Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 14:04   #1

Boat: Catana 521
Spectra Water Maker Issues MPC, Leaks.

Hello, I have a Spectra Newport 400 MK II water maker and have a bunch of issues. I'm hoping Tellie and members can help me to trouble shoot and determine what parts I need to order.

I'm also in Panama and therefore have lack of local experts where I'm located. If anyone knows of knowledgeable Spectra Tech guy in Shelter Bay or on the Caribbean side of Panama please let me know.

Below are my issues and hoping someone can help me sort out my problems. I have a Spectra trouble shooting guide, but my issues are not addressed.

I really appreciate any help and not able to continue on to the south pacific until resolved. And need to resolve these issues and fix it in Panama if possible.

Aloha,
David

Water Maker Issues:

Leak Issue:
1. Water maker has small leak pressure outlet port to clark pump due to possible over tightening fitting and cracking the manifold block in the Newport Pump Module. Solution is to buy new Manifold block.

Is there a reason why this happened and may be causing my other issues with the MPC?

MPC Issue:
2. Issue with run water maker Auto program and MPC automation software. First, when doing a start up when powering up after being in long term storage with pickling solution. The program will do a auto flush purge with the pressure release value open. But, does not stop fresh water purge in 20 min. and give the message close pressure release valve. I have to over ride the flush fresh water program to get it to stop. By pushing both buttons to by pass purge cycle option.

MPC Issue:
When I push the auto run program to make water it does not turn on the light and give you options of how many hours to run. The auto run program does not work. But, the water maker goes into water making mode in a manual way with the switch on auto and not manual. The water maker seems to run fine and has no errors, shut downs, bad noises and has produces good water with proper feed pump pressure and water output.

MPC Issue:
The stop bottom does not work to shut down the water making program which seems to be stuck in manual mode. And I have to pull the fuse and kill the power to stop it.

MPC Issue:
I can get the auto store program bottom to work and will go thru a 5 min fresh water flush for storage. But, after the 5 min. fresh water flush is done. It will not turn off. The water maker goes back into manual water maker mode. I have to pull the fuse to stop it and the stop button will not work.

Manual Mode Issue:

1. Manual mode does not seem to be functioning and does not run water maker off toggle switch. The water maker just starts up on it's own like described above in the MPC Issue and manual mode toggle switch has no working function. It seems the water maker is stuck in manual mode and MPC is disabled?

What trouble shooting or reasons this is happening? Is there a way of rebooting factory settings of the MPC software or circuit broad?

Leak Issue Cylinder Assembly: (Clark Pump)

1. A steady drip leak is occurring in the center bottom of the Center Block and and leaking on the mounting Bracket. It seems water is coming from corner of center block on right side bottom corner. All four allen head screws where tight and the leak may be due to a worn center block cylinder O ring.

What parts may be needed to stop leak how do I determine what has failed?
jimmysbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:30   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Water Maker Issues MPC, Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysbliss View Post
Hello, I have a Spectra Newport 400 MK II water maker and have a bunch of issues. I'm hoping Tellie and members can help me to trouble shoot and determine what parts I need to order.

I'm also in Panama and therefore have lack of local experts where I'm located. If anyone knows of knowledgeable Spectra Tech guy in Shelter Bay or on the Caribbean side of Panama please let me know.

Below are my issues and hoping someone can help me sort out my problems. I have a Spectra trouble shooting guide, but my issues are not addressed.

I really appreciate any help and not able to continue on to the south pacific until resolved. And need to resolve these issues and fix it in Panama if possible.

Aloha,
David

Water Maker Issues:

Leak Issue:
1. Water maker has small leak pressure outlet port to clark pump due to possible over tightening fitting and cracking the manifold block in the Newport Pump Module. Solution is to buy new Manifold block.

Is there a reason why this happened and may be causing my other issues with the MPC? This actually is fairly rare to happen, but yes over tightening of a fitting in the manifold will cause the manifold to crack. These areas do not need to be tightened down hard. But if the manifold is cracked then it needs to be replaced. This crack should have no effect on the MPC controls.

