Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 18:38   #1

Norcold icebox conversion kit SCQT4408-L chemical smell

I installed the Norcold icebox conversion kit 2 days ago and now the box has a strong chemical odor. I'm assuming that is Freon. But oddly it is holding temperature fine with about a dozen items it it. I already wrote an email to the company. I'm just curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the outcome was. The unit was purchased about a year ago and installation was delayed due to a family member falling ill so I had to move off of my boat temporarily. Thanks in advance for the help!
onebigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Norcold icebox conversion kit SCQT4408-L chemical smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigadventure View Post
I installed the Norcold icebox conversion kit 2 days ago and now the box has a strong chemical odor. I'm assuming that is Freon. But oddly it is holding temperature fine with about a dozen items it it. I already wrote an email to the company. I'm just curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the outcome was. The unit was purchased about a year ago and installation was delayed due to a family member falling ill so I had to move off of my boat temporarily. Thanks in advance for the help!
Your Norcold is charged with less than 3 ounces of refrigerant and unless severely overheated it should not create a order. If there is frost covering at least 90% of the evaporator's surface this would also rule out refrigerant leaks. Unwanted odors are generated in the boxes insulation and would be released into the box when hole were drilled for refrigerant lines. Did you seal up holes where refrigerant lines entered box.

To remove smell in box use a small amount of white vinegar in water to wipe down box interior.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, icebox