Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 18:21   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: The frugal sailors stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I am. Got biscuits in the oven. temperature seems right on the money and the oven door is only warm to the touch (at 400 degrees F). I like it LOTS...
I am pleased for you.

Being comfortable is a good thing.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 18:58   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I hat this stuipid Ipad, I had all this typed once already.
OK short version, I don't trust a stove well enough to leave it un-monitored, even with the safety features, you can still get a leak in the hose before the stove and no safety for that, as well as a leak in the stove ( I had that once already).
I don't trust generators not to catch fire either and for that reason will probably never be able to sleep with one running, fire on a boat scares me more than most things.

See I think SC has an Engineers understanding of how her stove operates, and that will make her safer than the normal safety features, with knowledge comes safety.
I'm an old retired helicopter pilot and therefore I mistrust man made things, Harry Reasoner said it best.

The thing is, helicopters are different from airplanes. An airplane by its nature wants to fly and, if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in the delicate balance, the helicopter stops flying, immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.

This is why a helicopter pilot is so different a being from an airplane pilot, and why in general, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts, and helicopter pilots are brooders, introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if anything bad has not happened, it is about to.

Harry Reasoner
Approach magazine, November 1973
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 20:18   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Looks great, Sailorchic. The ability to turn out a good meal can really make things right with the world.

You are worth your weight in gold with all your skills and ability to make use of a good bargain.
Old 28-12-2014, 20:37   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I've done a bit of cooking now and I'm very please with how the oven bakes and the top burners work. The oven heated right to 400 degrees and held it well. The back of the oven was slightly hotter then the front, but the old stove was that way too. The biscuits were golden brown tops (even color side to side and front to back) and light brown to darker brown bottoms, front to back.

The top burners have 270 degree rotation from high to low. Well more like 90 degrees to light and then 180 degrees of smooth proportional adjustment high to low. Low was low, melted butter, but did not burn it. Very nice.

Heat output was very much like a land based stove, in that I was running a bit more then 1/2 capacity on the main burner and it heated fast and evenly. Very fast, even at 60% A huge improvement over the old stove.

The one down side is the top cook surface is pretty slick, pots slide pretty easy. So remounting the old fiddles will be next on my todo list. There is a cast iron looking top grate on the higher end stove. Not sure if that would be better, that is less smooth/slick.

So overall I'm very happy with how this stove cooks.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 21:25   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IMO, anyone who believes that a cook will ALWAYS be monitoring the flame on a stove is foolish, and the tank solenoid valve serves a completely different purpose than the thermo cutoffs.
Hum, well if you have the fancy gas solenoid control with a hydro-carbon gas sniffer that shuts the gas off and sounds an alarm on propane (or hydrogen) detection, it pretty much does the exact same thing as a termo-couple, which is closing a gas valve and safeing the stove. Though in the case of the thermo-couple it does not sound an alarm. Engineers love bells and whistles.

In ten years aboard, I've yet to simmer anything longer then 30 minutes or so. Plus my boat being smaller, I can lounge and annoy folks on line and even reach over and turn a stove knob up or down at the same time. Heck, now I can light a burner without getting up too. Soooo nice. The joys of a small "Cozy" cabin.

The sad truth, is I just can't afford a $1200-$1500 marine stove with the fancy thermo-couple safeties on the stove top. Nor do I want one.
Old 28-12-2014, 21:31   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
So overall I'm very happy with how this stove cooks.
Well, there's the bottom line! That is a lot better performance than our certified Marine Quality stove! But I do worry about the lack of thermo cutoffs, so be careful, lady!

Happy cooking,

Jim
Old 28-12-2014, 22:23   #22

Looks good! You did a great job!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 23:33   #23

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

===The sad truth, is I just can't afford a $1200-$1500 marine stove with the fancy thermo-couple safeties on the stove top. Nor do I want one ===

sailorchic34,

What I wonder is what that old stove looked like. Was that old stove subjected to a salty environment for all those years? If it looked halfway decent, I could see installing one - I have often thought about the RV appliances since there are many similarities.

I am in the process of reconstructing a very old boat. There is nothing inside it - I will be essentially building entirely new accommodations. Keeping the cost down while being safe is becoming somewhat of an obsession to me.

