Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 10:52   #1

Boat: TBD
Changed our mind, new questions

Hello all, first post on this sub forum and a quick ?
Recently our circumstances have changed and we are now looking for a motor yacht instead of a sailing cat.
Leaning towards the Horizon Elegance line 60' to 70', or possibly the Fairlane Squadrons same range in lengths. Who would we hire to not only train us (me and the Wolf) in the use of but also certify us for insurance purposes on this type of yacht. Most likely will be purchasing overseas as not too many Elegances local (U.S.). Anyone with experience with licensed individuals or companies who provide this type of service and travel wherever needed.
Thank you in advance for your time.
Corey
S.S.Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:17   #2

Re: Changed our mind, new questions

Talk to local relocation captains.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:25   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Minnow View Post
Leaning towards the Horizon Elegance line 60' to 70', or possibly the Fairlane Squadrons same range in lengths.

Who would we hire to not only train us (me and the Wolf) in the use of but also certify us for insurance purposes on this type of yacht.
Boat companies (who build in that range) may offer that service. Your insurance company may have a list of approved Captains.

You might find trawlerforum.com (sister site) useful.

-Chris
Old 04-04-2023, 05:26   #4

Quote:
Leaning towards the Horizon Elegance line 60' to 70', or possibly the Fairlane Squadrons same range in lengths.

Who would we hire to not only train us (me and the Wolf) in the use of but also certify us for insurance purposes on this type of yacht.
Boat companies (who build in that range) may offer that service. Your insurance company may have a list of approved Captains.

You might find trawlerforum.com (sister site) useful. In that size range, you also may get useful insight from yachtforums.com

-Chris
Old 04-04-2023, 06:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Hello all, first post on this sub forum and a quick ?
Recently our circumstances have changed and we are now looking for a motor yacht instead of a sailing cat.
Leaning towards the Horizon Elegance line 60' to 70', or possibly the Fairlane Squadrons same range in lengths. Who would we hire to not only train us (me and the Wolf) in the use of but also certify us for insurance purposes on this type of yacht. Most likely will be purchasing overseas as not too many Elegances local (U.S.). Anyone with experience with licensed individuals or companies who provide this type of service and travel wherever needed.
Corey
Corey,

I have a 100T license and fairly solid delivery CV. I have moved large sailboats and power boats larger than yours. So I speak from hands-on experience.

Let start with anyone with some basics. The insurance company just wants a sign-off from a guy/gal with a license. So don't bank on them for a list. Also, don't assume because the insurance company adds them to your policy, they are automatically competent. YOU need to screen who you hire.

Training will depend on a few things- your ability to operate large equipment, docking a 60' will test your ability to efficiently allocate the crew, and the boat's technology.

Each of those factors would take a page to fully explain. But following are the highlights-

Operating Large Equipment: people who drive large trucks, operated heavy equipment or dock large vessels know how to "think ahead". For example, when docking a large vessel they know to engage reverse on the port engine before it is fully needed and disengage it just in time. It is a feeling that you get from repetition, those who operated large trucks or heavy equipment already have the touch. It takes a fair amount of practice to develop it. That practice also gives you the confidence to add RPMs when just putting it into gear is not turning the boat.

Allocating Crew: every docking is slightly different. You and the deckhand have to be on the same page. YOU have to communicate your plan to the deckie, and they have to either understand it or vocalize a concern. If their concern is valid, you have to have the wherewithall to amend your plan. While GOOD headsets help, it takes training and controlled testosterone to be effective.

Technology: the new joystick boats make docking easier, versus twins and thrusters. But they present new challenges.

Whew! All that said, there are some formal training classes that will help. But hiring a GOOD delivery captain that you feel comfortable with is the key.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:08   #6

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I think in my opinion that docking practice is underrated
Practice
Practice
Practice
Old 04-04-2023, 20:07   #7

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I think in my opinion that docking practice is underrated
Practice
Practice
Practice

With a new (to me) boat, I find it useful to go out on a quiet day and find a buoy in an isolated area.

I then spend some time manoeuvring around the buoy in forward and reverse, from all sorts of angles and bringing different parts of the boat within touching distance (with a boat hook) of the buoy.

Really gives you a good feel for the low-speed characteristics of the boat.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:39   #8

Thank you so much for your impute.
I have had a lifetime of operating heavy equipment so I understand the feathering touch. Looking at a 2000 70' Elegance next week. I wonder for two if this is too much boat. The owning couple indicate they have had no issues over last 7 years. Although a few interesting stories.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:03   #9

Well, we joined the sister site Trawler Forum days ago but account activation seems to be on Jamaican time.
I have another question, in setting a time to view with the broker I asked to see vessel after it was unwrapped and have it surveyed, before it was put into the water. It is located on the Mississippi at a marina in Stillwater Mn. His reply I found rather odd. He indicated the boat is in the water and has not been out of the water for years. It would be unwrapped 4/22. And there is no where to take this 70' Horizon out for 7 days sail from it's home location?
Two questions now,
1) Are fiberglass 70' boats generally left in the water to freeze in over the winter? -20 Fahrenheit happens every winter in this area. The river does not freeze but all marinas do.
2) How can there be on the Mississippi river no place to take this out for seven days sail from Stillwater MN/Hudson WI. Broker indicted the current owner has owned for 7 years. Does not the Mississippi turn into the St. Croix (yes) and is this river not navigable all the way to lake Superior (I think it is) which certainly is not 7 days sail.
Corey
Old 09-04-2023, 04:31   #10

Quote:
He indicated the boat is in the water and has not been out of the water for years. It would be unwrapped 4/22. And there is no where to take this 70' Horizon out for 7 days sail from it's home location?
Two questions now,
1) Are fiberglass 70' boats generally left in the water to freeze in over the winter? -20 Fahrenheit happens every winter in this area. The river does not freeze but all marinas do.
2) How can there be on the Mississippi river no place to take this out for seven days sail from Stillwater MN/Hudson WI.

