Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2023, 09:57   #676

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Chotuís Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Damn. I need. 3/4” x 2.5” pin to attach the forestay to the front crossbeam.

Any ideas?

Crane comes tomorrow now. Zero notice.

Is there something I can do temporary? Like a bolt? But then how would I be able to replace it later? I’m a little confused. Any ideas? I’m trying to rush because I only have a few hours to prepare.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:59   #677

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

A 3/4" bolt should do the trick for now. To replace it later, run a halyard forward, crank it good and tight, then if needed, loosen the forestay slightly. Once you can get the load off the forestay you'll be able to get the bolt out and install the new pin.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:08   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
A 3/4" bolt should do the trick for now. To replace it later, run a halyard forward, crank it good and tight, then if needed, loosen the forestay slightly. Once you can get the load off the forestay you'll be able to get the bolt out and install the new pin.

The crank part is the part that’s making it difficult. There is nothing to crank with. May be a ratchet strap? Or maybe just don’t worry about it for now? I’m getting a little overloaded with stress since they sprung it on me with less than 24 hours notice. I have about six hours to get ready for a mask stepping and I don’t have the pin or The correct connectors for the lowers. I’m also still nervous about doing the lashes even though I know they will be fine. And it’s a hell of a charge to. They are trying to charge me $3400. For all of this labor that they’re not going to even be doing. That’s what I’m not understanding. But I am pretty much over a barrel and maybe that’s why I don’t know.

I mean, what labor are they actually doing? The crane will move it, the crane is 1500. Then they’re charging me 1900 in labor which I don’t think makes any sense because I’m doing the lashings. I’m putting the pin in the forestay. There’s nothing else to do.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:30   #679

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The crank part is the part thatís making it difficult. There is nothing to crank with. May be a ratchet strap? Or maybe just donít worry about it for now? Iím getting a little overloaded with stress since they sprung it on me with less than 24 hours notice. I have about six hours to get ready for a mask stepping and I donít have the pin or The correct connectors for the lowers. Iím also still nervous about doing the lashes even though I know they will be fine. And itís a hell of a charge to. They are trying to charge me $3400. For all of this labor that theyíre not going to even be doing. Thatís what Iím not understanding. But I am pretty much over a barrel and maybe thatís why I donít know.

I mean, what labor are they actually doing? The crane will move it, the crane is 1500. Then theyíre charging me 1900 in labor which I donít think makes any sense because Iím doing the lashings. Iím putting the pin in the forestay. Thereís nothing else to do.
You won't need a way to tension that halyard until you're ready to swap out the bolt, so you've got some time to come up with a solution. Ratchet strap or a come a long would work if you don't have a usable winch by that point.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:41   #680

Awesome. Thank you for posting in the middle of the chaos over here. At least that’s one thing I don’t have to worry about. I will just not worry about that part for now. Going to get the bolt and deal with it later.
Old 10-10-2023, 13:36   #681

OK. Everything is figured out for tomorrow. Wow. Whirlwind.

After tomorrow I should have a vertical mast
Old 10-10-2023, 14:04   #682

Boat: Outremer 55L

Youíre not sailing the boat yet, so other than getting the mast vertical and keeping it there, you donít need to worry about finishing any of the connections. The mast will be held in place with very little tension in two cap shrouds and the forestay - very little basically means what you can apply by hand.The mast may move around a bit when you rock to waves, but there wonít be any loads on it and it wonít jump out of its base fitting.

At your leisure attach a jib halyard to one bow and a spinnaker halyard to the other bow. While easing the lashings on the cap shrouds take up the two halyards so as to slack the forestay. Once itís just hanging there, replace the temporary bolt with a pin. Easy peasy - weíve done this to swap forestays.

Then ease the halyards and take up on the cap shroud lashings. Now you can tension them to working tension. Do this before you go up the mast to install the lowers - going up a mast thatís almost waving in the breeze is not fun nor safe. Note that your final cap shroud tension will be done while sailing. Possibly the lowers too, but I suspect theyíre only there to keep the mast from over-bending (in effect replacing a forward diamond stay, which your mast doesnít have) so they only need the same static tensioning as your diamond stays.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 14:11   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Youíre not sailing the boat yet, so other than getting the mast vertical and keeping it there, you donít need to worry about finishing any of the connections. The mast will be held in place with very little tension in two cap shrouds and the forestay - very little basically means what you can apply by hand.The mast may move around a bit when you rock to waves, but there wonít be any loads on it and it wonít jump out of its base fitting.

