Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2024, 00:57   #16

Re: Mounting Starlink antenna

I had my SL antenna mounted in an Edson fishing pole holder. It snapped off the single bolt which tightens the "pole holding" part of the mount to the part that clamps onto the 1" tubing (such as a stern rail). I swapped to the other fishing pole mount I had on board, and nearly had the same issue, caught the bolt partway done cracking before replacing it. These were old, crevice corroded stainless bolts.
Be careful with your mounts if you see high winds, replace the bolts, and not a bad idea to take the antenna down in the really heavy stuff.
As for reception- it's fine in high seas once connected, but getting connected can be tough, taking up to 30 minutes at times. I have not disabled the inner motors, but that's on a to do list.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:12   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380

We had a stainless mount made to hang ours off the solar arch. It has seen winds over 60 knots on anchor and 50 knots underway and we never stopped using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	287281  
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 11:28   #18

Boat: 2006 34' PDQ Powercat

I want to get more concrete about my question. The responses here have been very helpful. After doing considerable searching online, it appears that Starlink "Standard Actuated" units are no longer offered to customers in the U.S. and Australia. The only Roaming unit you can buy now on their website is the flatter Gen 3 "Standard" antenna and Gen 3 Router. See the NOTE at: <https://support.starlink.com/?topic=07e361fd-0df7-50ed-0287-642e86b4eb17>

What I'm trying to learn more about now is how to mount the new Gen 3 "Standard" flat antenna on a pole (on a boat) AND how well it performs in Roaming mode. Apparently SL is selling a "Pole" adapter to replace the small kickstand that comes with the antenna. Is it necessary to manually aim the antenna? And is that possible when it is mounted on a pole? Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2024, 13:08   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

The Starlink Pole adapter for Gen3 Non-Actuated is poorly designed with little support around the pole onto which you would mount it. There are 3rd party designs that will work much better, plus a new mounting option that Seaview is working on that would be very secure to mount it flat.

The Non-Actuated works fine roaming, with the advantage that you don't have motors to disable. The High Performance Flat antenna is still technically superior but all 3 antennas (Std actuated, Std non-actuated, and HP Flat) will "work".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCarter3 View Post
I want to get more concrete about my question. The responses here have been very helpful. After doing considerable searching online, it appears that Starlink "Standard Actuated" units are no longer offered to customers in the U.S. and Australia. The only Roaming unit you can buy now on their website is the flatter Gen 3 "Standard" antenna and Gen 3 Router. See the NOTE at: <https://support.starlink.com/?topic=07e361fd-0df7-50ed-0287-642e86b4eb17>

What I'm trying to learn more about now is how to mount the new Gen 3 "Standard" flat antenna on a pole (on a boat) AND how well it performs in Roaming mode. Apparently SL is selling a "Pole" adapter to replace the small kickstand that comes with the antenna. Is it necessary to manually aim the antenna? And is that possible when it is mounted on a pole? Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2024, 21:31   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tanna 47

Trio Flatmount sells a solid looking pole mount for Gen 3 as well as a DC power connector. Haven’t used either yet but both are on my shopping list
https://www.trioflatmount.com/shop
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 06:28   #21

Check out Mike.s@seatronics.com ((754) 220-6565)
They creat a new weather proof enclosure with AMP. connectors. Bulletproof
I have used it for years.
They also repair electronics screens, components etc
First class operation.
Yachtbrokerage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 05:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCarter3 View Post
Has anyone installed a Starlink antenna on their Powerboat mast ? If you have done so or are planning to add it (like I am), I would appreciate hearing how and where you plan to mount the flat rectangular antenna. My plan is to figure out a way to easily and temporarily mount the antenna and run the cable outside my mast down to a small locker on the flybridge. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi - I'm currently in the process of installing a Star Link system with the antenna mounted on a new mast with a Star Link adapter. The only thing odd thus far is the Star Link "wedge" is painted battleship gray, so repainting with white Awl-Grip to match everything else.
sealandsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:16   #23

Boat: Oyster 435

Hey everyone.
Just wanted to post my experience with Starlink Gen 2 in the Southern Pacific ocean off the coast of Chile. For reference we are a 43 ft monohull.
I have disabled the motor and have it mounted flat as low as possible on the stern rail.
Once connected the system works fine in short period 2.5 m seas. Outages are surprisingly few, the problem is we don't have the power to leave the system running 24hrs a day. On start up, connecting seems to depend on if you can get a long enough period of time with a less than 25 deg roll and pitch for the system to sort out where it is and receive it's first burst transmission. This period of time is measured in 10's of seconds if not minutes, not just seconds.

We have waited up to 6 hours to secure a connection. It seems to auto power cycle about every 30 minutes while trying to connect. One thing we have not tried is heaving too in order to reduce movement. The reality was that no one on board cared about looking at a screen in those conditions anyway.

On our first boat we had a backstay mounted scan strut radar gimble. I may consider one for the starlink dish as I expect it would stabilize things enough to enable the on/off approach to internet we take while offshore.

In all anchorages no matter what the conditions we have had zero problems.
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:41   #24

Quote:
We have waited up to 6 hours to secure a connection. It seems to auto power cycle about every 30 minutes while trying to connect. One thing we have not tried is heaving too in order to reduce movement. The reality was that no one on board cared about looking at a screen in those conditions anyway.
Same same. I didn't find disabling the motors to make any difference in this regard. I finally did it and was disappointed with the results.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealandsky View Post
Hi - I'm currently in the process of installing a Star Link system with the antenna mounted on a new mast with a Star Link adapter. The only thing odd thus far is the Star Link "wedge" is painted battleship gray, so repainting with white Awl-Grip to match everything else.
This is my new mast showing Starlink wedge antenna mount - ready to receive the flat hi-perf SL antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240327_144113.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	288437  
sealandsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna