Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2024, 15:54   #1

Mexico cruisers

Has anyone recently taken on fuel at Magdelina Bay (Puerto San Carlos). I understand that you have to check in with the port captain, eduana and immigration, and that large shrimpers regularily take on fuel at the dock. However, my problem may be the size of the fill hole on my boat, which is much smaller than fuel intakes for commercial fishing boats. A Baja Filter might work, but I'm afraid it could be a nightmare. Maybe a very large funnel? Any recent experience or different ideas?
ImagineMeandYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2024, 17:32   #2

Re: Mexico cruisers

I took on fuel at Puerto San Carlos around Christmas 2023 but I used jerry cans/jugs brought in from the Pemex station inland. I didn't inform the port captain of my presence. Didn't know I had to. Do you not have cell service? Just call and ask if they have smaller hoses for smaller boats. I'm sure a funnel will work if they don't have smaller nozzles but it will be slow. I found everyone in that city to be very kind and patient though so I think you'll be fine. Worst case scenario you might need to borrow some of the larger jugs people there tend to have for hauling fuel around.

If you don't have a phone or regular internet access you can always just anchor by the channel marker near Hotel Mar y Arena and take your dinghy in to make arrangements to get fuel. The people at the hotel will likely know someone who can help. Decent groceries too by Baja standards.
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 05:11   #3

Re: Mexico cruisers

I've anchored at Santa Maria twice, but I've never gone into Mag Bay proper. When you were there did you notice the fuel dock? If so, is it on a pier or is it a floating dock? One more question: how far inland is the local Pemex station?
I really appreicate your response and experience. If you have time, I'd love to hear more about the area. Thanks so much.
ImagineMeandYou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, Mexico