. Let’s look at your picture. That will help.
Old 11-10-2023, 16:49   #731
smj

Please look at the picture

Name:	IMG_8112.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	281993
A Hayne turnbuckle directly attached to a Hayne toggle using a Harken pin. The pin doesnít go through the Hayne toggles hole, itís attached in the slot like any other turnbuckle would be.
Old 11-10-2023, 16:51   #732

So on your picture, you have a bolt going through (the harken pin?) At the top of the hayn toggle. Must be nice. I csnt do that because the Hayn hardware is not user serviceable. So what you see on my table is what it is. There is no way I can do what you're saying because a hayn toggle (as part of a hayn turnbuckle) is what it is. It cannot be modified.

that’s where we are having a problem. You think I can modify my hayn. It's not possible. that’s why I had to buy the one with the eye instead of the toggle.
Old 11-10-2023, 16:53   #733

I have this. And it can never look like yours.

The only place I could put the Harken pin in mine is where I'm showing it.

It is not user serviceable. nothing can be put at the top of the toggle but what you see in this pic. It's permanent. Hayn is lovely like that. And that's why it's garbage. Expensive garbage I have to throw out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3F5E978-B968-4756-A616-894C1A7388E8.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	281994  
Old 11-10-2023, 16:58   #734
smj

Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
I have this. And it can never look like yours.

The only place I could put the Harken pin in mine is where I'm showing it.

It is not user serviceable. nothing can be put at the top of the toggle but what you see in this pic. It's permanent. Hayn is lovely like that. And that's why it's garbage. Expensive garbage I have to throw out.

Replace the lower part of your turnbuckle with an eye then do this.

Name:	IMG_8119.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	281995
The side of the Hayne toggle opposite of the turnbuckle will attach to you crossbeam
Old 11-10-2023, 17:06   #735

Quote:
Replace the lower part of your turnbuckle with an eye then do this.
Attachment 281995
The side of the Hayne toggle opposite of the turnbuckle will attach to you crossbeam
thank God for pictures. That would have been a doozy to explain lol

I already did that. I am throwing away the piece in my pictures on the table and I already have the eye. It's installed inside the furler holding the harken mandatory toggle.

So here we are just using a different toggle in this picture. One that fits the boat to begin with. could be workable. Could be a great idea.

and since I would still have to use the same toggle in a chain of toggles to go from the Harken mandatory toggle to the beam anyway, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

why does harken specify this toggle? They must have a reason. I wonder what it is.

Tags
rigging