Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 19:05   #31

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: My Boat Scares Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Mine's too small when I'm on it, and too big when I'm washing it or painting the bottom.
It must be about the right size, although with three hulls it has 100 feet of waterline to keep clean!
100 foot of waterline? No wonder it goes so fast! Better keep it away from the Everett Marina unless you like cleaning the waterline.
Old 15-03-2011, 19:44   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Just remember, Don, they look a lot bigger on the hard. You'll be amazed how much she shrinks once you're out of sight of land.
Old 15-03-2011, 20:16   #33

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

It won't be long now, you will feel comfortable Don Lucas!

We just moved up from a 32 to a new-to-us 35...in this situation, it is not so much the size, but the unfamiliarity with a specific boat that was freaking me out. We finally got her out this past weekend and put her through a few paces...and Schwoo! I feel a lot better! Having not sea-trialed her for various reasons also had compounded the anxiety.

Hope that white stuff thaws soon so you won't have any more time to psych yourself out! ;0) We want pictures of your maiden voyage!!!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 20:30   #34

Actually, there are several things that make bigger boats easier to dock:

- They're heavier so they don't get blown around by the wind as much when docking. Assuming you can get her stopped reasonably close to the dock (hopefully before making actual contact with the dock), there will be more time to get lines ashore before the boat starts moving again.

- Bigger boats are more "tip worthy". No kid on the dock is going to be distracted from the girl of the moment for some Cal 27 - but show up in something bigger and he'll be standing by to smartly receive and snub your lines. Like a good caddy makes a golfer look better.

- Slip location: In a bigger boat you're never expected to squeeze into a tiny spot in the marina so they can hold the easy spot for a real boat. You've heard this sort of stuff on the radio "Ah, this is Fast Tide Marina back to the Cal 27. Captn', after the 4th dock make a sharp turn to starboard and at the end of the row there there should be room for you right between a 70ft Hatterass and the flag blue Hinckley with a new varnish job. Don't worry Captn' - I'll get someone down there to help you.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 21:31   #35

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We went from 19 to 39.

As big a difference in boats as it is in women.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 03:51   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Just remember, Don, they look a lot bigger on the hard. You'll be amazed how much she shrinks once you're out of sight of land.

That of course is true. In my Navy submarine days it was amazing how much bigger the sub looked when it was in dry dock. Of course the sub when in the wter is like an iceberg and 7/8s is submerged (when on surface).

Also someone memtioned the newness factor of not knowing the new boat. I'm sure that my not knowing the boat systems etc add to the feeling of fear.

But in the end a little fear never hurt anyone!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:02   #37

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I remember that feeling when I bought my first 36' fly bridge cabin cruiser. I had only driven a small 14' outboard fishing boat until then. But after a couple of years I got used to it. It took me over an hour to dock the first few times. The scariest part was after the first week, I took it out and the steering wheel broke. I had to use the engine to steer back into the dock. That was scary!
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:06   #38

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Me - 65 yrs, Bluestocking-41 ft, 12 tons.
Lot easier to sail than the Tornado cats I raced 25 yrs ago.
Old 16-03-2011, 07:42   #39

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
That of course is true. In my Navy submarine days it was amazing how much bigger the sub looked when it was in dry dock. Of course the sub when in the wter is like an iceberg and 7/8s is submerged (when on surface).

Also someone memtioned the newness factor of not knowing the new boat. I'm sure that my not knowing the boat systems etc add to the feeling of fear.

But in the end a little fear never hurt anyone!
Without putting words in your mouth, I think maybe I've come up with the solution. In my case, and I believe in yours, the proper word is RESPECT, not fear. I respect that the characteristics of my present boat are quite different than the old one. It's a 5' jump to the dock, not a step across. It actually lessens way much quicker, but I still am not that fond of parallel parking in 5', but then I did get the best outside slip in the marina! go figure? RESPECT is not a flaw of character. Semper Peratus
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 10:36   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ye also get a lot of help whenye have a nice long bowsprit.....LOL....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 11:01   #41
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ye also get a lot of help whenye have a nice long bowsprit.....LOL....

does it have a metal pointy think on the end?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 11:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
does it have a metal pointy think on the end?

HHHMMMMMMMM goooooood idea..... i like that one......must add to list of mods..... with adjustable boost turbo, bow thrusters, and captain ron....
Old 16-03-2011, 11:39   #43

each boat i have owned required slightly different approach to docking and mooring situations--is fun to learn each boat's quirks..
Old 16-03-2011, 14:47   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
This is one of the first boats I had to drive. At first it was a bit scary but the bullets hitting the hull took my mind off that

You didn't have to worry about running aground. My hat to you sailor.
I thought Cans were bad. One skipper in Newport ran his into us ; maybe the whaleboat he was used to .....
Nusailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 15:19   #45

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusailr View Post
You didn't have to worry about running aground.
Getting far enough up on ground was the biggest problem. Backing off was EZ, unless it took on a big load. The Army guys did that though, I was just a repairman.