Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2011, 17:02   #46

Re: My Boat Scares Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
All you 5 star guys need to go sailing instead of writing about it...
LOL, ain't it the truth. Don't worry Don, just take it slower around the curves and remember tonnage wins. Later you'll be wishing you had more.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 17:54   #47

Boats are boats, they're all the same. Drop it in the drink and go sailing.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 18:18   #48

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
does it have a metal pointy think on the end?
Yeah, our old boat has an 8' sprit with a large pointed bronze star painted gold flake always got plenty of assisters, that I would either accept or decline depending on the competancy they showed.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 03:25   #49

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

We went from 23 feet to 34 feet. I remember standing in the cockpit looking forward and saying to my partner this thing is huge! It seemed less huge once it was in the water. The more we were on the boat the less large she seemed. She certainly handled differently and the only way to get used to that is to use her ( once the hard stuff goes soft). Our first voyage involved four dockings. ( A whole tale unto itself involving a mal functioning bridge.)
Enjoy your new boat.
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 03:55   #50

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

You guys don't know what new fear is.
Go from never owning a boat to a 41 foot catamaran. Now that's fear with a huge amount of respect thrown in. After 3 seasons I still have the respect. Well maybe a little fear...

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 05:43   #51

Boat: Westsail 33

I can understand you being hesitant and concerned. When I first stepped up from 17ft to 55ft I noted the new boat had the beam of the old boats length (almost). I soon learnt when you handle a 26 tonne girl you need to show them respect and courtesy as you direct them to where you like to go. Preplan docking for wind and tide, get them moving in the right direction then back off and allow them to make their own way into the berth.
Slow down and let things happen slowly. Amidship docking line first as you knock her into reverse to wash of the speed then back to neutral as she kisses the dock.
Try to force her and she'll act up in a big way. ( At least that's my experience) ;-) You'll do OK, heaps of others have done it.
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 13:59   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

It was nice yesterday so I again went to the boat to move stuff from the old boat to the new. Since it was warm I spent a lot of time crawling around and looking under decks, in lockers, etc etc to find out where everything is (damn there is a lot more storageon the boat than I first thought). When I left I felt less scared because I had a better handle on all the systems and was thinking "no big deal".

And while there I decided to bring home the Hunter manuals that were on the boat and read though them (Hunter did a nice job on these).

Damn I'm scared again. The boat is a LOT more complicated that my old Cal. I bet it has at least 3 times the hull fittings. The electrical system reminds me of my submarine nuclear power days with power going here and there!

But you know what: in a month when the boat is lanuched I'm going to know where every valve, wire, and fitting on the boat is! Then I'm going to be sittingaround with a cold one baby that I pulled out of the frig!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 14:09   #53

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

But you know what: in a month when the boat is lanuched I'm going to know where every valve, wire, and fitting on the boat is! Then I'm going to be sittingaround with a cold one baby that I pulled out of the frig!

YESSSS!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 09:11   #54

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
It was nice yesterday so I again went to the boat to move stuff from the old boat to the new. Since it was warm I spent a lot of time crawling around and looking under decks, in lockers, etc etc to find out where everything is (damn there is a lot more storageon the boat than I first thought). When I left I felt less scared because I had a better handle on all the systems and was thinking "no big deal".

And while there I decided to bring home the Hunter manuals that were on the boat and read though them (Hunter did a nice job on these).

Damn I'm scared again. The boat is a LOT more complicated that my old Cal. I bet it has at least 3 times the hull fittings. The electrical system reminds me of my submarine nuclear power days with power going here and there!

I just sailed my (new to me) 33 contest out of the marina I kept her at to a spot to put her on the hook. I am thinking no more marinas for a while.
But as I was sailing her (because her engine is locked up) past the million dollar yachts and boats lining the marina.
I couldn't help but smile seeing the fear in their eyes. It's all in how you look at it.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:30   #55

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

I remember when I moved from a Cat 30 to a 36, I asked the salesman about electric winches because the main was SO BIG! Needless to say, the main went up in about three seconds and I had a good laugh at myself. However, sometimes I stand at the wheel of a Cat 42 at a show and can't believe that it's only 6 feet longer than my boat, so I know what you mean. It is all about confidence which can only develop through experience. So get out there.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 21:57   #56

Send a message via Skype™ to ProtectTheOcean

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If you're giving it away, I'll take it off your hands.
LOL! I was thinking something similar. If that 39 is an extra for ya now...?
ProtectTheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 04:04   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectTheOcean View Post
LOL! I was thinking something similar. If that 39 is an extra for ya now...?
I can tell you when you can buy it if you want.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 16:59   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Smile Re: My Boat Scares Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
This is one of the first boats I had to drive. At first it was a bit scary but the bullets hitting the hull took my mind off that.

Absolutely love the humour!!!
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 17:06   #59

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:

The first thing we were required to do as ordinary seamen was to trace and learn every system on the ship.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 17:35   #60

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Naah... its no different to using an MG then changing to a Bently...
You cant fit in them small holes anymore... and you need a bigger garage...
I knew it, first it was Racnas, now it's all Bentlys and small holes. What's next? Russian surplus megayachts? 007?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote