Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 01:00   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee
Buying a demasted 53 footer

Hi Guys
I have a chance of buying a demasted 53 foot skipper sailboat( Made In Greece) .
it is missing the top 22 feet of mast (isomat), the jib
the forestay , the roller furler , cap and intermediate shrouds, upper spreaders, all this was lost with the mast failure .
now i can save a fair bit of money in buying this boat but i am trying to figure out a dollar value on all this stuff , the owner reckens 10k (i reckon 30K) which of us is right, this is my problem.
any help would be appriciated.
Dave
sydbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 01:17   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Buying a demasted 53 footer

All the various manufacturers will give you approximate costs once you give them some basic info
http://www.zsparsuk.com/web%20prices%202012.pdf
http://www.allyachtspars.com.au/online-quote
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 01:21   #3

thanks
Old 23-11-2012, 01:25   #4
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

I would estimate those figures to be very low. I recently saw a figure in passing (and I'm sorry I can't remember where) of 60,000 for that type of mast repair alone. The furler, forestay, foil and assorted hardware, sheets and new sail could easily exceed 10,000 for a boat that size. Where will you be having the work done on the boat? Be sure to google the cost of the parts from some local suppliers and ask a local rigger to give you an estimate even if you intend to do the work yourself so you will have a better bargaining position. Don't forget that there is also the wiring work for the nav lights on top of the mast, the wind indicator, and probably the radio antennas are also shot. A boat that's been knocked down may also have had other damage from water intrusion so make sure all the interior electronics are working and that no water got into the engine. I see from your other posts that you've been looking at boats for a while now. I'm not familiar with the model of boat but if it is in Greece there may be some additional taxes on the sale in addition to the VAT so if I were you I'd look into that very carefully. Also, plan at least 6 months (maybe more) to get the boat back into shape so it will need to be in the yard a while where she is before you can get her home. Lots of boats on the market right now in the US with hurricane damage so make sure if in the US the boat was just knocked down, not pushed ashore by the storm surge. Soooo many reasons not to especially if this is your first boat.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 01:53   #5

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

sydbab,
I have been looking at the same boat and have decided against it as I am a little "long in the tooth" to take on a project like that. It is a beautiful boat, located at Anchors Away Boatyard in Hempstead, NC, where I have my 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter 43'. It looks like it would be a beautiful boat when completed, but don't delude yourself into a $10K repair unless someone gives you a mast and you do all of the work yourself. The people at the yard are great to work with and do quality work as reasonably as you will find it, however that is still about $75 / hr. I would suggest that you call Chris Bubin, the yard manager, at 910-270-4741, as I would imagine that they have done some of the work on the boat and could give you a good idea as to the cost to finish her up. Bear in mind that the engine and transmission still have to be installed as well. gts1544 - George -307-two five six-6650 Cell if you wish to talk further
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 07:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Closer to 60K, especially out East.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 14:10   #7

Thanks for all the help guys , I think I may put it in the too hard basket .
one other posible problem is that the owner swears that the boat hasn't been underwater but the motor was seized, the generator has been removed , the boat has been rewired , the electronics are kaput, add that to the broken mast and its hard to justify purchasing what could be a major league money pit.
Boat is in NC

By the way I live in Sydney Australia and this would be the second boat I have bought in the USA and sailed to Oz , Last trip we went San Francisco to Sydney via Hawaii and next time we want to head down via Tahiti.

We will try and buy right and whilst I dont plan to retire on the profits, after expenses we went very close to break even last time and got a free 4 month holiday out of the experience.
Thanks again
Dave
Old 27-11-2012, 11:15   #8

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Dave did you actually see the boat?
I drove down to see that boat few auctions ago. That will be hard sell. PM me if you need any more info.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, mast, sailboat