MPC Issue:
2. Issue with run water maker Auto program and MPC automation software. First, when doing a start up when powering up after being in long term storage with pickling solution. The program will do a auto flush purge with the pressure release value open. But, does not stop fresh water purge in 20 min. and give the message close pressure release valve. I have to over ride the flush fresh water program to get it to stop. By pushing both buttons to by pass purge cycle option. During the "Purge mode after a long term start up the system does not use your fresh water but pulls salt water from the thru hull to do the 20 minute purging of storage solution. If your fresh water pump is running at all something is set wrong.

MPC Issue:
When I push the auto run program to make water it does not turn on the light and give you options of how many hours to run. The auto run program does not work. But, the water maker goes into water making mode in a manual way with the switch on auto and not manual. The water maker seems to run fine and has no errors, shut downs, bad noises and has produces good water with proper feed pump pressure and water output. Check the MPC control panels connection at both the back of the control panel and at the control board. It's rare the control panel ever has issues if the connections are good and it is operating the watermaker in any way.

MPC Issue:
The stop bottom does not work to shut down the water making program which seems to be stuck in manual mode. And I have to pull the fuse and kill the power to stop it. The manual mode can only be operated and run at the toggle switch on the unit itself. If you are pressing the auto run button and then pressing the stop button and the system will not shut down then there is a problem with the control board.

MPC Issue:
I can get the auto store program bottom to work and will go thru a 5 min fresh water flush for storage. But, after the 5 min. fresh water flush is done. It will not turn off. The water maker goes back into manual water maker mode. I have to pull the fuse to stop it and the stop button will not work. Again it sounds like a board issue.

Manual Mode Issue:

1. Manual mode does not seem to be functioning and does not run water maker off toggle switch. The water maker just starts up on it's own like described above in the MPC Issue and manual mode toggle switch has no working function. It seems the water maker is stuck in manual mode and MPC is disabled?

What trouble shooting or reasons this is happening? Is there a way of rebooting factory settings of the MPC software or circuit broad? You can try a re-boot but it might not help. This would require a call to walk you through how to reboot the board. Jean at tech support is great.
(415) 526-2780

Leak Issue Cylinder Assembly: (Clark Pump)

1. A steady drip leak is occurring in the center bottom of the Center Block and and leaking on the mounting Bracket. It seems water is coming from corner of center block on right side bottom corner. All four allen head screws where tight and the leak may be due to a worn center block cylinder O ring. If this is an older NP400, as I suspect, this is most assuredly the check valve O-rings that have failed. Spectra tried to use a fancy O-ring here years ago that have a tendency to actually crack over time, thus the leak you describe. Replace all four with the newer style O-rings and you won't have this issue again. Remove the cylinders, there are two on each cylinder and and are easy to replace and a good time to inspect both cylinders as well.

What parts may be needed to stop leak how do I determine what has failed?
From what I can gather from your post you will at least need a new manifold, four new check valve O-rings, and possibly a new control board. Call Jean and she can get you in touch with the nearest dealer.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:43   #3

Boat: Catana 521
Re: Spectra Water Maker Issues MPC, Leaks.

Good Morning Tellie, thank you so much for your quick response and information. This really helps me to move forward and really hope my MPC is not failed. You had help me once before and was the nicest, generous person with you time and effort. Sharing you knowledge and expertise on water makers with the cruising community. Boaters with water maker issues stuck in exotic places owe you a steak and lobsters dinner and drinks. Or pay you hourly, but you help as all blue water cruisers do in boaters in need. And what goes around, comes around. Thank you

I will contact Jean for more info on parts and pricing of the MPC board. I have just a few questions when you have the time.

1. If the MPC board failed, would running in manual mode not be possible or should if still work? Which is a problem with a smart fully automated system like Spectra if this happen in a remote atoll in Society Islands.

2. Depending on the cost of replacing the MPC board, addressing the leaks and possible other things which may fail due to the age and having 1300 hours. And lack of service here in Panama.

I may consider buying a larger water output SM30 Cruise RO Water maker and like the robust, simple design and reliability of not having full automation and components to fail. And keep the spectra as a secondary back up and have it repaired when in a location which will allow me to do a rebuild on it or just sell it. Most likely, I will invest into my Spectra and not happy about a failed MPC board which should have not happened.

My question is do you know anything about this brand. The good and bad. And what do you feel is the best, most reliable water maker on the market?

Thanks,
David
jimmysbliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, water