Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 13:15   #1

I changed my mind

Am I crazy or what?

I have for 32 years painted the bottom of Shiva. About 10 years ago I soda blasted 20 something years of accumulated paint. I believe it weight as "dust" close to 1,000 pounds. I applied barrier coat and began the painting thing again.

I am using Petit Trinidad. Try to limit the application to a single coat. The paint is not effective in LI sound / Southern New England. Boat is moored in Northport from April/May through November and winter stored in water.

What I have to do is have a diver clean the bottom at least every month to 6 weeks.

So tell me why I am spending a fortune in painting if I have to spend another $700 on divers?

This year I was about to repeat my previous practice and paint the bottom. Paint and supplies here and waiting for weather to get the boat hauled and blocked.

I changed my mind.... I am not going to a short haul, power wash, scrap off any barnacles etc... polish the prop (sanding) apply some spray on zinc to the prop, replace the zinc and splash the boat.

I'll have more frequent dives... and go with last years paint.

Am I crazy?

What say you?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 13:32   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: I changed my mind

Sandero, I sympathize. I've used Pettit Trinidad for many years and also have a diver clean the hull and prop and change zincs as needed.

Many years ago I had a boat in New Haven, CT. Trinidad worked well there with occasional diving. The paint lasted three years wet stored in winter.

Now in Southern California with year round sailing I'm still using Pettit Trinidad. I haul and paint every three years. I use two coats of paint and three at the waterline and leading edge of the rudder. My diver cleans it monthly. I could probably go 6-8 weeks between cleanings in the winter but I don't. He's and independent and his family has to eat in the winter too.

I sure wish there was a magic paint that lasted well and didn't need cleaning too, but if there is one I haven't heard of it.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 13:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We don't have PT this side of the pond, but there is no way you would get away with a single coat of any of the antifoul paints. 2 coats minimum and preferably three or four if you want multiple years without painting in between. We don't have divers but can do lift and scrub or dry out on a scrubbing grid for a mid season scrub.

This is us 12 months with 2 good coats on the hull and three on the waterline front of keels etc.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0008.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	143654  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 13:51   #4

I usually have no barnacles.... and have multiple layers.. but Trinidad is a hard... not a ablative paint. I suppose the anti fouling component is intended to slowly "leach" to the surface and keep the fouling away.

Last year I had a mini shrimp farm inside my speedo... which required frequent cleaning... If the boat fouls more frequently and the diving doesn't keep up... I can do a short haul and slap a coat of paint on...

I'll monitor the bottom and report back.
Old 21-03-2017, 14:01   #5

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
.. a mini shrimp farm inside my speedo...
I hear there are medications available for such things!

It's amazing how different similar paints behave in different waters, salinities and eco-systems. I've had 3 coats of Trinidad Pro on the bottom now. The bottom has been scrubbed 3 times in three years with minimal growth found each time (mostly slime that needed wiping off), except for the obligatory beard on the bottom of the keel - which was painted and splashed with wet paint as she was lifted off the blocks.

I bet that if we relocated to the NE, we'd find that the stellar performance found in Seabrook, TX would rapidly decline...
Old 21-03-2017, 14:15   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Last time across, our boat had one year old antifouling paint on her. I decided that was 'good enough' and rather than repaint just cleaned her by hand. That was a grave mistake. Before we came to Martinique the boat was slower by at least half a knot, I guess more. Then I had to clean her about every month or so to just keep on moving.

Apparently, the paint is not required at all. Alas, if your bottom is bigger than ours ... I would definitely paint. An hour under water is only fun when it is done for fun ...

Sure thing, if not sailing, you don't have to repaint either.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 14:32   #7

even when I do annual bottom paint I need to have a done every 6 weeks...This experiment is to see if I put the money into diving... rather than haul, block and paint... if I can achieve similar results.

No way can I do a season up here without diving.... with shiny new paint.
Old 21-03-2017, 14:59   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Right on the can of Trinidad it says at least two coats. If you don't apply it according to manufacturer recommendations, you can't complain about the product, period.

The best thing you can do to keep your bottom clean with hard paint is sail the boat as often as possible. It makes a huge difference. For example, I took my bottom down, barrier coated, and put three coats of Trinidad in the Chesapeake just about a year ago. I sailed the boat often since then, almost constantly (living aboard and moving around every few days). I hauled the boat in January to have some shaft work done and it was so clean it did not even need power washing, no joke.

Trinidad, like all hard paints, is very sensitive to time out of the water. If you paint the bottom, put it in the water, then haul the boat and it sits on the hard for more than a week, you should put another coat on. There are other recommendations for for how long between painting and splashing, etc. that you should ensure you're familiar with to get the best performance out of the paint.

FYI see if you can find a yard that will sell you Trinidad Pro at their cost, which is around 2/3 the cost of Trinidad SR. It's the same paint to-the-trade labeling.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 03:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Right on the can of Trinidad it says at least two coats. If you don't apply it according to manufacturer recommendations, you can't complain about the product, period.

