Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2023, 17:07   #736
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
thank God for pictures. That would have been a doozy to explain lol

I already did that. I am throwing away the piece in my pictures on the table and I already have the eye. It's installed inside the furler holding the harken mandatory toggle.

So here we are just using a different toggle in this picture. One that fits the boat to begin with. could be workable. Could be a great idea.

and since I would still have to use the same toggle in a chain of toggles to go from the Harken mandatory toggle to the beam anyway, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

why does harken specify this toggle? They must have a reason. I wonder what it is.

What Harken furling unit are you using?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 17:07   #737

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

And thank you for seeing it through. I’m glad we figured this out about 10 pages later. Ha ha. But we got it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 17:12   #738

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What Harken furling unit are you using?
MKIV Ocean Unit 3
Old 11-10-2023, 17:25   #739
smj

If you could replace the Harken toggle in this pic with the Hayne you would be golden? Able to attach to the crossbeam and ready to go?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8123.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	281997
Old 11-10-2023, 17:35   #740

Quote:
If you could replace the Harken toggle in this pic with the Hayne you would be golden? Able to attach to the crossbeam and ready to go?Attachment 281997
I think so!

Just have to buy a new toggle to do that with. Ideally it should have when same width at the top as the haken toggle so the metal sides holding the pin close in on it properly
Old 11-10-2023, 18:09   #741
smj

Quote:
I think so!

Just have to buy a new toggle to do that with. Ideally it should have when same width at the top as the haken toggle so the metal sides holding the pin close in on it properly

I think your toggle may work but will probably have to replace the lower t bolt fitting on your turnbuckle and replace with an eye fitting that can accept your Harken pin.
Old 11-10-2023, 19:01   #742

Quote:
I think your toggle may work but will probably have to replace the lower t bolt fitting on your turnbuckle and replace with an eye fitting that can accept your Harken pin.
I don’t know why you keep missing this. That can’t be done. Hayn hardware is not user serviceable and cannot be changed. I can only throw it away.

I already have the eye fitting. I bought it because the toggle fitting is not compatible with the Harken furler The eye is already installed inside the furler. Attached to the Harken toggle.

The Hayn toggle fitting on the table is garbage. Trash. It has to be thrown out. It has no possibility of working with the Harken furler. Hayn toggle fittings are not user serviceable and cannot be changed. What you see on my table in the pics is the only configuration
Old 11-10-2023, 19:02   #743
smj

Quote:
I donít know why you keep missing this. That canít be done. Hayn hardware is not user serviceable and cannot be changed. I can only throw it away.

Worked for me
Old 11-10-2023, 19:03   #744

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
I donít know why you keep missing this. That canít be done. Hayn hardware is not user serviceable and cannot be changed. I can only throw it away.
What holds the bar into the Hayn toggle? If it's a press fit you might be able to hammer or drill it out and then replace it with the Harken pin.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 19:09   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
What holds the bar into the Hayn toggle? If it's a press fit you might be able to hammer or drill it out and then replace it with the Harken pin.
Nearly infinite friction and the properties of metal pressed in at a crazy level of pressure.

Lolol. No, you cannot take a hammer or a drill and take that out.

that’s not how that works at all.

It cannot be removed without cutting apart and destroying that piece. Even with a hydraulic press.

why do you guys think I bought the other piece for my turnbuckle with the eye? Don’t you think I would’ve tried this from the beginning instead of buying something new? I bought the eye toggle because this is not possible, even with a hydraulic press.

i’ll just say it again for good measure. Hayn turnbuckles with toggle are not user serviceable and they cannot be changed in any way.

All of this is in the thread somewhere. A few hundred pages back or whatever. I talked about this already
Old 11-10-2023, 19:10   #746

Quote:
Worked for me
You don’t have the same thing I do. yours looks quite a bit older. That’s why I said Lucky you. You are able to do that.

That’s not how it works anymore

Apparently, they are trying to make some money now
Old 11-10-2023, 20:02   #747
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
The forestay fitting. There was no way to do it.

We tried, but it was not possible
You donít need the forestay to step the mast! Just set a couple halyards or even tie the forestay off with a piece of string, stick a screwdriver through etc.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 20:32   #748

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
and yes I’m going to be lengthening the forestay by about 3 inches I guess if I add a piece. Sucks but what are you gonna do? Doesn’t make that much of a difference really on a 3.5ft rake. So it's 3.7ft. Also, I left the turnbuckle in the furler backed way, way off so there is about 6in of play that I can take up with that anyway
Just FYI and/or FWIW...

I don't know the exact dimensions of your rig, but if you are starting with 3.5 ft of rake and adding 3" to the forestay, the rake will increase by more like 0.75 ft (9") if shorter mast to 1 ft (12") if longer mast, or even more, and not 0.2 ft. So you'll be looking at ~4.5 ft of rake.

Quote:
I don’t know why you keep missing this. That can’t be done. Hayn hardware is not user serviceable and cannot be changed. I can only throw it away.

The Hayn toggle fitting on the table is garbage. Trash. It has to be thrown out. It has no possibility of working with the Harken furler. Hayn toggle fittings are not user serviceable and cannot be changed. What you see on my table in the pics is the only configuration
You don't need the Hayn fitting to be "user serviceable." You need it to be "user destroyable." Only one part is required to be unharmed, the other can have anything done to it. Does the tang rotate on the pin? If yes, then it can most likely be removed. If no, it still may be able to remove. It may require opening the throat of the tang slightly (and closing again later). You know this part fits and you have it in your possession; that seems like the quickest, most straight forward solution.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:47   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You don’t need the forestay to step the mast! Just set a couple halyards or even tie the forestay off with a piece of string, stick a screwdriver through etc.

Yes you missed the part where the halyards were inside the lifting straps.

This is the USA. The marina would not lash off the forestay and then let it sit like that. They worried if a storm came through or wind, it might chafe, causing the mast to fall. They were concerned about liability (USA).

Also, at that very moment I was considering going to the emergency room and running to the bathroom a few times so I wasn’t exactly involved in the conversation or thought process at this point. It took all my strength left to move the boat back to anchor and I collapsed and slept for the next 6 hours. In the middle of a bright, sunny day. It was actually one of the top 3 worst allergy attacks I’ve ever had. So I wasn’t just hanging around up there thinking about alternatives. I was in the head getting sick. This was a VERY bad day all around
Old 12-10-2023, 01:52   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jerry View Post
Just FYI and/or FWIW...

I don't know the exact dimensions of your rig, but if you are starting with 3.5 ft of rake and adding 3" to the forestay, the rake will increase by more like 0.75 ft (9") if shorter mast to 1 ft (12") if longer mast, or even more, and not 0.2 ft. So you'll be looking at ~4.5 ft of rake.
Isn’t that why I have a turnbuckle? In any event, the solution from SMJ eliminates additional components by replacing the mandatory harken toggle with a regular one which doesn’t change the pin-to-pin distance. It’s the best solution available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jerry View Post

You don't need the Hayn fitting to be "user serviceable." You need it to be "user destroyable." Only one part is required to be unharmed, the other can have anything done to it. Does the tang rotate on the pin? If yes, then it can most likely be removed. If no, it still may be able to remove. It may require opening the throat of the tang slightly (and closing again later). You know this part fits and you have it in your possession; that seems like the quickest, most straight forward solution.
I’m not willing to compromise a component that, if it fails, will cause a complete loss of the rig. Bending the tang open large enough to slide the eye through it, then bending it back would be a very bad idea. Although, the eye terminal or pin might be able to be cut with a grinder as long as the heat isn’t transferred to the tang. I’ll have a look.

Tags
rigging