Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2020, 13:37   #1

Fuel tanks

Morning all newly joined as a sailor to power boating. Recently purchased fountaine pajot powercat in Darwin and motored to Hervey Bay.discovered one fuel tank slowly leaking , big problem. Made of aluminium and not removable without major surgery. Any thoughts, help very much appreciated cheers
Pieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 14:06   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Fuel tanks

If there's an access port or you can cut one in, there are many tank coatings that will stop leaks and protect the tank from corrosion. It might be possible to drain the tank, clean any fuel residue off the bottom and coat the outside, but that's only a temporary solution. Some people fiberglass the entire tank.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 15:12   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If there's an access port or you can cut one in, there are many tank coatings that will stop leaks and protect the tank from corrosion. It might be possible to drain the tank, clean any fuel residue off the bottom and coat the outside, but that's only a temporary solution. Some people fiberglass the entire tank.
This
I would look to the aviation industry and find what coatings are used there.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 17:54   #4

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Are you positive it’s the tank that is leaking? Fittings and/or hoses are usually far more likely to be the source of leaks. Check and eliminate the possibility of these leaking first before tackling the tank.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 21:30   #5

Thanks for the prompt replies. All tank fittings are thru the top and do not leak as far as can ascertain. Now have four access holes in top of tank . Am looking into coatings but having some difficulty with information as to what precisely they do .has anyone had experience with these . I am loathe to start cutting tanks up apart from the expense it appears a difficult and dangerous job
Pieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 22:00   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

How about a fuel bladder in the tank?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 22:03   #7

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Probably pin hole leaks in the base of the tank or at a weld. This happens when tanks are left for long periods and condensation forms and puddles in base, then the anaerobic algae gets into it and you get a black mess and corroded bottoms. Epoxy glass coatings on the outside will work for a while, but fiberglass and aluminum expand at different rates and the repair may split. Because they are diesel tanks once emptied they are not as explosive as gasoline. You could fill with water and drain again. One solution may be to cut the lid off and insert a fuel bladder, these come in all grades, shapes and sizes, it might carry slightly less fuel but should last a long time, probably longer than alloy. My two bobs worth.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 21:15   #8

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

This sealant works with diesel. You need to get all the diesel out and clean the tank well with a strong soap solution. Maybe more than once.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...ts/al13063.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank sealant.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	211575  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:08   #9

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Aluminum tanks have a lifespan, you can google how long they last but the short answer is, not as long as you think. So for some, they will seem to go on forever, others will be cursing at them much sooner than they thought they would. If you are keeping the boat for the long haul, then replace them, if only for a short time, then repair them or it.

I have a gas engine and the tanks in my boat were 50 years old. I googled how long aluminum tanks should last and as you can guess, it was well before 50 years. So I decided to have them removed by my refit guy. He was being nice and told me not to replace them to save money. I prevailed as I knew they would have to come out sooner than later. The tanks appeared to have no problems. Once out we discovered, over time, a very slow almost microscopic leak. The one tank had 50 gallons of gas in it and when it was removed, stored in the refit yard. A year latter the tank was empty still sitting in the yard.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:23   #10

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

”The one tank had 50 gallons of gas in it and when it was removed, stored in the refit yard. A year latter the tank was empty still sitting in the yard.”

There could also be another explanation for the disappearence of the fuel. 50 gallons of fuel has a certain value.
sailormed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:55   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

For diesel, I vote for cleaning and then coating the inside with flexible goo. For gasoline, replace it. The clean and goo is time consuming but not expensive. Replacing is time consuming and very expensive. If you try and fail, you have some diesel in the bottom of your boat. It smells bad. If you try and fail with gasoline, it smells bad and is explosive.
Old 01-04-2020, 13:38   #12

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Disappearing fuel could have been stolen, but not where the tank was. We found a very small leak in one of the corners, a common area for leaks in aluminum tanks. I replaced mine with poly tanks, it gave me the opportunity to extend my cruising range as I increased the size of the tanks, 80 gallons versus 50 gallons (times 2).
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 14:23   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

depends on your definition of major surgery. I personally would not be satisfied with trying to patch an aluminum tank in place.

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, tanks