Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2018, 20:20   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: What are you using for domestic water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most reliable are likely the diaphragm pumps, the belt driven ones, trying to remember the name, Jabsco maybe? However not enough flow for us, and it was a pulsating flow of course.
I’m using a Shurflo Aqua King, it’s weak link is the switch that turns it on, installing a automotive relay I hope has solved that issue, just too many amps for the switch by itself.
I think you mean a Jabsco model 36950. I have had one on my boat since I bought it 28 years ago. The pulsation damper needs to be replaced every few years and I had gone through quite a few pressure switches until I figured out why - more on that further down. I have rebuilt it completely once or twice. I was a full time live aboard for 19 years.

The pressure damper deforms over time. If you don't live aboard turn off the pump and relieve the pressure when you leave the boat. Doing that will extend it's life for years.

All of those pressure switches and many switches on other types of pumps including bilge and deck wash are using inadequate switches. I don't know why manufacturers don't get this. Maybe because of the cost of appropriate switches. The issue is that motor starting loads are many times the running loads and the switches can't handle it. The contacts burn and it's goodbye switch.

There is an easy and not very expensive solution to this problem. Automotive headlight relays are rated at 20 amps, plug into sockets, are easily obtained at any auto parts store and are cheap. Buy a relay and a socket. Wire the pressure switch to actuate the relay and use it to control the motor. Carry a few spare relays. Fast and easy to change and the expensive "marine grade" switch lasts forever.

I did this many years ago to three pumps and have not replaced a switch since. I have replaced a couple of relays at about $5 each.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 20:23   #17

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I have used and worn out a lot of marine fresh water system pumps over the years.

As a chemical engineer I have worked with more pumps than most people have even seen, and the ones usually available for this service are a pretty sorry lot made to a price point, not to last.

Go to Marco pumps and get one of their gear pumps. Clean, small, well designed, and long lasting. They aren't the cheapest out there, but no need for a 2nd mortgage either.

I installed two of these in full time live aboard service three years ago, they just keep working.

These look really good. Expensive, but if they last as long as you say, then well worth it. Fisheries carries them
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:43   #18

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I went through about 6 jabsco and surflo pumps in about as many years and then gave up using them for domestic pressure. Installed whale gusher galley foot pumps 8 years ago and they're still going strong. Still use an electric pressure pump for shower, but only shower. Got three years out of the jabsco in this application before the pressure switch went. Now have a seaflo pump? It's only one year old but no problems yet and I like the look of it. It feels more robust than the jabsco or surflo ones.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:52   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
All of those pressure switches and many switches on other types of pumps including bilge and deck wash are using inadequate switches. I don't know why manufacturers don't get this. Maybe because of the cost of appropriate switches.
No, its because they are in the business of selling you pumps. If you need a replacement pump every 2 or 3 years well that's good for business, especially if you replace like for like. What good would selling a pump that lasted 20 years be, they would never make any money for the shareholders.

We managed 9 years on our Jabsco ParMax before it leaked. No accumulator tank but we do pressure down when leaving the boat. Replaced like for like.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:35   #20

Quote:
I have used and worn out a lot of marine fresh water system pumps over the years.

As a chemical engineer I have worked with more pumps than most people have even seen, and the ones usually available for this service are a pretty sorry lot made to a price point, not to last.

I really hate recreational little boatie pumps, but I’ve had bad experiences. My advice (and my next setup) would be that if you have an inverter onboard then install a 230v (or 110v) domestic pump, and as large an accumulator that will fit (goto Home Depot and grab a 20 gallon+ unit).
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
More info needed.

Live aboard? Accumulator or no? What type of pump? Pressure setting?
Yes full time live aboard. Had an accumulator with
The jabsco setup. , failed, next a pump from China, failed. Now and American made pump...starting to make disturbing noises. I guess I can figure a new pump into the annual budget
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:53   #22

Quote:

Go to Marco pumps and get one of their gear pumps. Clean, small, well designed, and long lasting. They aren't the cheapest out there, but no need for a 2nd mortgage either.

