Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 04:35   #16

Boat: Binliner 195
Re: When do you make water?

Quote:
Which is already light in particulates and dissolved salts. I'm not sure how, or if, it would work in a marine environment.
I do not know what is different,I have looked at the marine ones and the filter / membrane look the same spec, Maybe add a sand filter? But I would not say my Island water is "clean" (TDS 22 ish & High salt) As mentioned, no filter changes in 4 years did not bother it,

Higher capacity, Add your own pump? High Output Hydro-Logic Evolution 1000 GPD Tankless On Demand Reverse Osmosis | eBay

edited to add, On further investigation, Yes does seem to be a "seawater" RO Membrane, Wonder what the difference is ? In any case you could probably fit one in a "normal" system, More looking :-)

Tim
blackswan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 04:52   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
I'm looking at installing a water maker (desal) and have gone through lots of research about 12 volt v 240. High output v Lovwer etc. Then where to fit it and how to install.

I then found this

The best desalinator for yacht

I liked it until I saw the price. Then it was a no go option far as I'm concerned.
Old 15-10-2014, 05:08   #18

Boat: Binliner 195

Fit this in a "normal" ( cheeper) system Filmtec SW30HR-380 Premium Grade Seawater Reverse Osmosis Membrane - New | eBay

Tim
blackswan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:30   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
For a delivery skipper it solves a lot of problems.
I can think of lots of occasions this would be ideal for people who go on different vessels for extended times.
Horses for courses.
It would be nice to have just the portable unit without a power source and use the onboard electrics.

This idea has been around for a bit. Spectra has their Pass Port portable system which would fit the no Honda engine requirement. The Pass Port can either be purchased or rented which would work out better for a delivery skipper as you suggested.

Spectra Watermakers - Marine - The Passport Rental Watermaker
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:30   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan555 View Post
I do not know what is different,I have looked at the marine ones and the filter / membrane look the same spec, Maybe add a sand filter? But I would not say my Island water is "clean" (TDS 22 ish & High salt) As mentioned, no filter changes in 4 years did not bother it,

Higher capacity, Add your own pump? High Output Hydro-Logic Evolution 1000 GPD Tankless On Demand Reverse Osmosis | eBay

edited to add, On further investigation, Yes does seem to be a "seawater" RO Membrane, Wonder what the difference is ? In any case you could probably fit one in a "normal" system, More looking :-)

Tim

What's different is the pressure required to get the water to flow away from the salt. A desalinator will pressurize water to approximately 1000 psi in order to allow it to flow through the membrane without salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:38   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

The biggest expense on the bespoke watermakers are the HP pumps and the membranes. Did a little searching and came across this blog

The writer bought an inexpensive pressure washer from Home Depot. I assume the membrane was from Ebay and various valves and tubes from the machine shops. All in it cost ~1000gbp.

This may be the path I'll take. At 5000gbp there is no way I can justify spending 5pounds/day for water. That is the equivalent of buying a 6 pack of bottled water everyday for 3 years.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:40   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Unless I'm reading their site wrong you have to buy the individual components. Just to get to the point where you have a watermaker it is about $7,500US. Adding the pressure washer components, filters etc., and it keeps adding up. For that much you have plenty of real options for a properly installed watermaker.
Old 15-10-2014, 05:45   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Home RO systems are not going to work as a salt water RO system. The pressures required and the equipment needed are all different. If it could be done every real boat based watermaker company out there would be out of business today before the sun went down.
Old 15-10-2014, 05:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan555 View Post
What is so different from your normal domestic under sink RO unit...?
Your normal domestic under sink unit is not capable of turning seawater into potable water. It is only capable of turning fresh water into cleaner fresh water that is free of bacteria and contaminants.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 06:34   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

The truth is if you don't have room on your boat to mount a modular water maker in the nooks and crannys then you won't have room for that "portable water maker" either....so what's the point again?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 06:41   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Now if you only need a watermaker for a week or two out of the year Spectra will rent you a portable one.
I did not know that, can you elaborate?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 06:42   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I did not know that, can you elaborate?
Spectra Watermakers - Marine - The Passport Rental Watermaker
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 06:47   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sorry, should have finished the thread before asking. But until I can retire, I'm stuck to vacations when I can get them and buying a watermaker now just doesn't make sense for me as it would be three years old at least before we go, but a yearly rental, unless crazy expensive, now that makes a whole lot of sense at least for me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 06:58   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: When do you Make Water?

A portable watermaker.
Means you can take it vessel to vessel.
Means you can take it in the vehicle to remote areas and use it to clean dirty water when camping....
Emergency situations...
Yep.. I like the concept.

I would not fit a permanent water maker on my Centaur. But would have a portable one to take when doing extended cruises. I would take it on friends boats when out fishing for 2 or three days, water rationing is a pain.

Cost is up there though..... too much.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 10:21   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: When do you Make Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
I'm looking at installing a water maker (desal) and have gone through lots of research about 12 volt v 240. High output v Lovwer etc. Then where to fit it and how to install.

I then found this

The best desalinator for yacht

Seems a very interesting option. No install. Reasonable price, Simple and other than where to store it when not in use seems an interesting option. About the only thing I can think of is when to make water. This will work well on anchor but possibly not during a passage? As the high volume unit produces 100 ltr per hour plus and we carry about 600 ltrs in 2 tanks and we tend to use one tank, then worse case I just need to run it for about 3 hours to refill. As it's a fairly new product I haven't yet found an owner to get feedback.

What do others think?
How large a crew do you have requiring that amount
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water