Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 15:13   #31

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Re: What are you using for domestic water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Slow View Post
Wow, I should have thought of this a long time ago. I have made total wiring harnesses for custom cars and never gave the relay idea and especially the headlight relays a thought. THANKS
Fitting the relay today ahead of fitting it to the boat, probably void the warranty though...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:56   #32

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Any votes of confidence for the SPX Johnson pumps re reliability?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:39   #33

Boat: Currently boatless

footpump for galley sink; Jabsco for head sink.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:09   #34

After my electric pump died on my Cape Dory 28 I installed a brass Fynspray galley spout with whale baby footpump for the head sink and brass Fynspray handpump for the galley sink. Simple and aesthetically pleasing.
Don55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
My fresh water pump is on the way out. 3rd one in 2 years. Current one was even made in America. What is everybody using and is reliable?
Hi there.

I'm using Marco UP3 with a pre filter and a bladder pressure tank and it's been working great for the last three years, at least.
zaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:19   #36

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
My fresh water pump is on the way out. 3rd one in 2 years. Current one was even made in America. What is everybody using and is reliable?
Par Max 4 & Accumulator tank (two gallon).

We live aboard full time, use pressure hot and cold water and we shower aboard. We pump about 140 gallons a week through this pump unless we are cruising, then it's more like 35 gal per week.

This one has lasted since 2004 (nearly 15 years). The previous one was immersed in salt water during a flooding event, so we put in a new pump (we carry a spare) and shifted the old pump to the salt water system, where it is still in use. I'm not sure how old it is, and the pressure switch is not working so I have an external pressure switch, and it is noisy, but the salt water system is used less frequently. I'll keep it there until it fails.

The 15 year old one on the pressure fresh water system is working fine. It has a 5 minute timer which cuts out if the pump runs dry.

We have standardized on this model pump, although now I guess it is a Par Max Plus that is available. It is excellent and, for us, extremely durable, quiet, and bullet proof.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:31   #37

Boat: Catana 471

billknny and zaco - Noted that you've both had good service from Marco gear pumps. I seem to recall seeing a product video done by the manufacturer, and in the video the pumps seems very loud. Do you notice them being louder than the more common Jabsco / Shurflo diaprhagm pumps?
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:59   #38

Boat: Bristol 45.5

The groco paragon is now 28 years in service.....still running perfectly. ..will do that for ever if you treat her well.
charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:37   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
The groco paragon is now 28 years in service.....still running perfectly. ..will do that for ever if you treat her well.
Is this a belt driven vane pump?

We used a Groco Paragon Jr for several years but had to replace the vanes periodically. Once they are worn the pump was slow to prime. The belts will fail periodically as well. But in my opinion this is a very good, heavy duty, pump. However, for the money and durability, I'll go with a simple Sureflow or Par. The Paragon would pump 14 gallons per minute, and the Par Max 4 only 4, but we have a small boat, 4 is sufficient.
Old 07-12-2018, 13:09   #40

Boat: Currently boatless, but looking
Send a message via Skype™ to petesals

I have a Johnson system with a 19 lpm pump and accumulator tank on a common chassis. The accumulator had failed so water came out of the valve when I tried to re-pressurise it.

For not much more than the price of a new accumulator I installed an Even Flow pressure controller. Now the pump only spins at the speed necessary to provide the required demand. It is super quiet, there is no pressure fluctuation at all and I can adjust the system pressure by turning a knob. I've only had it for a month but super impressed. Seems like much less load on the pump, as the speed ramps up and down with demand and all the switching is taken care of by the controller. The pump pressure switch is no longer used.

Even Flow
petesals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 13:37   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin

Use a real fresh water system with twin pumps and a bladder ; and good quality switches ; They will last forever ; Contact a pump company such as Debco and they will help
Products
I like the Gianneschi pumps for fresh water but also bilge and fire pumps , It is expensive , heavy but work ; G& R german pumps are good as well
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 13:49   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
Use a real fresh water system with twin pumps and a bladder ; and good quality switches ; They will last forever ; Contact a pump company such as Debco and they will help
Products
I like the Gianneschi pumps for fresh water but also bilge and fire pumps , It is expensive , heavy but work ; G& R german pumps are good as well
OP is not building a ship, it's a friggin' sailboat, and a small to middle sized one at that.
Old 07-12-2018, 14:01   #43

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin

So , what is your problem,? the pumps are 12 V or 24 , Have a bladder and run forever ; Plus are pretty quiet , easy to install and give you constant 40PSI ; If it was for a power boat its a different story as you can run 240 V out of the gen set and use a A/C pump :
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 14:17   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
My Groco Paragon Jr lasted 28 years and would have kept going if the boat hadn’t sunk! It originally came with a big Square D pressure switch. I think Groco is making their own switch now.

I don’t know how to describe the pump but it’s like a hockey puck on an eccentric shaft. Dead stupid simple and very reliable. If you ever managed to wear one out, they are easy to rebuild.

The Marco pumps appear to be the same Italian gear pumps that Reverso sell for oil and fuel transfer. Also very reliable but a little noisy.
Old 07-12-2018, 14:27   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
So , what is your problem,? the pumps are 12 V or 24 , Have a bladder and run forever ; Plus are pretty quiet , easy to install and give you constant 40PSI ; If it was for a power boat its a different story as you can run 240 V out of the gen set and use a A/C pump :
The problem is that this is a vast overkill in terms of size, capacity, power requirements and expense for a small sailboat with limited space inside the engine room (or elsewhere on board).

OP can obtain a high capacity pump and accumulator tank for under $500 plus a bit of piping and fittings and use existing wiring.

Proposing a dual pump/bladder system with high-end Gianneschi pumps, external switches; etc, is not really a sincere proposal for OP but it certainly does let us know that you have the best of everything, congrats.

Tags
pump, water