Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2024, 07:52   #1

Boat: 2006 34' PDQ Powercat
Mounting Starlink antenna

Has anyone installed a Starlink antenna on their Powerboat mast ? If you have done so or are planning to add it (like I am), I would appreciate hearing how and where you plan to mount the flat rectangular antenna. My plan is to figure out a way to easily and temporarily mount the antenna and run the cable outside my mast down to a small locker on the flybridge. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
AMCarter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:21   #2

Re: Mounting Starlink antenna

Does the flat antenna need to be gimbal mounted to mitigate against rolling and heaving of the boat's hull / mast?

If so perhaps using a gimbal mount for a radar might be advantageous.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:27   #3

There are loads of mounts advertised for Starlink antennas:

Images and links reference below.

I would look for ones that are made of marine stainless steel, or high strength polymer so as to avoid corrosion, including SS fasteners.

https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=43&q=starlink+antenna+gimbal+mount&cvi d=ffffadd8c1694381b26914bb4f43cd5f&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJ vbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCTEwMDUwajBqMagCALACAA&FORM=ANNTA 1&PC=HCTS
Old 02-03-2024, 08:31   #4

For quick mounting and release for storage, perhaps something like this clamp style which is intended primarily for RVs where the dish has to be removed to travel.

https://www.savageutv.com/products/starlink-universal-mount?msclkid=a6992139eb531a470e6a44dab9e6a4a7&utm _source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Sm art%20Shopping&utm_term=4581115212834720&utm_conte nt=Ad%20group%20%231
Old 02-03-2024, 09:05   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Does the flat antenna need to be gimbal mounted to mitigate against rolling and heaving of the boat's hull / mast?

If so perhaps using a gimbal mount for a radar might be advantageous.
No gimbal is needed. Just point it close to straight up as it is designed. Starlink sells pipe adapters to mount to a pole or pipe structure.

https://shop.starlink.com/products/u...peadapter-gen3
Old 02-03-2024, 09:43   #6

Boat: IP 44

Get an antenna adaptor with a short pole that will fit into a standard fishing pole holder. Works great. Im sure there is something out there for the gen 3 on Amazon.

For my gen 2 I did this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	287097  
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 13:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
No gimbal is needed. Just point it close to straight up as it is designed. Starlink sells pipe adapters to mount to a pole or pipe structure.

https://shop.starlink.com/products/u...peadapter-gen3
"Straight up" is easy when the boat is in marina or sheltered anchorage, but what happens when it is rocking due to swell and waves when transiting or in an open anchorage / mooring. And while not of an issue for the OP with his motorized vessel, what happens when the boat is sail powered and heeled over when reaching? Does the antenna need to be able to retain its approximate "straight up" orientation to track the satellites?

Does rough seas make for rough connectivity?

By way of example of leveling of radar:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveling radar.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	287108  
Old 02-03-2024, 14:26   #8

This is great information and suggestions. Many thanks to all. It’s obvious this is a topic of interest.
AMCarter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 14:41   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380

We have never had a problem with connectivity in rough sea states with a fixed mount and the dish leveled flat.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 16:05   #10

Quote:
"Straight up" is easy when the boat is in marina or sheltered anchorage, but what happens when it is rocking due to swell and waves when transiting or in an open anchorage / mooring. And while not of an issue for the OP with his motorized vessel, what happens when the boat is sail powered and heeled over when reaching? Does the antenna need to be able to retain its approximate "straight up" orientation to track the satellites?

Does rough seas make for rough connectivity?

By way of example of leveling of radar:
People report generally good service in strong seas. But to expect intermittent disruptions of a few seconds. I haven't used mine in strong seas because the last thing I want to be doing in those conditions if watching a screen. But movement that is on a tolerable level has never affected the reception on my unit.