At your leisure attach a jib halyard to one bow and a spinnaker halyard to the other bow. While easing the lashings on the cap shrouds take up the two halyards so as to slack the forestay. Once itís just hanging there, replace the temporary bolt with a pin. Easy peasy - weíve done this to swap forestays.

Then ease the halyards and take up on the cap shroud lashings. Now you can tension them to working tension. Do this before you go up the mast to install the lowers - going up a mast thatís almost waving in the breeze is not fun nor safe. Note that your final cap shroud tension will be done while sailing. Possibly the lowers too, but I suspect theyíre only there to keep the mast from over-bending (in effect replacing a forward diamond stay, which your mast doesnít have) so they only need the same static tensioning as your diamond stays.

Thank you!

That definitely reduced a lot of stress. Itís so much less stressful to see a path forward. The worst thing you can do with this stuff is to paint yourself into a corner and I was getting a little worried about that.

Iíll probably keep things fairly snug anyway just so itís not rattling around. Iím not going to like it doing that.
Old 10-10-2023, 14:19   #684
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Hope you will post a pic of the mast up.
After following your travail's for what...the past 5 years....10 years....more ???
I'd like to see a pic of the boat in it's entirety.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 05:36   #685

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
And now it all doesnít matter anyway. I knew this was going to happen. The place I am at doesnít give you any idea of whatís going on.

Moments ago they sprung it on me that the crane is coming tomorrow. Great. I donít have the right connections for the lowers. That means Iím going to have to have someone go aloft and switch those out later. Ugh.

Argh!! Sorry to hear it.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 09:35   #686

Failure to launch. A total disaster!

Remember how I needed to get a new piece because my turnbuckle from Hayn wasn't compatible with the Harken furler?

Well, I had test fit the HAYN piece on the bow tube and not the final piece from Harken!!

Because I had already test fit something to the bow tube attachment, in my mind I had already done the test fit and everything was good to go. But no!!!!!

I test fit the piece that was replaced!

The one on the left is the Harken piece. The one on the right is Hayn. The other pic is where it needs to fit on the bow. No good.

What do I need to use to make all this work??

The mast stepping was an expensive, special project at the marina. Really expensive. Like $3,000 once I went over the scope with them. Now I have to do it twice.

To top it all off, I had a massive allergic reaction today and became useless half way through the work. Very very sick. No idea what I got into that made me feel like that. Borderline hospital time here.

Could be:
-smoke/mist that came out of aluminum heating ducts
-dust in the anchor locker from cutting epoxy last week
-delayed reaction to some food I also had when I had problems with the melting PVC.

Anyway, adding more than a few inches to my forestay length means my rake will be bigger.

Any idea how to proceed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6FBCF67E-AAA5-4D64-8AAA-8C37CE177BF4.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	281963   Click image for larger version

Name:	636C28FE-4DAF-45E8-B3AC-7EB82321E920.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	281964  

Old 11-10-2023, 12:08   #687

Now that the allergy meds are wearing off, I think I need something like this.

This little thing cost me $3000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAB7EE38-0059-4A35-AC3E-62C6375A66CA.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	281970  
Old 11-10-2023, 13:19   #688

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

You got ripped off.. Lol.

It looks like Merriman, who has been out of the business for a long time, but even if it is Merriman, 100$ already expensive..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 13:21   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
You got ripped off.. Lol.

It looks like Merriman, who has been out of the business for a long time, but even if it is Merriman, 100$ already expensive..

I think you missed the post above it. Not having that item just cost me $3000 in crane and labor

is that type of thing what I should be trying to get to solve this problem? Is that how it’s usually done?
Old 11-10-2023, 13:29   #690

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Okay I get it, 3000 total for that little thing, I had misunderstood.

I don't get it Chotu, I see the tang on the cross beam, which is unusual, why the HAYN toggle don't fit there?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging