Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 14:24   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Mismarked (?) Spectra Filter Element

Today I installed a new Harmsco Industrial Filter element in the 20 micron filter housing of my Spectra Catalina 300 Water Maker. When I checked the size of the pores in the filter, one end cap said 50 microns and the other end said 20 microns. Both end caps on the element were blue, just like all the other 20 micron filters I have used before and have in stock. Going with a preponderance of evidence, I concluded that the filter was in fact 20 microns but somehow was manufactured with one incorrectly printed blue end cap. These filter elements were supplied by the installer in early 2005.

Is my conclusion sound? What are the repercussions if wrong? Have you ever heard of a filter element mismarked this way?
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 15:36   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Mismarked (?) Spectra Filter Element

Interesting. Like you stated, blue usually denotes 20 Micron. But it won't really matter as long as you have the 5 Micron in place. The new Catalina's now only come with the 5 Micron filter eliminating the 20 Micron altogether so you're fine even if the filter really is a 50 Micron. It's the 5 Micron that is the important one.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 16:21   #3

Boat: Ted Hood, J. S 116 ft.
Re: Mismarked (?) Spectra Filter Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
Today I installed a new Harmsco Industrial Filter element in the 20 micron filter housing of my Spectra Catalina 300 Water Maker. When I checked the size of the pores in the filter, one end cap said 50 microns and the other end said 20 microns. Both end caps on the element were blue, just like all the other 20 micron filters I have used before and have in stock. Going with a preponderance of evidence, I concluded that the filter was in fact 20 microns but somehow was manufactured with one incorrectly printed blue end cap. These filter elements were supplied by the installer in early 2005.

Is my conclusion sound? What are the repercussions if wrong? Have you ever heard of a filter element mismarked this way?
Dreaming Yachtsman,
You have to be now-a-days really careful with all vendors because they buy and ship and don’t always examine what they ship out. In a field test of a few manufactures that have little or no validation in GMP of there products. One company shipped out 2.5 million products that had the wrong codes/or color codes on them. With the FDA involved the company’s were forced to do a recall. With this I’m not sure. However I would call the company and make them aware of this issue and have them provide you free replacements so it does not void your units warrantees. Hope this helps.
Good Luck! Richard
TheTeelSea is offline   Reply With Quote