Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2023, 16:42   #1

Boat: Oyster 485
Seeking Insights for Research on Sailing Education & Training – Your Experiences Need

Hey fellow sailors,

I'm embarking on a research project aimed at understanding the different learning paths, challenges, and experiences that both novice and seasoned sailors face in their training and education.

With the growing interest in sailing, offshore cruising, and living aboard, I believe there's a real opportunity to help people find the right resources, courses, and community support to make their sailing dreams a reality. This where you come in!

I'd love to hear your stories:

What resources or courses have been most helpful to you?
Did you face any unique challenges in your sailing education?
How do you continue to build your skills, especially if you're considering more long-term cruising?

If you're willing to share more in-depth insights, please feel free to drop me a private message. Your input will help shape a more comprehensive understanding of the sailing education landscape, without any commercial intentions behind it. I'm not trying to sell you anything, I just want to hear directly from your mouth what your challenges have been. Perfectly fine if you haven't done any training at all, I'd still love to hear from you.

And, of course, if you have any questions about sailing, offshore cruising, or even starting a life aboard, I'm more than happy to share my experience and knowledge.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, stories, and wisdom. Together, we can make the path to sailing a little smoother for everyone.

Fair winds,
James

P.S. Just to reiterate, this is purely for research, with no products or services attached. Your opinions and insights are what matter most!
Old 20-08-2023, 18:20   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Seeking Insights for Research on Sailing Education & Training – Your Experiences

No sailing school, no courses, no nothing, just purchased a 44' sailboat in the Caribbean with my ex who had never sailed either. (I was 28)
Long time ago, it worked out great, we moved aboard and learned to sail by trial and error and a bit of luck.

Tags
arc, enc, research, sail, sailing, training