Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 18:48   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40
I've changed my mind about medical evacuation insurance

All of us out here in between the middle of and smack dab of nowhere always wonder about what is going to happen if there is a medical emergency. We may say we don't care and fate is fate, but we always wonder. I've caught a little glimpse. About a month ago, I had to jet the cap'n out of the Abacos and the purpose of this post is to apologize for some of my bravado on several message boards in which I trivialized the need for evacuation insurance. I advocated using charter flights because they were quicker. The night I jetted the cap'n out there was no way I would have got on a charter flight with me as the only attending caretaker, and I'm a nurse. There was the 8 hr. delay waiting for a jet but the clinic in Marsh Harbour did an amazing job of stabilizing Jeff, and me too. We did not have the insurance and I had to provide an accessible upfront payment by credit card of $8,400. I don't know what they would have done if we didn't have it. You can check my blog out for the particulars of the whole experience but I'm just putting the word out to get the insurance. By the way, the cap'n is good and the doc that did the heart cath said his heart is in a hell of lot better shape than it has any right to be.
Old 02-03-2009, 19:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
All the best to you and the cap'n.

It's all too easy to believe you will never need medical help when you are not sick.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 19:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Yes, medical insurance can be a blessing. I had to make a quick trip home from Belize after dropping an alternator on my foot and almost cutting off a big toe. My insurance covered the flight home. It was a lot less than what you had to pay though. I also could not get on a charter.

All the best to you and the Cap'n.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 13:24   #4

Boat: Ericson 38
DeepFrz... Can you help me as I'm trying to shop for Halth Insurance for my wife and I. We are U.S. Citizens with personal helth coverage now which is really just a catostrophic policy. We pay typical and routine med expenses out of pocket and pay about $130/month to cover us for $3 Million each year of Med Coverage. We expect to pay out of pocket for medical care as we cruise the Carribean, Central/South America and on to South Pacific. But Certainly there must be some affordable policies so we can be covered for catastrophies while cruising. Please help anyone who has some experience/suggestions. thanks!
captainspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 14:26   #5

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
I am responding because I want to be informed of the responses. I have nothing to add. I am trying to decide on what plan.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 14:40   #6

Choosing a plan or coverage is very difficult. I would like to have some type of coverage like a $2-5 million catostrophic policy, and would ideally want that to cover myself and wife for about $100/month. i think that's a fair value, as after all it is insurance, something to protect me but also something I don't intend to use. We expect to simply pay out of pocket for healthcare as we need it by visiting local clinics, medical facilities, hospitals, etc. So if anyone has suggestions Please Lay them on us.
Old 15-04-2009, 15:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I would like to have some type of coverage like a $2-5 million catostrophic policy, and would ideally want that to cover myself and wife for about $100/month.
We currently have a $2500 annual deductible policy and then the 80% coverage kicks in and for two people it's $284 or $150 for me alone. That is the price for both being over 50 yet under 60. The high deductible policies seem to be the trend. We don't have as good coverage out of the country however.

The idea of $100 a month depends on your age and I seriously doubt you can get that. If you were under 30 and you get the better rate. If you are starting and almost over the line you need to be ready for a the bump on your birthday. How the plan works depends on a lot as well. If you need prior approval and if you have to pay first and get paid back later all may matter.

Wanting a cheaper policy is not assurance that there is such a thing.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 16:20   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I'm not sure I can be of much help. I had Blue Cross coverage, for one year. That was in '94 and even if I could remember what it cost it wouldn't have any bearing on today's cost. I don't even know if Blue Cross is available anywhere other than Canada.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 19:48   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Agur's Wish: I'm so sorry to hear of your experience, but am glad it was not as bad as it may have been. It's wonderful that you have been able to make the best of it but making it a learning experience for the rest of us. I read in your blog, you are likely to move onto new things. I wish you all the best.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 07:15   #10

Our Situation: Married couple both age 32. We plan to cruise for the next 3-4 years. We wish to cruise Carribean, South/Central America, Cross the Panama Canal and cruise French Polynesia. Maybe we will continue on and settle down under, or circle back up to Hawaii then back to U.S. to try out the west coast... Who really knows where we'll end up, but we want to have some sort of coverage over the next few years. Right now we have a $2.5 million annual coverage with $1,500 annual deductable and we pay $133/month. This is a U.S. only coverage so if we were out of the U.S. we would need to get back to have insured coverage. Later this year when we go cruising we will have different expectations. We will expect to pay for regular and incidental medical expenses out of pocket with-out credit to an annual deductable but would like a major medical policy to cover us for any serious trouble. Since we will be basically on our own and not likely (unless a major medical crisis occurs) to use our insurance I would expect coverage that would cost less than we pay now. To this extent I'm hoping to get a response from anyone who has smartly found catastrophic coverage for cruisers that is very affordable. Maybe there are providers from outside the U.S. that offer insurance products such as this? I just don't know and would love some suggestions. Thanks.
Old 22-04-2009, 20:28   #11

Boat: 2004 Hunter 33' Legacy
From what i can determine from this thread, there seems to be two burning issues. First, as described by Agurs Wish, medical evcauation coverage is a separate issue and coverage. its purpose is to bring a US citizen back to the US for urgent medical treatment. That coverage is not terribly expensive on an annual basis and is designed to get the patient back to our medical system(or other) where the medical insurance is more apt to give coverage.

The second issue is comprehensive medical coverage for an affordable price. That is a little more complicated and as previously mentioned, affected by age and potentially existing health conditions. a few areas to watch for are; deductible, policy maximum, network and out of network penalties. Be wary of any policy that specifies what is covered by individual sicknesses and accidents. Also read the policy limitations and exclusions (what is not covered). that section can be very enlighting.

Fair winds
spanky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 14:05   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky44 View Post
Also read the policy limitations and exclusions (what is not covered). that section can be very enlighting.

Fair winds
Right.

And insurance companies do not have to allow you to read the policy before you buy.
They only show you the policy after you buy it. You are given a grace period to read and decide.
If you do not like it and return it they give you your money back but in the mean time you don't have insurance.
Real estate laws have been passed so one can see what is happening.
Not so insurance.
They still rule the world.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medical