Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 06:58   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
American equivalents

Hi all,

I have Danish Yachtskipper Grade 1 certificate. This is equivalent to the British RYA Yachtmaster Ocean. I have tried finding out what the american equivalent is but it is confusing.

Can anyone out there supply a list starting with the first sailing certificate and going on to whatever the American equivalent to Yachtmaster Ocean is?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: American equivalents

In America, the US Coast Guard issues licenses for commercial use, ie carrying paying passengers for hire.

There is no USCG issued license for recreational boaters. Many US states have licensing requirements for recreational boaters, but there is no universal standard.

The USCG licenses go something like this:

OUIPV (operator of uninspected passenger vessel, commonly called a 6 pack as it is limited to 6 passengers)
50 ton master with or without sailing and oceans endorsement
100 ton master .....
And so forth

I suspect the Yachtskipper certificate is a recreational license and there is no US equivalent.

David

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

RYA Yachtmaster Ocean is a 200 ton licence with no limit on the distance offshore i.e unrestricted. This can then be commercially endorsed if you want to take paying passengers (requires first aid certification, SOLAS training, Health check and, soon, a theory paper on duties and responsibilities of a commercial skipper.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 23:56   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Yachtskipper grade 1 is a recreational exam. In Denmark you cannot get a commercial endorsement. You have to get what is known as a Coastal Skipper Certificate (meaning commercial). Which is strange considering that the Yachtmaster Grade 1 is the more difficult examination.

Thanks for the info

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 03-07-2012, 01:09   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The British RYA/MCA is a recreational certification, and a basic Day Skipper enables us to charter yachts in Europe (in those place which require certification).

The RYA Offshore Yachtmaster 'enables' us to take a yacht on an ocean passage. But remember, recreational certs are simply tangible evidence of experience, rather than a commercial qualification.

It seems that the ASA equivalent is ASA108 Offshore Passage making:
Advanced Sail Training Courses - Endorsements from American Sailing Association
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you Saucy,

I've looked at the ASA and agree that it seems to contain a lot of the theoretical knowledge the Yachtskipper 1 has. The Danish version spends a lot of time on meteorology (500 page text), and you are expected to know and be able to give detailed explanations of weather patterns, how cyclones start, hadley cells, ferrel cells, Rossen waves etc etc.

The Danish Maritime Authority equates it to the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean. I was curious as to the American version since I do talk to american sailors on occasion. I guess the easiest way is to just say it is the recreational equivalent of the American 200 Ton unrestricted license.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:38   #7
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Thank you Saucy,
The Danish version spends a lot of time on meteorology (500 page text), and you are expected to know and be able to give detailed explanations of weather patterns, how cyclones start, hadley cells, ferrel cells, Rossen waves etc etc.
See, I thought I was quite good at this stuff, compared to the average Joe Bloggs; but I've highlighted the weather stuff I can explain without using Google. Hm. There are serious gaps.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I've met the woman who wrote the text "Meteorology and Oceanology for Ships Officers". She's very nice, actually very good-looking also, and I hate her guts. I had to learn all that stuff - and I spent a lot of time doing it......The book is very well written but it is a college level text and it is tough. Just to make matters worse - she is not a meteorologist - she just wrote the book because it interests her.

Whatever happened to knitting?

Old 28-12-2022, 05:45   #9

USA Equivalent for recreational to RYA Yachtmaster Ocean is ASA 108. If you add the commercial modules to your Yachtmaster it would approach a USCG 200 Mater oceans. I don't know what all the the Yacht master for hire would cover but the USCG ticket is full on commercial. Meaning Tugs, crew boats, cargo, as well as passengers. It Requires Radar Cert. Firefighting (which is practical hands on ship board and fire field), First aid, Celestial, A rather detailed stability section related to the loading of cargo vessel, STCW, and the requisite experience.
ASA is more in line with the Yachtmaster track. ASA has seven certifications to RYA's 6 to reach that level (because ASA has Celestial as a separate certification). It is focused on hands on training and instructor evaluation and coaching similar to the Yachtmaster. ASA 104 is equivalent to and qualifies the holder for an IPC certificate for the European charter market.
ASA offers a substantial weather training separately.
They actually coordinate with the RYA working to raise and set standards world wide. They recognize that having comparable standards is good for the boating community.
I am an ASA instructor and a USCG 500 Ton Master with an All Oceans Endorsement, Sailing Endorsement, and a Dedicated Duty Engineers License. I support the educational and certification process.
Flcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2022, 06:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean is a 200 ton licence
It's not actually a "license" is it ? I thought it was a "certification".
Old 28-12-2022, 07:27   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Can anyone out there supply a list starting with the first sailing certificate and going on to whatever the American equivalent to Yachtmaster Ocean is?

There isn't one.

In the USA you can sail any boat you want on any waters you want, and as long as you're not operating for hire, you don't need any kind of licensing.

As mentioned upthread, many states nominally require a basic license to operate power vessels, with various broad exemptions that vary by state. Compliance is iffy. There's no progression of licenses based on vessel size or distance offshore, and outside of state waters none of this applies at all and no license is required. The situation is similar in Canada.

There are courses from ASA and others but they are not compulsory, are designed to primarily to be educational rather than to be a credential, and do not have experience requirements. They are as different from the RYA certifications as chalk and cheese.

As for the USCG 6 pack and 25/50/100/200 ton master licenses, they are a quite different path than what the RYA certifications require. They all require the applicant to document significant boating experience, at least 360 days of "deck service." That requirement is a barrier to many but is easily met by individuals who grew up in boating households as long as they have documented their time aboard. This is true even if they were not meaningfully involved in the operation of the vessel. No coursework is required as long as the candidate can pass the exams.
Old 28-12-2022, 19:24   #12

Boat: Sabre 402

Is there a reason for bringing up a 10-year old thread that was answered in the first two responses with essentially the same information that is being repeated now?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote