Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 14:20   #31

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Spectra Watermaker Filter Cleaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I don't mean to be picky about the wording but sometimes it makes a difference. You stated the boost pump pressure drops. That's what I was addressing. Certainly a dirty filter will show lower pressures on the output side of the pre-filter. That's where the sensor is. But that is not boost pressure. Your system is experiencing a vacuum, that's why your feed pump is complaining. Where are you operating your watermaker again?
I'm not in front of the watermaker at the moment. As I recall, it relates three pressures. One is on the order of 10-20psi. One is on the order of 50-80psi. One is on the order of 600-800psi. I believe the first is measured at the input to the feed pump, the second at the output, and the third after the clark (HP) pump. I believe that the system calls the first one "boost" and the second one "feed" but I wouldn't swear to it. What I do know is that the first one drops after only ~20-25 hours of use to the point where the 5 micron filter needs to be replaced; and once replaced it is happy for a little while again.

In a few weeks I'm leaving New England for Bermuda. I'm taking dozens of filters with me, but hopefully I won't need them.

Other than ridiculous filter consumption, I'm happy with the Spectra Catalina.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 14:27   #32

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
...I would advise not running it there at all.... and as humbly as possible I would gently consul you to heed my advice.
Thank you for your advice. Had I known that the Spectra was not suitable for use in waters with higher particular matter, I might have chosen differently. Here is a map showing the visibility (which is an inverse proxy for particulate matter) in the oceans of the world. As one can see visibiilty in many areas of the world's oceans is an order of magnitude less than in others. It would be a shame if the spectra could not perform well at latitudes higher than about 35 degrees. I recognize that not all particulate matter causes visual obscurity. If you have other data on suspended particulate matter in our oceans, I'd love to see it.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 14:35   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

No, unfortunately I don't have other data. I rely on a lot of years of experience. But the Catalina is one of Spectras work horse watermakers. You do have a very good system. But I take a lot of time with new prospective customers to make sure they understand the pros and cons of any watermaker. I also try to get a real understanding of how they intend to use their watermakers and where before hand so I can recommend the best way to set a watermaker up to fit their needs.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 15:19   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Tellie, what is a sediment filter, you have a link to one?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 15:28   #35

Boat: Island Packet, 40
Send a message via Skype™ to saillr

A64 - I think it may be a 100 micron stainless filter. I have one replacing the coarse prefilter. I think Spectra sold it as a plankton filter. Seems to save the 50 from excess cleaning. Easy to clean, no need to dry.
saillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 17:03   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, I found some on Amazon, but they were all brass heads with large threaded ends.
Is there maybe a cartridge that fits the standard 10” filter body?
Old 21-08-2019, 19:32   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I'm a bit old school. When I said sediment filter I meant a multi media filter. A multi-media prefiltration system may be required if there is high levels of suspended solids in the feed water. These can be large and bulky, but they do work. These are usually seen on much larger RO watermakers. We use them a lot on land based systems. The below link might help explain this better.

https://puretecwater.com/downloads/b...ration-mmf.pdf
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 23:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK, I found some on Amazon, but they were all brass heads with large threaded ends.
Is there maybe a cartridge that fits the standard 10” filter body?
I bought a couple last year since my original had a little galvanic corrosion at the welds. I must have the info somewhere and will forward when I find it. Yes they are standard size as the paper filter but came with a much larger/husky filter body. I have some here on the boat and can take a pic tomorrow if interested.
Old 21-08-2019, 23:28   #39

I found them OK. They are available on Granger for $89 bucks apiece. Will last for years.
https://www.grainger.com/search?sear...s+steel+filter
Old 28-08-2019, 07:38   #40

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Tried the clean and sun dry method on new filters hoping to get a second use out of them. Sun bleached until nice and white. Initially was hopeful with feed pressure at 81 and 16.8 indicated on the profilter screen. Water 3 miles off
Chincoteague MD (Atlantic ocean) seemed clean enough, no obvious flotsam. In 45 minutes the pressure dropped to 70 and 10 respectively and the Spectra slowed production. 15 minutes later the alarm came on and it stopped. So maybe I got 20 gallons after cleaning. I guess worth keeping as emergency back-up filters but would hardly call them reusable in at least the coastal environment. I would say there is a market for someone who can come up with a hardy filter that can be truly reprocessed and used over and over again. I can’t invision carrying dozens and dozens of filters for this unit on a long passage so plan on investing in a rainwater collector to supplement.
VeinDocFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 23:40   #41

Something wrong with your sensors. I get at a minimum 5 cleanings per filter.
Old 29-08-2019, 03:59   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Spectra Watermaker Filter Cleaning?

Quote:
I'm sorry, I misspoke. I'm a bit old school. When I said sediment filter I meant a multi media filter. A multi-media prefiltration system may be required if there is high levels of suspended solids in the feed water. These can be large and bulky, but they do work. These are usually seen on much larger RO watermakers. We use them a lot on land based systems. The below link might help explain this better.

https://puretecwater.com/downloads/b...ration-mmf.pdf

That looks like a pool filter, I guess would work though.
Probably is large, and I have no way to back flush it
Old 30-08-2019, 06:45   #43

Boat: Kady Krogen 42

I put a metal Plankton filter in my Cape Horn supply line. It doubled the time between filter changes. Fine mesh screen is easy to clean, the re-install.

I also soak my filters in a bucket with a dollop of bleach. Kills the critters, etc.
RoseLoper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 07:59   #44

Boat: Sail and power

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeinDocFL View Post
I have a Spectra 400 water maker that works great but can't clean and reuse the filters. Regardless how hard I try to clean them with hose pressure, dragging behind boat, toothbrush etc, when I reinstall and try to run the maker I get the "service pre-filter" warning after just a few minutes. I was under the impression that I could get a couple of uses out of them and was hoping not to have to carry a boatload of filters cruising. Has anyone had luck with a technique or maybe operational setting? One time I cleaned the 20 micron and replaced the 5 micron and that worked so it's likely the 5 being the issue.

My Spectra Newport 400 worked great for a few years then the "service prefilter" alarm kept repeating shortly after replacing the filters. The installer didn't put an upstream filter before the check valve (backflow preventer during the flush cycle). As the check valve cage plugged up with more weed etc, it caused an upstrem restriction just as if the 5&20s were fouled. After installing an upstream screen/filter, that problem wes resolved.
T. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 18:32   #45

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillr View Post
Something wrong with your sensors. I get at a minimum 5 cleanings per filter.

Our Spectra 400 sensor readings are totally wild. I just had a set of filters that lasted for probably 700 gallons in a Grenada harbor and finally changed them despite reading 80% life remaining because they would drop to 19%, then go back to 80% and everything in between. They were black. Next set of filters in the same place gave the warning after 200 gallons.

Tags
cleaning, water, watermaker