Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2023, 15:36   #46

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: What training do you need to cruise?

In addition to the above, watch every episode of McGyver to get a feel for how to make do with what you’ve got.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 16:09   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If it going to happen, it gong to happen out there! - Captn Ron

I was reminded of that yesterday when the head sail attachment strap pulled apart and the sail started dropping down in 20+ knot wind. No training helps you with that type of fairly common type of thing. Once you have the sailing and anchoring basis down just go cruising and slowly increase your comfort level for conditions as you go. Reading does help as you at least have a clue as to what to do when things go wrong.

The next training is mechanical and electrical maintenance as cruising is doing boat work in exotic and new places.
After you get a little more experience with sails and sailboats, you will learn next time to get a head board on your jib instead of a strap.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 17:13   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

No sail training required you are probably reasonably proficient having sailed for 1.5yrs.... it ain't rocket surgery but a power squadron navigation and weather course would be a benefit.

It's not the sailing that will mess you up, it's the electrical and mechanicals on a cruising type boat. Do you know how to bleed a diesel, adjust a stuffing box, repair electrical faults (not at all like house wiring) without electrocuting yourself or causing stray current corrosion ?

Seek out marine electrical and diesel engine courses.
Old 15-06-2023, 22:14   #49

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

This comment kinda says it all. Sailing students who failed after first or second try at being an ocean skipper would ask, “what’s happening here?” My reply, was to ask how long they had been sailing, many of them would reply ~ “three years.” Okay, I was doing this for 5 before I started dreaming of skippering a boat on the ocean. I still made dumb mistakes, but they were not bad enough to kill me or anyone else. Everyone goes through the knowing enough to be dangerous phase. That’s where lots of short sailing experiences comes in. Go out, make a few mistakes from which we learn, and go out another day. I would also caution folks from taking the extended cruising classes for a week or more. There is no time to process, learn from experience, etc. I’ve seen this in backpacking too, where someone finishes a long program from which they emerge with the basic knowledge, but no experience to put it into a fun, safe experience for friends and family.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 05:03   #50

It would seem....

Elvis has left the building.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 14:03   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cope View Post
I have been sailing for about a year and a half in the Chesapeake Bay on a 25' McGregor I purchased. My plan is to upgrade to a 35' to 45' boat to live aboard or semi live aboard (in addition to a camper on a seasonal site) in a few years. I have taken a Boat US boating safety course. However, I learned to sail from reading, watching videos, and trial and error. I am pretty comfortable sailing, handling the boat, and basic navigation. I am just curious what training I would need. I don't want to pay for a basic course if I already have those skills. Is there a good place to look at the trainings available and compare what is available with what skills you need? Also, is there a basic that will be required to get insurance, use marinas, or enter other countries/areas?

Brian
Good training for you would be to sail down to the lower Chesapeake Bay where it meets the Atlantic.

This will tell you if you are prone to seasickness.

You could also sail offshore about 16 miles to Chesapeake Light.

The lower Chesapeake Bay isn't like the other 125 miles or so of Bay North of Cape Charles.

Above Cape Charles, you are pretty much in protected waters although it does get about 30 wide just south of Tangier.
Old 16-06-2023, 14:40   #52

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
After you get a little more experience with sails and sailboats, you will learn next time to get a head board on your jib instead of a strap.
Curious how many jibs you've seen with a headboard? The Hood jibs that my boat came with didn't have headboards (but I don't recall the specific construction), and the North jibs that I replaced them with have a nice wedding strap at the top. I realize that both Hood and North are bottom tier sail makers with no experience making quality sails, so that may be why I have been short-changed so badly.

A picture of your jib headboard would be helpful.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 15:18   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Curious how many jibs you've seen with a headboard? The Hood jibs that my boat came with didn't have headboards (but I don't recall the specific construction), and the North jibs that I replaced them with have a nice wedding strap at the top. I realize that both Hood and North are bottom tier sail makers with no experience making quality sails, so that may be why I have been short-changed so badly.

A picture of your jib headboard would be helpful.
I'll try and get a better picture, but I should have said grommet or ring.

Either way, it's better than a single or double strap with a couple inches of length off the sail head.

Photo shows a tight connection to the head of the sail. I'm not sure if you can magnify or not like I can on the original photo

Point is cruising locally you can experience a lot of these failures without retiring.

So maybe 8-10 years ago my jib (the PO's jib) came down when the strap came loose. I just sailed on to my anchorage with the main and left the jib on the foredeck.

Little did I know what a bad night it would be and I had to move at 3 am after waves started to break over the side of the boat.

Anchor rode cleat was under the jib and it was dark so it was quite an ordeal.

I was maybe 30 yards from 1' of depth. I draw 4'

Anyway after moving and anchoring a few miles away, I slept until 8 am.

At that time, I proceeded to get the top furler swivel down by whipping the jib halyard repeatedly. This in 2'-3' waves and wind.

After 45 minutes, I got it down and tied the jib head to it, re-raised it then sailed over to protected waters behind the cement ships at Kiptopeke where I was finally able to make and enjoy some coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445 (2).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	276818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445 (3).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	276822  

Old 16-06-2023, 15:39   #54

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

There is nothing wrong with contacting some of the sailing schools on the bay and talking about your skills and experience to plan an appropriate next step. Probably could challenge out of one or two courses. I found some good small engine classes at the local adult education programs.
And keep expanding your experience on your current boat. Buy your cruising boat a year or so you want to leave in your long trip so you can learn its quirks and how to maintain it. And there are lots of captains on the Chesapeake that could help you improve your knowledge, confidence etc.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 15:55   #55

Yeah I wasn't too big on the sailing schools until I watched the Instructors and students here.

They are on the same fairway as I am so they pass by me on their way out to the bay.

You can see their excitement.

They practice everything even docking and the Instructors usually only use the engine when absolutely necessary

The boats I believe are 22' Catalina Capri's

The school is SailTime.

It isn't cheap though

https://www.norfolksailing.com/cours...ertifications/
Old 16-06-2023, 16:05   #56

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

The RYA system includes a Diesel Engine course.
2 days from memory.
The one I did included pulling the engine apart completely and then reassembling it.
Along with the usual theory, engine checks, etc
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 05:57   #57

Does a marine diesel and marine electrical ONLINE course make sense? I’d like something more structured and in-depth than a few quick YouTube videos and can’t find any courses in my area. It seems like not having access to an engine to apply what you learn and not having an instructor to ask questions is a massive disadvantage. But maybe it’s still worth it to create a good foundation of knowledge, and I have zero to very little knowledge atm.

Oddly enough there are no courses in my popular coastal sailing area of Tampa. you’d need to travel an hour and a half south or inland to Orlando to find a class. If anyone has a dream of starting a marine diesel school, Tampa/ St Pete would be a great place to think about.
BeneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 06:16   #58

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Did you try finding a diesel mechanic’s course at the local community college or Jr college?
Problems you might have at sea, mechanical problems are not likely. Electrical problems are no 1, rigging, running rigging, and sails no 2. Maybe crew problems is way ahead of the former two. If you enjoy learning about it, then go for it.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 06:16   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

If you must self teach ... try these for diesel engines ...
https://www.marinedieselbasics.com/

For electrical call ABYC and ask them. They may know of something.
https://abycinc.org/general/?type=CONTACT
Old 27-06-2023, 06:23   #60

My wife and I took our McGregor 25 down there and sailed for 4 days last year. We launched at Back river, sailed to Hampton, Cape Charles, and Kittopeake. It definitely seemed to be rougher water down there. I didn't mind it for sea sickness, but the 25' trailer sailor was a little small when it got windy.
Brian Cope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, training