Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 14:37   #46

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Re: What are you using for domestic water pump

Obviously ;; you need to go after someone ;; good
The problem with your attack on my answers is the following ; You are going after me instead of answering this guy questions ; He is trying to get answers on brand and system ; do you think you answered that ? so please forget about my answers ; I have been using quality pumps indeed on medium and large boats for a long time and in places where they cannot fail because you do not get parts ;
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 14:52   #47

Amazon trupow 5gpm @ 10 amp $58.00
kurtsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 15:01   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I use a cheap $35 Flojet 03526-144A from Amazon or ebay, with a $30 accumulator from the big box stores. Ebay is cheaper. Lasted 3 years, Just tore one of three diaphrams on the pump, so it's on my need to replace real soon now.

I also have a galley foot pump which is 8 years old and going strong.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 15:12   #49

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
Obviously ;; you need to go after someone ;; good
The problem with your attack on my answers is the following ; You are going after me instead of answering this guy questions ; He is trying to get answers on brand and system ; do you think you answered that ? so please forget about my answers ; I have been using quality pumps indeed on medium and large boats for a long time and in places where they cannot fail because you do not get parts ;
Yes, I think I did answer his question, including brand and system:
"Par Max 4 & Accumulator tank (two gallon).

We live aboard full time, use pressure hot and cold water and we shower aboard. We pump about 140 gallons a week through this pump unless we are cruising, then it's more like 35 gal per week.

This one has lasted since 2004 (nearly 15 years). The previous one was immersed in salt water during a flooding event, so we put in a new pump (we carry a spare) and shifted the old pump to the salt water system, where it is still in use. I'm not sure how old it is, and the pressure switch is not working so I have an external pressure switch, and it is noisy, but the salt water system is used less frequently. I'll keep it there until it fails.

The 15 year old one on the pressure fresh water system is working fine. It has a 5 minute timer which cuts out if the pump runs dry.

We have standardized on this model pump, although now I guess it is a Par Max Plus that is available. It is excellent and, for us, extremely durable, quiet, and bullet proof."
And it is exactly because we too have traveled in places where parts and service are unavailable that we chose one common pump as a standard, for almost all of our onboard needs, and carry a spare, but by the way, we found that West Marine and Fed-ex will ship quickly and inexpensively to almost anywhere in the world. Buy something appropriate for the size of your vessel, which meets your capacity needs, from West Marine or other vendor who ships internationally, and when it fails, you install the spare and get to a port where W/M can ship you a replacement.

But, by the way, in 20+ years of cruising we have never been without a working pressure water system, even though we have a manual foot pump back up, it has never been used. It's all about simple durable systems and exactly the right choice of spares.
Old 07-12-2018, 15:24   #50

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
The problem with your attack on my answers is the following ; You are going after me instead of answering this guy questions
I attacked your answers because I thought that they were not sincere attempts to help the OP with useful suggestions but more like bragging about what good stuff you use. Sorry if I got a bit agro.
Old 07-12-2018, 17:47   #51

My Paragon Jr just wore out on me after 16 years of service, 12 of which were full time live aboard and cruising. The motor and pressure switch are just fine the pump head itself froze up. Have always had a 1 gallon accumulator in the system. The only negatives are price and it was a noisy little bugger.
Bluewater664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 23:27   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Is this a belt driven vane pump?

We used a Groco Paragon Jr for several years but had to replace the vanes periodically. Once they are worn the pump was slow to prime. The belts will fail periodically as well. But in my opinion this is a very good, heavy duty, pump. However, for the money and durability, I'll go with a simple Sureflow or Par. The Paragon would pump 14 gallons per minute, and the Par Max 4 only 4, but we have a small boat, 4 is sufficient.
Hi Wingsail, Groco makes several vane pumps but neither the Paragon or Paragon Jr are vane pumps. Here is a link to the parts drawing of the pump head used by the Paragon. The impellers don’t rotate, they kind of wobble.
https://www.groco.net/media/file/fil...d-p-9000-1.pdf
Old 08-12-2018, 23:20   #53

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Vetus 13 LPM 24v pump with domestic 8 litre accumulator.
Both eBay buys and about $150 in total delivered to the nearest post office.
At that price point we carry a spare.

Went the vetus because it has a 3 year warranty.

This was replacement for Johnson and jabsco pumps and jabsco acumulator
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water