Maybe there's no place around there with a large enough Travel Lift.

It's not uncommon to leave fiberglass boats in the water year round. OTOH, that's more generally in areas where temps aren't so vicious. OTOOH, folks (or marinas) can deploy de-icers and/or bubblers to keep the freeze off the hull a bit... so maybe that's what's been done for that boat.

What's the purpose behind your questions about 7 day cruises?

Quote:
Looking at a 2000 70' Elegance next week. I wonder for two if this is too much boat. The owning couple indicate they have had no issues over last 7 years. Although a few interesting stories.
What is an Elegance? I see some Horizon Elegance models on yachtworld, none in the US.

For a couple only, much depends on layout; length by itself isn't usually the major determinant.

-Chris
Old 09-04-2023, 08:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Maybe there's no place around there with a large enough Travel Lift.
It's not uncommon to leave fiberglass boats in the water year round. OTOH, that's more generally in areas where temps aren't so vicious. OTOOH, folks (or marinas) can deploy de-icers and/or bubblers to keep the freeze off the hull a bit... so maybe that's what's been done for that boat.
What's the purpose behind your questions about 7 day cruises?
What is an Elegance? I see some Horizon Elegance models on yachtworld, none in the US.
For a couple only, much depends on layout; length by itself isn't usually the major determinant.

-Chris
Thanks Chris for your input to my inquiries.

I have asked what steps were taken to insure the hull was ice free the last 6 years. Waiting for a reply.

If Lake Superior is the closest with a travel lift large enough I would think that's only 2 days away not 7 days by water. If this boat has been in the water for 6 years I would think it's time for it to come out. Also nervous about buying a vessel with a 6' draft that has spent a thousand hours on the Mississippi river without looking at the bottom side before purchasing.

There are actually 2 Horizon Elegances stateside for sale. This one in MN and I believe it is a 65' in FL. I'm not interested in any boat from FL and that one seems somewhat under powered. The rest for sale are indeed overseas and I expect that is where we will pick ours up in the end. But to have A Horizon 60 miles from me is a must see as we really like what we see in that brand of yacht. I am a big wood guy and some/most of these are chock full of burlwood. Including this one in MN.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:57   #12

Quote:
There are actually 2 Horizon Elegances stateside for sale. This one in MN and I believe it is a 65' in FL. I'm not interested in any boat from FL and that one seems somewhat under powered. The rest for sale are indeed overseas and I expect that is where we will pick ours up in the end. But to have A Horizon 60 miles from me is a must see as we really like what we see in that brand of yacht. I am a big wood guy and some/most of these are chock full of burlwood. Including this one in MN.

I see 'em now. MN on Boattrader... and I usually forget to look there...

FWIW, unless your intention is to always use the boat outside the US, you'll want to look at AC electric stuff in those built for non-US markets... given that the rest of the world uses different voltage and clock speeds than our typical 250V or 125V 60 Hz AC power. Not insurmountable, but you'll want to know what you'll have to deal with...

-Chris
Old 10-04-2023, 07:20   #13

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Corey after delivery, depending on your previous on the water experience, you may want to consider a relationship with a part time/full time captain at least until you come up to speed. Many competent/experienced young men and women out there. Need to be checked out thoroughly.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 17:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
I see 'em now. MN on Boattrader... and I usually forget to look there...

FWIW, unless your intention is to always use the boat outside the US, you'll want to look at AC electric stuff in those built for non-US markets... given that the rest of the world uses different voltage and clock speeds than our typical 250V or 125V 60 Hz AC power. Not insurmountable, but you'll want to know what you'll have to deal with...

-Chris
My intention is Mississippi to the Caribbean and back each year. Winters South summers back home here in Wisconsin. So your voltage point is well taken.
Old 11-04-2023, 17:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Corey after delivery, depending on your previous on the water experience, you may want to consider a relationship with a part time/full time captain at least until you come up to speed. Many competent/experienced young men and women out there. Need to be checked out thoroughly.
Full time captain is an absolute must. One that can sign off for insurance purposes. I am very familiar with twin outboards but fixed props is a new frontier for me. Then the Mississippi adds a wrinkle or two for the learning curve. Other than being over priced this boat is exactly what we were looking for and is way too convenient as I am only 60 miles away. And mooring is already secured. Just not happy with it not being out of water for 7 years and we are unable to take it out for a survey prior to purchase. I mean what could possibly go wrong.....
Then we have if we have a major issue down the road help is 7 days away... and we have to sail the issue there?? things that make you go hmmmm. Can't wait to see it.