The phased array antenna doesn't need to move and point, as long as its in a specified cone. I can't remember the exact specs, but I believe Starlink can receive within a 100 deg cone. There are now enough SL satellites in orbit (5000+) that an antenna is always in view of one. Thats why the new models dont have to have the complication of a motorised gimbal. The phased array is actually hundreds (dozens?) mini antennas that can "point" by using wave interference to "steer" its outbound beam. It's brilliant. The tech has been around for awhile. Works good, hopefully lasts a long time.
Old 02-03-2024, 16:58   #11

Boat: Morgan 382

As CrispyCringle says, the "dish" is really a flat panel array of dozens of antennas, and by electrically phasing them they can steer and look through about 100 degrees. Because this is done electronically, it is faster than a mechanical gimble.

It is also possible for the antenna to have multiple beams looking at different directions. So, one beam can point to a new satellite to acquire a lock while the first is still working a satellite before that satellite moves out of view.

The larger "in motion" or "high performance" antennas have more antennas in the array and can steer through a larger angle and have more beams. So in the very worst conditions when a 100 degree cone might cause a dropout of a few seconds, the larger dishes can hold the connection.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
People report generally good service in strong seas. But to expect intermittent disruptions of a few seconds. I haven't used mine in strong seas because the last thing I want to be doing in those conditions if watching a screen. But movement that is on a tolerable level has never affected the reception on my unit.

The phased array antenna doesn't need to move and point, as long as its in a specified cone. I can't remember the exact specs, but I believe Starlink can receive within a 100 deg cone. There are now enough SL satellites in orbit (5000+) that an antenna is always in view of one. Thats why the new models dont have to have the complication of a motorised gimbal. The phased array is actually hundreds (dozens?) mini antennas that can "point" by using wave interference to "steer" its outbound beam. It's brilliant. The tech has been around for awhile. Works good, hopefully lasts a long time.

I have seen several Starlink antennas which all seem to be pointed at an angle not straight up which must be for realizing an enhanced cone direction.

A boat that is traveling and changing direction, or moving at anchor would seem to desire to be pointed directly up so as to not have a bias of the direction of the cone.

That certainly eases the mounting configuration. Perhaps when the boat is stationary at dock one could integrate a tilt to the cone.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:22   #13

Quote:

I have seen several Starlink antennas which all seem to be pointed at an angle not straight up which must be for realizing an enhanced cone direction.

A boat that is traveling and changing direction, or moving at anchor would seem to desire to be pointed directly up so as to not have a bias of the direction of the cone.

That certainly eases the mounting configuration. Perhaps when the boat is stationary at dock one could integrate a tilt to the cone.
I’m in SoCal and your right, the gen 2’s in the harbor all tend to be parked at an angle. In my area they all slew to the WNW. I may be wrong, but I think that is because SL is trying to use satellites off shore to have better bandwidth than the satellites directly overhead near the congestion of populated areas. It just does its thing and I don’t think about it much. Even swinging on a hook it doesn’t move all that much.
Old 04-03-2024, 14:02   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

They are aimed away from the equator for a few reasons, 1.) in order to avoid transmitting directly at geostationary satellites that orbit over the equator, and 2.) because the satellite constellation orbit coalesces about 50d N or S latitude and as a result there is higher density of satellites there.

They look NW, N, and NE depending on where you are to distribute some of the connections but in part to connect to new satellites that move into view earlier in their passage overhead.

For moving vessels/vehicles, the antennas generally should be mounted flat, no motors/alignment mechanisms, and with a slight angle to shed water as water will block/reduce the signal.

Quote:
I’m in SoCal and your right, the gen 2’s in the harbor all tend to be parked at an angle. In my area they all slew to the WNW. I may be wrong, but I think that is because SL is trying to use satellites off shore to have better bandwidth than the satellites directly overhead near the congestion of populated areas. It just does its thing and I don’t think about it much. Even swinging on a hook it doesn’t move all that much.
Old 04-03-2024, 22:45   #15

Quote:
Get an antenna adaptor with a short pole that will fit into a standard fishing pole holder. Works great. Im sure there is something out there for the gen 3 on Amazon.
For my gen 2 I did this

Question... Do you leave the antenna mounted all the time or sometimes remove while underway?

Tags
antenna