Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 13:04   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Boat toilets

Scott,

Five yard penalty for withholding information, replay first down.

I used a similar setup to provide flush saltwater from my anchor washdown pump for my Thetford Nano Eco installation.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 13:54   #17
Marine Service Provider

'Twould be an interesting idea if Thetford hadn't discontinued both the manual and electric versions of the Comfort Mate a couple of years ago.

But there's no reason why it wouldn't work just as well with Jabsco bowl...or any toilet bowl that you can figure out how to secure to the head sole.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 14:12   #18
Marine Service Provider

I can see doing that if you have a TMC, or worse yet a 5 Oceans...but why would anyone scrap a top of the line $1000+ toilet for a jury rigged $150 macerator pump unless he had no idea what he was scrapping?

That happens more often than you think. I used to run into a lot of people--first time boat owners who'd bought older boats mostly--who'd scrapped W-C Skippers and Imperials to buy a Jabsco manual when they found out that a rebuild kit for the Skipper costs more than a new Jabsco. To me, that was like scrapping a Rolls Royce for Yugo (remember those?) because the scheduled service for Rolls costs as much as the Yugo.
Old 02-03-2017, 14:57   #19

Boat: Alberg 35

I understand your point Peg, on the other hand...I have a Groco K that I rebuilt last year that doesn't seem to be working correctly. It's $100 for the rebuild kit as I remember and I"m thinking about whether I really want to go through this again, as opposed to something inexpensive that would at least work for a couple of seasons.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 15:48   #20

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I can see doing that if you have a TMC, or worse yet a 5 Oceans...but why would anyone scrap a top of the line $1000+ toilet for a jury rigged $150 macerator pump unless he had no idea what he was scrapping?

That happens more often than you think. I used to run into a lot of people--first time boat owners who'd bought older boats mostly--who'd scrapped W-C Skippers and Imperials to buy a Jabsco manual when they found out that a rebuild kit for the Skipper costs more than a new Jabsco. To me, that was like scrapping a Rolls Royce for Yugo (remember those?) because the scheduled service for Rolls costs as much as the Yugo.
Buy the best and quit having problems, that was my line of thinking when I invested so much in a toilet (don't forget the new Lectra san, Y valve and hoses when you add it all up) I have a few too many toilet stories having lived aboard 13 plus years. Imagine if you will...Living aboard with a family of three, Saturday evening and your top of the line toilet breaks down. I cannot get parts locally until Monday, nope make that I cannot get special parts for my special toilet locally period! I can tell you my wife and daughter are not impressed, even if I show them the price and read them the advertising.

I knew what the thing was that's why I bought it, to end the headaches. We didn't have problems often with any of our toilets but tell me how many times you want to release the hose connections containing un flushed urine and fecal matter? once in 13 years? how about a few times in 13 years?

I can guarantee you one thing, my jury rigged toilet out performed every other marine head I have been around. I never had an issue with it and what made the setup a million times better than the Tecma silence was the fact I could buy any macerator pump and any intake pump available at the time so I could have a functioning toilet quickly. I guess if I slapped a through the roof price tag on it and a fancy name you would approve? Oh wait somebody did, ever here of a Galley maid marine head? $1500 plus, here is what they say:

"Galley Maid Delta Electric Standard Marine Heads, for fresh or salt water application. This Galley Maid heads maintain a water level in the porcelain toilet bowl, on a fiberglass base. The Galley Maid motor pump assembly will pass through cigars, filter cigarettes, and any type of toilet paper, Kleenex, hairpins, and most of all waste-except rags. Motor and pump are mounted remotely and unit comes complete with automatic timer. Available in white only."

Hmmmm looks like a macerator pump? silly me for doing it myself.

Our holding tank started leaking and I removed the whole system and now have a composting toilet.

On a side note I have two Skippers and 4 rebuild kits sitting in storage. If I ever venture back over to the dark side I will give them a shot.

FYI, anyone considering a lectra san/ Electra san be aware that the plate inside does have a limited life span so you can add that $300 part to your list of fun things to buy and fun jobs to do.

Peg Hall, I appreciate all that you have contributed to the boating community over the years. Much of what I learned concerning this subject is from you.
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 18:37   #21
Marine Service Provider

The Model K is another $1k toilet... If you rebuilt it just a year ago, another rebuild isn't the answer. How old is it? What seems to be its problem? You're welcome to give me a shout via email to see if we can figure out what it does need.
Old 02-03-2017, 20:02   #22

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa Scott View Post
... I removed the whole system and now have a composting toilet...

I'm very interested in replacing my failing 13 year old manual toilet and holding tank with a composting toilet. How do they work for a live aboard? Are you and your family happy with it? Any down sides?

Thanks!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 20:32   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Love my composter never.clogs or breaks down and dont have to search for pumpout.
Full time liveaboard for 6 years. I made the switch and now I would never look back.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:09   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Love my composter never.clogs or breaks down and dont have to search for pumpout.
Full time liveaboard for 6 years. I made the switch and now I would never look back.
My cats say the same thing about their composting toilet. Their only complaint is that their staff doesn't scoop it often enough.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:17   #25

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Just rip the built in pump off and replace with a whale gusher black water manual pump. It has a 5 year warranty but it'll last forever. Plus no need to worry about greasing and mucking about with it. If you do need to open it, the lid twists off by hand giving you easy access to the inside.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:27   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
My cats say the same thing about their composting toilet. Their only complaint is that their staff doesn't scoop it often enough.
Ok well your cats box isnt a composter it is a desicator next my composter separates the urine from the solids therefore it doesnt smell the same.
( obviously you have not had actual experience with a composting head)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:53   #27

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Marine dry heads do not make compost. Turning manure into compost takes many months and requires heat and moisture, two things you don't want in a dry head. Dry heads are desiccating heads no matter what the manufacturer calls it.

I love my C-Head.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:59   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
Marine dry heads do not make compost. Turning manure into compost takes many months and requires heat and moisture, two things you don't want in a dry head. Dry heads are desiccating heads no matter what the manufacturer calls it.

I love my C-Head.
Remember the head is just the first stage in the composting process.
Old 03-03-2017, 21:39   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Newhaul, I'm kind of teasing about the litter box but there are similarities.

A marine composting toilet treats waste in a similar fashion to a litter box with clumping litter.

Both separate urine and desicate the solids. Neither actually produces compost you could put on your garden without further processing.

Both require you to handle the waste. A litter box needs to be scooped and the waste disposed of. With the composting toilet you have to empty the solids and liquids containers.

Don't you have to mix the solids with the composting media? Cats do that in their litter box as well.

The more I think about it, the more I see similarities. I'm not criticizing composting toilets, they work well for cats. Why not humans?
Old 03-03-2017, 22:09   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Newhaul, I'm kind of teasing about the litter box but there are similarities.

A marine composting toilet treats waste in a similar fashion to a litter box with clumping litter.

Both separate urine and desicate the solids. Neither actually produces compost you could put on your garden without further processing.

Both require you to handle the waste. A litter box needs to be scooped and the waste disposed of. With the composting toilet you have to empty the solids and liquids containers.

Don't you have to mix the solids with the composting media? Cats do that in their litter box as well.

The more I think about it, the more I see similarities. I'm not criticizing composting toilets, they work well for cats. Why not humans?
Actually most of the world does composte humanure
Remember the book
https://humanurehandbook.com/downloa...ion_manual.pdf

Tags
boat, oil