Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2014, 16:03   #46

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: The frugal sailors stove

The oven insulation material is called FiberFrax. I had a heck of a time locating a local vendor, finally found one in Los Angeles. They didn't want to sell me the small amount I needed,........ so they sent it to me as a gift. It is a little denser than fiberglass batting, but considerably more insulative. Prior to learning about FiberFrax, I was going to simply use ceramic floor tile, and a baking stone inside the oven. But, the weight is an issue, so I was very happy to score the FiberFrax. You only need a few square feet to cover the two sides, the top, and a portion of the back. I will still probably purchase a baking stone, though, to really control the heat in the oven.

http://www.industrialinsulation.com/...er_blanket.htm
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 16:30   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Back in the 60s-70s Magic Chef was a top name in home ovens and stoves, big on the over-and-under combinations. And I think vastly overrated, not so reliable even before electronics muddied the waters.

So range burners are expected to have thermodoodads and safety cutoffs and more things to break now too?! I'd have to weigh the odds...go mad from ill-mannered safety devices misbehaving with glee? Or get blown to kingdom come? Hmmm....

Decisions, decisions....
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 16:53   #48

Magic Chef had all the doodads back then. It's not rocket science, they just made good products for limited use away from corrosive saltwater. The newer stoves incorporate the same safety devices. It's considered bad form and a poor business model to destroy your customer base explosively. Like anything, buy good, well made products, check them out in a timely manner for leaks and corrosion, use the product on a regular basis, and stay current with all the latest manifestations of Murphy's Law.
Old 31-12-2014, 17:08   #49

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The oven insulation material is called FiberFrax. I had a heck of a time locating a local vendor, finally found one in Los Angeles. They didn't want to sell me the small amount I needed,........ so they sent it to me as a gift. It is a little denser than fiberglass batting, but considerably more insulative. Prior to learning about FiberFrax, I was going to simply use ceramic floor tile, and a baking stone inside the oven. But, the weight is an issue, so I was very happy to score the FiberFrax. You only need a few square feet to cover the two sides, the top, and a portion of the back. I will still probably purchase a baking stone, though, to really control the heat in the oven.

Ceramic Fiber Blanket Insulation, Fiberfrax Durablanket® - Industrial Insulation
Thanks Roy, I'll see what I can find....Just got back from a cold sail (thinking about the oven didn't warm things up) but a good way to end the year.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:52   #50

I'm going up to Sedro Wooley in a couple weeks to visit family. I'm not too eager to hang out in the cold, though. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2015, 21:44   #51

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

So, Ceramic figurine material, of 1/4 ", with 1/2" air gap between the two layers should reduce overall weight and insulate adequately. The question remains, do we have more time or money, and which inspector is going to cause us to be dropped from our insurance for DIY stove modifications.?
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:53   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

lonesoldier,

do not underestimate the laziness of people..... ;-)
Old 02-01-2015, 07:40   #53

Is it possible that someone might modify other stuff on their boat, as well? That's pretty terrifying. What is it with these cruiser folks? They seem like an unruly, ungovernable lot. It's a wonder how they have managed to survive.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:50   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Is it possible that someone might modify other stuff on their boat, as well? That's pretty terrifying. What is it with these cruiser folks? They seem like an unruly, ungovernable lot. It's a wonder how they have managed to survive.
HA HA!!!!!!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04   #55

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
...I pop riveted the old gimbals plates to the new stove using steel rivets. The balance point sits a little more toward the front of the stove, but its not bad at all.
I was (erroneously) under the impression that sailors could only cook on certified marine stoves made of rust proof materials that cost thousands... wow - you are defying the gods of marketing!

Thanks for sharing this. I have a couple of questions about the gimbals - how did you find the balance point (vertical and horizontally), and do you have to use ballast?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:09   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
They seem like an unruly, ungovernable lot. It's a wonder how they have managed to survive.
It is a wonder. It is very possible that I have ungovernable tendencies.

The coasties who've boarded my boat have never questioned my wall mounted Mr. Buddy catalytic heater with added draft hood and vent, nor my home made anchor light or the RV stove which was on the boat for 42 years. The surveyor who did the original survey, made no mention of the stove.

The new RV stove has far more safety features then the 1972 version did. My personal preference is to not have thermocouples on the stove top burners as they will fail at most annoying times. I have a sniffer that will perform the same function of the thermocouple. Though slightly delayed, it will still keep the boat from filling with propane and going boom.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:21   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
It is a wonder. It is very possible that I have ungovernable tendencies.
Is there an understatement of the century thread somewhere???

Maybe we should start a group at the very least...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:22   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I was (erroneously) under the impression that sailors could only cook on certified marine stoves made of rust proof materials that cost thousands... wow - you are defying the gods of marketing!

Thanks for sharing this. I have a couple of questions about the gimbals - how did you find the balance point (vertical and horizontally), and do you have to use ballast?
Balance point was found by picking it up and through trial and error finding the location where that is. Hint: its a bit towards the front of center. Ballast was not used on th old stove and so far not needed on the new stove.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:22   #59

sailorchic34, you are a dangerous influence on this forum. Delicious.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:41   #60

Quote:
sailorchic34, you are a dangerous influence on this forum. Delicious.
Yes, this independent thinking without consideration to what the insurance statisticians would think is unfathomable.... OTOH... I doubt most insurance people would know a sextant from a sex toy....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail