Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2023, 09:41   #46

Re: EU considering banning Philippine crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
It’s kind of funny to when Americans be on a largely American forum are accusing the EU of racism regarding crewing policy for EU vessels.

It take it none of them have ever heard of the Jones Act.

Which makes perfect sense if you live and work in America.
It’s about time the EU restricted its vessels to EU crew. Particularly effects the coastal trade.
Regarding the Jones Act as to the make up of crew for USA coastal trade, the crew must be 75-percent crewed by Americans, who are paid significantly higher than the typical non-American crew.

About 20% of the crew aboard EU flagged vessels are Philippine citizens.

I am not sure that the EU is prepared to provide subsidization to their maritime sector [ship building & crew staffing] for their inter-EU ship trade.

Take Puerto Rico for an example, the cost of transport to the island territory of the USA invokes the equivalent of about a 7.2% tariff / sale taxation of the population, which is about $300 “Individually, families pay $300 more or $107 per person for food and beverages,” said ABC economist Vicente Feliciano.

https://www.grassrootinstitute.org/2...the-jones-act/

Transporting containers from the United States to Puerto Rico costs, on average, 2.5 times, or 151 percent more, than transporting from foreign ports. Specifically, “$3,027 from U.S. ports versus $1,206 from non-U.S. ports … after having made the corresponding adjustments for size of container and distance.” It also makes for very inefficient load outs of the cargo vessels because the vessels return to the USA with only about 20 of the weight, returning empty containers instead of picking up cargo from South America or other Caribbean ports to provide for fuller return loads.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 15:15   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Cruise ship crew here on the Great Lakes is about 90% Filipino. I kayaked out to a vessel when anchored in Lake Michigan and said hello to the crew. French vessel with a port of call in Canada and US. I am not exactly sure how it works in regards to Jones since they make on this trip like 2 stops in Canada and then 5 stops in a row in the USA. I gather no one can board the vessel at the USA stops when then next stop is also USA.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 19:03   #48

Boat: Young 42

I have both hired, and worked under the command of Filipino crew. I've never had a problem.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 23:06   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I prefer them to be pro active and keep the standards up. Just don't understand why it only applies to EU ships. Should also apply to any ship to/from any EU port.
There will not be a ban. Philippines will fix their problem.
Having worked on govt regulations and rules...I've seen enough put into place for other than the stated purpose.

I would prefer they document the problem they are fixing before getting heavy handed. This has all the earmarks of trying to squeeze out the competition in the name of "safety" when there is no documented "safety" issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew