Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2024, 15:58   #1

Boat: Mainship pilot 34
anyone have experience shipping overland

Has anyone here ever used a shipping company to move their boat from A to B?

I'm considering shipping ours (35ft, beam 11') with a yacht relocation company, but I know no one who has done this before.

would take advice on reputable companies, things to avoid etc etc

thanks
sausage_patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 08:41   #2

Re: anyone have experience shipping overland

There are several companies that will preform that service. I'd check the net for more specific info. I recently looked into having a company transport a 30 foot powerboat (10 foot beam) from Ensenada, Mexico to San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. I distance of about 350 miles. One established Mexican company located in Guadalajara, Mexico, quoted me a price of $12,000 US dollars. I contacted our local boat yard in San Carlos, Mexico, and they gave me a price of $5200. so you may want to contact boat yards in your area for a quote. The Guadalajara company specilized in transporting boats across borders, so that may not be an issue for you.

Good luck
ImagineMeandYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 09:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage_patty View Post
Has anyone here ever used a shipping company to move their boat from A to B?

I'm considering shipping ours (35ft, beam 11') with a yacht relocation company, but I know no one who has done this before.

would take advice on reputable companies, things to avoid etc etc

thanks
-I had it done years ago, twice. Both times there was some damage. Both times it involved the mast on supports alongside the hull. Once part of the mast rubbed a hole in the hull side. The next time a hole ended up worn through the mast it self. So remove absolutely everything you can and have plenty of carpet to wrap around the mast at the supports. Make it thick and secure it well on there.

-You might ask yacht sales local to you who has done good work for them.

-One way to save some money, although I think it's less savings than it used to be, is if you are willing to wait for a "haul back". Meaning the trucker has delivered a boat to your area and needs to drive back anyway so may discount hauling your boat.

-Boat hauling much distance has become too expensive to be very practical anymore I think.

-Be prepared to spend significant time prepping and reassembling the boat. Always be there while the boat is loaded and unloaded, don't just leave it to someone else.

-support all the rigging wire etc on something like the V berth mattress in a way it wont come off. Coil it and secure with multiple tywraps or etc. The boom can be a problem, either inside or on deck. Entirely wrap it in carpet or etc if on deck. It may have fittings which will rub right through a couple layers of carpet if not thought through.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:47   #4

Here's a link to a boat hauler with a reputation as the best in the business. They hauled my 48 foot Chris Craft a few years ago. https://www.crosscountryboat.com/home-1
sealandsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, shipping