Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2008, 08:46   #1

Mounting a GPS antenna

I am in the process of adding a second GPS antenna on my boat. I had decided to add it next to the factory-installed antenna. Since I had not done something like this before, I read up on the process of removing core material, filling with epoxy, etc. I got all of the appropriate material and I set out to do the work. When I got access to the underside of the deck, I was surprised to see that core material was clearly visible in the holes that were drilled for the factory install. They had not gone to the effort to seal with epoxy.

Is this a deficiency that should be corrected, or is it overkill to use this method for a hole of this small diameter (~1/2 inch)??

Thanks,
Pete
cruiser_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 08:52   #2
cruiser

Pete, definitely make sure the core is not exposed. This is the best thing you can do to preserve the resale value (and structural integrity) of your boat, but something people often neglect.

Scrape out some of the core from the hole with a nail or screw or something, then fill up with epoxy.

Be religious about this, and your boat will stay strong and moisture free forever.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:01   #3

Thanks for the quick reply!
I guess the obvious question is are there any other places where the factory did not do the right thing? My guess is that the GPS was installed after the actual construction of the boat, and as such, the quality of the work may not reflect the complete build process, but I wonder if the holes in the deck for hatches, winches, etc all have the same issue.

My guess is that I am probably ok. While I won't mention the builder by name, the boat is from one of the reasonably reputable 'production' builders and is only a few years old. If their build process was really flawed, it would be widely known.

pete
cruiser_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:28   #4
cruiser

Pete,

Based on experience with other boats, I'd venture to guess you're right. The GPS would have probably been added by a subcontractor at some point, and not the techs that actually built your hull.

You could always pull a winch or other deck hardware and check to put the issue out of your mind.
Old 20-02-2008, 09:34   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I'm kinda wondering if this may be an issue for all boats with foam cores. Do manufacturers typically mount hardware so as to maintain the watertight integrity of the core? I can imagine how easy it would be to get away with not doing this and the subsequent savings in production costs.

Gideon, do you know?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:39   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I'm kinda wondering if this may be an issue for all boats with foam cores. Do manufacturers typically mount hardware so as to maintain the watertight integrity if the core?

Gideon..do you know?
David,

This varies tremendously from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from hull to hull within a given manufacturer, depending on if the workers were hung over or something.

It is also not limited to foam cores, but also afffects balsa cores.

It's something you must address with each example of a hull you look at to purchase.

It's not really a "Gideon" question, unless you are talking only about FastCats.
Old 20-02-2008, 10:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post

It's not really a "Gideon" question, unless you are talking only about FastCats.
I realize that. I wanted his opinion because he is directly involved in the process of manufacturing foam core boats. I was wondering if there is an industry standard such as a CE standard or an ABYC standard and Gideon would know the industry standards if there was one.

Thanks for your info about it Sullivan. It appears that there is no standard and therefore laissez faire when it comes to this issue.

This will be one more item I add to my checklist before purchasing a catamaran.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna