Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 06:38   #1

Using "Ships' Stores" into Canada?

A friend that was recently in BC mentioned he heard that using the Ships' Stores method seemed to work for avoiding the onerous alcohol duties. According to what I read in another thread here, being able to seal the cargo is one of the hoops to navigate, but my friend's friend was a small power boater and the tale only included listing the items - not some sort of security. Besides, since it's OK to consume stores when out of port, the seal seems silly.
I think the story was explained at an anchorage, so asking the originator isn't possible.

Anyone have any experience with this? Especially in Sidney, BC or other PNW entry ports.
jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 08:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Using "Ships' Stores" into Canada?

Food and Beverage Restrictions > Guideline entering Canada | United States:

You are allowed to bring in 24-12 oz. cans or bottles of beer or 40 oz liquor or 1.5 liters of wine - per person, free of duty and taxes.

1 carton (200) of Cigarettes or 50 cigars.

Dairy products - less then 44 lbs.

Meat - less then 44 lbs.

Chicken - less then 22 lbs

Fish - up to 20 kilograms per person

Potatoes & Fruit - most prohibited

Pet food generally ok if from the U.S. (no lamb or goat)

No fresh tropical fruits or vegetables

No corn on the cob, regardless of origin

ARCHIVED - bsf5082: Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 08:49   #3

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Off topic, but BTW,

This past summer no uncooked poultry, even if frozen, or eggs, were allowed into BC. Confiscated at the border. Many travelers were surprised. Bird flu concerns, as I recall.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 08:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg View Post
A friend that was recently in BC mentioned he heard that using the Ships' Stores method seemed to work for avoiding the onerous alcohol duties. According to what I read in another thread here, being able to seal the cargo is one of the hoops to navigate, but my friend's friend was a small power boater and the tale only included listing the items - not some sort of security. Besides, since it's OK to consume stores when out of port, the seal seems silly.
I think the story was explained at an anchorage, so asking the originator isn't possible.

Anyone have any experience with this? Especially in Sidney, BC or other PNW entry ports.
Simply not true. I witnessed a friend try that years ago. He now gets taken apart every time he crosses the border.
Old 26-10-2015, 10:37   #5
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Good information to have
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 10:45   #6

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Bringing booze into BC especially beer is like bringing a ham sandwich to a banquet
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:00   #7

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

What may or may not have worked for a given person on a given day at a given border crossing has little relevance to what will work for you today at the crossing you happen to be at. No matter what the regs and no matter what the internet experts tell you, a lot comes down to what kind of a day the officer on the other side of the transaction is having. If the dog chewed his shoes overnight, his wife yelled at him as he was leaving the house and the car wouldn't start you can pretty much be assured of a bad crossing. Your attitude may influence the quality of your experience but its still pretty much a crap shoot. And good luck explaining that somebody somewhere got treated differently sometime.

Our approach is to expect the worst, minimize the possible irritants (fresh fruit, vegetables and booze in particular) and then go with the flow. We try to cross with an empty fridge and minimal booze. We make a COMPLETE list of produce and booze and when asked if we have anything to declare start reading the list. That almost invariably provokes a resigned question "Do you have any X, Y or Z?" If you think you can outsmart them and only declare what you are required to declare then be prepared to be harassed if they find something undeclared that they think should have been declared. Keep your expectations low and you may occasionally be pleasantly surprised.

I have no doubt that there have been occasions where individuals have brought large amounts of declared booze into Canada on a variety of pretexts. I am equally certain that large amounts of declared booze has made its way to Canada Customs Christmas parties as well.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:16   #8

I don't know about personally but you can commercially place goods into bond, meaning the goods are basically being stored and will not be sold/consumed in Canada and/or stating that you will be responsible for any taxes later and not at the border crossing.
If a trucker hits the border before his paper work he can have his load placed in bond and continue, taxes are paid by the broker later before the bond is lifted on the load.
I don't have a clue if/how this would work for a non commercial application.
I guess you could try to convince them it was all for re export maybe?
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:32   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

It has always been my experience with Canada Customs that they are less concerned about who you are or what your intentions may be than they are in collecting taxes.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:13   #10

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
It has always been my experience with Canada Customs that they are less concerned about who you are or what your intentions may be than they are in collecting taxes.

Truer words have never been spoken, Bloody CRA!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:28   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
Unless you are a Bronfman, then you can move your billion dollar trust fund at will or if you are a Mulroney with $300k in a brown paper bag.

Tags
Canada