The best thing you can do to keep your bottom clean with hard paint is sail the boat as often as possible. It makes a huge difference. For example, I took my bottom down, barrier coated, and put three coats of Trinidad in the Chesapeake just about a year ago. I sailed the boat often since then, almost constantly (living aboard and moving around every few days). I hauled the boat in January to have some shaft work done and it was so clean it did not even need power washing, no joke.

Trinidad, like all hard paints, is very sensitive to time out of the water. If you paint the bottom, put it in the water, then haul the boat and it sits on the hard for more than a week, you should put another coat on. There are other recommendations for for how long between painting and splashing, etc. that you should ensure you're familiar with to get the best performance out of the paint.

FYI see if you can find a yard that will sell you Trinidad Pro at their cost, which is around 2/3 the cost of Trinidad SR. It's the same paint to-the-trade labeling.
Thanks for the info. Last haul and black was brief and I believe I got 2 coats of paint... at least that was what the yard billed for. Boat is in the water year round and unfortunately not sailed enough.... So I have been forced to have diver scrape the bottom. He reports mostly slime and boat comes out pretty clean...ie no barnacles... growth however does slow it down.

This is sort of an experiment driven by 5 years of experience in that harbor. I have the option to haul and paint anytime.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:41   #10

Suijin - "sail the boat as often as possible." Is this why my boat moored in 2-3 knots of tidal current doesn't foul very much?
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:01   #11

Unless I get the paint on big sale or from private parties on craigslist I use the cheapest one available as I've seem similar spotty results from venerable makers. Last example was a haul out of a friend's 47 footer this past Fall (not an actual haul out but a dry out at low tide by the seawall). In Spring of same year he had her bottom painted with $400/gal paint which he got at wholesale price. Did two coats, etc. The boat spent a few weeks in FL after that prev. bottom job in Spring of same year and rest of the time in New England. Its bottom was as fouled as my boat's where I used a $65/gal and also coats.

I initially always did one coat and the fouling was still different from year to year. The few times that I did two coats the results were also variable sometimes with significantly less fouling but sometimes same as one coat or even greater. Perhaps just as with the fluctuating fishery catches the amount of fouling also fluctuates naturally.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:04   #12

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpman View Post
Suijin - "sail the boat as often as possible." Is this why my boat moored in 2-3 knots of tidal current doesn't foul very much?
Flow helps, but so would the changing salinity that a tidal current brings (assuming you're near to a river/estuary).

Sent from mTalk
Old 22-03-2017, 09:06   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Sandero-I get the point of your original question/post - I'm doing the same as are others....I have my bottom cleaned every month by a diver and I don't bottom paint until he demands me too. Paints going on 4 years and all is well so far... I pull my paddle wheel after sailing to keep the shrimp out of my 'speedo'.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Am I crazy or what?

I have for 32 years painted the bottom of Shiva. About 10 years ago I soda blasted 20 something years of accumulated paint. I believe it weight as "dust" close to 1,000 pounds. I applied barrier coat and began the painting thing again.

I am using Petit Trinidad. Try to limit the application to a single coat. The paint is not effective in LI sound / Southern New England. Boat is moored in Northport from April/May through November and winter stored in water.

What I have to do is have a diver clean the bottom at least every month to 6 weeks.

So tell me why I am spending a fortune in painting if I have to spend another $700 on divers?

This year I was about to repeat my previous practice and paint the bottom. Paint and supplies here and waiting for weather to get the boat hauled and blocked.

I changed my mind.... I am not going to a short haul, power wash, scrap off any barnacles etc... polish the prop (sanding) apply some spray on zinc to the prop, replace the zinc and splash the boat.

I'll have more frequent dives... and go with last years paint.

Am I crazy?

What say you?
I've asked myself the same question. And asked aloud here on CF only to be shot down. But one does have to question the use of bottom paint. You have to scrape and clean anyway from my experience. New Pettit Trinidad in the Caribe would get absolutely loaded with big barnacles for me. The problem is the barnacles attach and grow to up to maybe 3/8" diameter before they die. They are still loaded on the bottom even if they are dead. Then you add how ineffective the newer paints are now and it's even worse.
The only paint I ever had done that was worth it in southern climes was the Dutch "submarine paint" put on in Trinidad. Nothing would grow on that. Sitting unused 1.5 years in Fl after a few months spent returning to FL and nothing was on it. I hired a diver when I a sale contract. He came up and told me "there's nothing to do, are you sure it wasnt just done?"

For longevity I suppose multi coats is good, but if the top layer isn't working it doesn't matter if the underlayer is there or not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:11   #15

My boat a 1977 CT41 was bottom cleaned and painted about 3 1/2 years ago. Since then the bottom is inspected and brushed monthly. Our sailings are infrequent and the boat is moored in a marina in Punta Gorda, FL. I have decided to stick with the monthly cleanings and to forgo the periodic paintings as being just a duplicate expense.
Seadoc777 is offline   Reply With Quote