I installed two of these in full time live aboard service three years ago, they just keep working.
I searched these pumps. Look promising but having a hard time finding retail source...would have a link?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:59   #23

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

I’ve got the sea flow 5.5 gah pump and after reading the earlier posts there is a sea flow accumulater also available for $30 on Amazon that I just ordered. The pump comes with a suction strainer and I plan to have a 10” filter in the ice box. Ask me in a year how it’s going.... currently the boat has no pressure water.

As a side note and I’ll detail later but I’m building a manifold that will allow me to draw from and pump to any one of the three tanks and a hose in the cockpit. As well as having a suction hose for nusence spills in the bilge if needed. And get this... supply pressure water to the head and galley

I like the idea of being able to pump water between the port and starboard tanks...

Trust me I can over complicate anything..!
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:14   #24

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Headhunter Mach 5
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Headhunter Mach 5
Interesting pump but not available in 12 volt DC
Old 01-12-2018, 09:39   #26

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
I’ve got the sea flow 5.5 gah pump and after reading the earlier posts there is a sea flow accumulater also available for $30 on Amazon that I just ordered. The pump comes with a suction strainer and I plan to have a 10” filter in the ice box. Ask me in a year how it’s going.... currently the boat has no pressure water.

As a side note and I’ll detail later but I’m building a manifold that will allow me to draw from and pump to any one of the three tanks and a hose in the cockpit. As well as having a suction hose for nusence spills in the bilge if needed. And get this... supply pressure water to the head and galley

I like the idea of being able to pump water between the port and starboard tanks...

Trust me I can over complicate anything..!
Probably not a good idea to cross contaminate your potable water system with “nuisance” bilge spills

Unless you like E. Coli and other fecal material, diesel, motor oil, and whatever crap falls off everyone’s feet in your drinking water
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:46   #27

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

After numerous "Marine " pumps , I installed a domestic pump. V reliable !
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:05   #28

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Probably not a good idea to cross contaminate your potable water system with “nuisance” bilge spills

Unless you like E. Coli and other fecal material, diesel, motor oil, and whatever crap falls off everyone’s feet in your drinking water
That was probably bad wording on my part the function was easy to add because there is a suction manifold, it could be used for emergency bilge but at 5.5 gpm probably not, maybe recovering potable water.

There will be a 10” filter after the pump so water can have particulates removed and with the use of some sterilization agent I hope to be able to keep everything safe and sound. I have the parts just need to put the whole thing together...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 13:15   #29

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I used Shurflo pumps--the last one did not need an accumulator tank. It ran for about a year and the bearings crapped out.

They were replaced quite cheaply with Japanese stainless steel fully sealed bearings--and the pumps run better and more quietly, four years at least, because then I removed the pump altogether and put it into storage.

For less than fifty bucks extra--they should use the best corrosion resistant bearings at the outset and save ME the job of fixing them later.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 13:35   #30

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I think you mean a Jabsco model 36950. I have had one on my boat since I bought it 28 years ago. The pulsation damper needs to be replaced every few years and I had gone through quite a few pressure switches until I figured out why - more on that further down. I have rebuilt it completely once or twice. I was a full time live aboard for 19 years.

The pressure damper deforms over time. If you don't live aboard turn off the pump and relieve the pressure when you leave the boat. Doing that will extend it's life for years.

All of those pressure switches and many switches on other types of pumps including bilge and deck wash are using inadequate switches. I don't know why manufacturers don't get this. Maybe because of the cost of appropriate switches. The issue is that motor starting loads are many times the running loads and the switches can't handle it. The contacts burn and it's goodbye switch.

There is an easy and not very expensive solution to this problem. Automotive headlight relays are rated at 20 amps, plug into sockets, are easily obtained at any auto parts store and are cheap. Buy a relay and a socket. Wire the pressure switch to actuate the relay and use it to control the motor. Carry a few spare relays. Fast and easy to change and the expensive "marine grade" switch lasts forever.

I did this many years ago to three pumps and have not replaced a switch since. I have replaced a couple of relays at about $5 each.
Wow, I should have thought of this a long time ago. I have made total wiring harnesses for custom cars and never gave the relay idea and especially the headlight relays a thought. THANKS
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water