Thanks for posting this.

Daniel McNeil
Old 29-12-2014, 08:43   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
===The sad truth, is I just can't afford a $1200-$1500 marine stove with the fancy thermo-couple safeties on the stove top. Nor do I want one ===

sailorchic34,

What I wonder is what that old stove looked like. Was that old stove subjected to a salty environment for all those years? If it looked halfway decent, I could see installing one - I have often thought about the RV appliances since there are many similarities.

I am in the process of reconstructing a very old boat. There is nothing inside it - I will be essentially building entirely new accommodations. Keeping the cost down while being safe is becoming somewhat of an obsession to me.

Thanks for posting this.

Daniel McNeil
Yes the old trav'ler stove was installed 42 years ago on the boat and was always in a seaside environment. it was rusting out both on the oven tray, that holds the oven burner and around some of the burners on the top plate But i felt that it was not too bad for 40+ years on a boat. The top rust, only started over the last few years.

I used the old trav'ler stove just about every day for the last seven years for all meals, and it worked fine. The stove top was still working but the oven thermocouple had stopped working a few weeks ago, which is why I replaced it. The long life of the trav'ler RV stove is what made me try a new RV stove. That and the price.

Below is a photo of Elvis, my old trav'ler stove, that was retired yesterday after 42 year of service. Mind you, if I get 1/2 the life with the new stove, I'll call it good.

The new oven has a porcelain top deck and grate, what looks like a powder coated oven door, but might be anodized, and galvanized steel sides and back. The trav'ler also had galvanized sides and back and had no rust on the exterior.

The nice thing about the Atwood/wedgewood stoves is that any RV dealer can order parts for them. They are very common in RV's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03699.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	94466  
Old 29-12-2014, 08:51   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Its not pink.
SPECTACULAR JOB!!!

However.... I also suggest you should have tried for the proper color replacement...

The original Poo Brown
Harvest Gold
Avocado Green

Guests are going to think you're snooty now...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 08:53   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I hat this stuipid Ipad, I had all this typed once already.

The thing is, helicopters are different from airplanes. An airplane by its nature wants to fly and, if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in the delicate balance, the helicopter stops flying, immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.
Hee hee... I hat your pad too...

AND....

This is the specific reason there are no "Helicopter Museums"

Old 29-12-2014, 09:00   #27

My 44 footer came with a Magic Chef stove in it. AFAIK that's an RV stove. No idea if or what it had for safety features, I just turn everything off when not in use.
I'm pretty surprised that the same safety features aren't needed for an RV as a boat. If anything the RV is more closed up most the time. I guess there may not be any govt regulation for either..?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 09:12   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
SPECTACULAR JOB!!!

However.... I also suggest you should have tried for the proper color replacement...

The original Poo Brown
Harvest Gold
Avocado Green

Guests are going to think you're snooty now...
You know, I was almost liking that poo brown color too... almost. Ha, well folks have to climb over the fancy smacy fuschia (hot pink) cap rails first. I am so high class....
Old 29-12-2014, 09:13   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My 44 footer came with a Magic Chef stove in it. AFAIK that's an RV stove. No idea if or what it had for safety features, I just turn everything off when not in use.
I'm pretty surprised that the same safety features aren't needed for an RV as a boat. If anything the RV is more closed up most the time. I guess there may not be any govt regulation for either..?

Internal documentation from NFPA and regulations... I don't have a copy of NFPA 1192 yet.... So... I don't know the current legal requirement... I'll keep lookin'

First Revision No. 13:NFPA 1192-2011

5.4.5 Flame Failure Devices. Fuel-burning ranges and cooktops shall have a flame failure device on
all burners and pilot lights. This requirement shall not become effective until September 1, 2017.

HappyMdRGordo...

Old 29-12-2014, 09:20   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You know, I was almost liking that poo brown color too... almost. Ha, well folks have to climb over the fancy smacy fuschia (hot pink) cap rails first. I am so high class....
Well... All good things must come to an end I suppose...

I've seen your caprail in a closeup pic... Never in the full shot view... DEFINITELY SC style !!!

You best be careful though... Certain establishments are commonly adorned with a pink exterior theme... Not that I have any experience with said establishments...

Tags
sail