Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 15:19   #1

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
When do you Make Water?

I'm looking at installing a water maker (desal) and have gone through lots of research about 12 volt v 240. High output v Lovwer etc. Then where to fit it and how to install.

I then found this

The best desalinator for yacht

Seems a very interesting option. No install. Reasonable price, Simple and other than where to store it when not in use seems an interesting option. About the only thing I can think of is when to make water. This will work well on anchor but possibly not during a passage? As the high volume unit produces 100 ltr per hour plus and we carry about 600 ltrs in 2 tanks and we tend to use one tank, then worse case I just need to run it for about 3 hours to refill. As it's a fairly new product I haven't yet found an owner to get feedback.

What do others think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rainman_desalination_selection.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	89730  

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 16:52   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: When do you make water?

Almost Same price you can get a great spectra 12volt watermaker. Without having to add gas every 5 hours, or changing oil every 20 hours and without worrying about storing 2 large boxes.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:01   #3

The 2 bags the guy is carrying at the web site is larger than my 500gpd water maker. Cost looks comparable to a permanent unit.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:06   #4

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

I'm not sure that is the case in OZ. Most desal units seem to be this price or more and then you pay for install. I guess I will find out more this weekend at the Gold Coast marine expo. I also can't find 12 volt units that will make 100 ltrs per hour however a 12 volt unit can run longer and while travelling so maybe that's not an issue. However I also like the idea of using it as a high pressure wash. Dilemmas, dilemmas..

Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:10   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That is an interesting unit - they took a Honda generator, stripped off the generator and connected it to a common General pump.

That works. But consider that you have just bought a watermaker and a generator - with no way to run them separately for other reasons.

If instead, for the same price (maybe a bit cheaper), you bought a Honda generator and an AC watermaker, you would have options to use the generator for battery charging, running power tools on a beach, etc, while having the option to (possibly) run your watermaker off an inverter if the Honda was down.

And if the Honda goes down, you can pick up a new one pretty much anywhere in the world. If this system's engine goes down, you are out of luck.

The "no install" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The "install" aspect of a watermaker is finding a place to put it. If you have to store this anyway, you have basically "installed" it.

On the other hand, I see tremendous value to this type of unit as a portable thing. It just doesn't make as much sense on a boat to me.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:12   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
I'm looking at installing a water maker (desal) and have gone through lots of research about 12 volt v 240. High output v Lovwer etc. Then where to fit it and how to install.

I then found this

The best desalinator for yacht

Seems a very interesting option. No install. Reasonable price, Simple and other than where to store it when not in use seems an interesting option. About the only thing I can think of is when to make water. This will work well on anchor but possibly not during a passage? As the high volume unit produces 100 ltr per hour plus and we carry about 600 ltrs in 2 tanks and we tend to use one tank, then worse case I just need to run it for about 3 hours to refill. As it's a fairly new product I haven't yet found an owner to get feedback.

What do others think?

Personally?
It makes no sense. If you are gong to run a Honda engine to power this then go with a Cruise RO system. I can't quote Richs price but for the output to dollar spent, he is going to give you more production. Plus this Honda set up will only power a watermaker and a pressure cleaner. If I were going to run a Honda I'd prefer the EU2000 generator option Rich uses over the ability to use this one for only a watermaker and a pressure cleaner. You can run a cheap Home Depot pressure cleaner from a Honda EU2000. The EU2000 at 96cc has basically twice the hp and output as this 50cc Honda driven watermaker and will run about two hours longer on one tank of fuel. As far as where to store it, if you can store it you can install it in the same space. Now if you only need a watermaker for a week or two out of the year Spectra will rent you a portable one.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:12   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
However I also like the idea of using it as a high pressure wash. Dilemmas, dilemmas..
Consider this the best advice you will get on this thread - if you want a pressure washer, buy a pressure washer (they are cheap). You are in a world of hurt if you try to make your watermaker do double duty as a pressure washer.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:15   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Consider this the best advice you will get on this thread - if you want a pressure washer, buy a pressure washer (they are cheap). You are in a world of hurt if you try to make your watermaker do double duty as a pressure washer.

Mark
BINGO!!
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:24   #9

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark
Why ?

Is it wasting the pre filters ? or is there something else ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:25   #10

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Usually about an hour after drinking three beers

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 02:07   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We run ours off 12v and solar, so usually the best time is when the sun is shining and batteries are over 90% and only accepting 8 amps or so. The solar is putting out 50amps plus, so running the wm only uses solar. Our 65l wm draws 24A so when it's running there's no difference and we are still charging at maximum. I can't imagine needing 100l/hr, it would fill our tanks in 5hrs..
30l/hr would be enough for us. We run it for a couple of hours, twice a week at anchor and have more than enough water, however we don't heat the water often so showers are mostly cold water on the transom after a swim. We have 1120W of solar and 840Ah batteries which is really what you need to consider when choosing a WM, along with expected usage. If power is an issue, go for an efficient unit like a spectra. Personally I wouldn't want to deal with a Honda generator, storage, carrying fuel, noise etc but it's all part of an overall balanced power plan that you need to come up with to suit your boat and cruising style, both at anchor and on passage.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 02:35   #12

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I'd go for an engine driven unit, belt driven. abt 160ltrs /hr. Turn it on whenever the engine runs, you'll have heaps of water. Look here Open Ocean Watermakers - Home
Old 15-10-2014, 03:01   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

For a delivery skipper it solves a lot of problems.
I can think of lots of occasions this would be ideal for people who go on different vessels for extended times.
Horses for courses.
It would be nice to have just the portable unit without a power source and use the onboard electrics.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 03:36   #14

Boat: Binliner 195

Probably a dumb comment but why are water "makers" so expensive for boats ? ( I understand the boat rule of think of a price and quadruple it) What is so different from your normal domestic under sink RO unit, I have used them for years in the house, forgetting to change filters for 4 years in one case oops, Still worked fine 0 TDS,
The one I have now is actually a 24v dc pump run through a transformer, 5 stage, Around €300, As for rusting, I can not see any metal on it :-)

Random ebay link, but one of these, even if you had to add another prefilter ?Home Drinking RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System + Pressure Booster Pump | eBay

Tim
blackswan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 04:22   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

That watermaker does just 14L/hour. Which isn't all that great. The boost pump goes only to 85psi.

At 300eur you could buy a new one every year for the price of a marine RO. But this is designed to filter city tapwater. Which is already light in particulates and dissolved salts. I'm not sure how, or if, it would work in a marine environment.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water