Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27   #991

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Hey, GILow,

It's supposed to be 33 deg. C. today. Maybe you get in the dinghy and get some barney pics for us? Tnx in advance.

Ann
Old 11-12-2018, 13:08   #992

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

I think this race would actually be more interesting and probably safer if it weren't billed as a non-stop race. Also, I don't think that allowing participants to use technology to get GPS coordinates and weather data would be a bad thing, either.

Hear me out, please.

Technology: They are already getting weather and location information from the race committee and from VHS calls to other boats. So, drop the fiction that modern technology is not being used and allow racers to be more proactive in weather routing.

Safety: Participants may be able to avoid some really bad weather and would be able attend to their gear. There could still be rules against accepting outside help, especially professional boat repair. But they should be able to get parts.

Interest: There would be a tension between making stops and non-making stops, because making a stop obviously slows you down, but wise use of stops could enhance one's ability to finish the race. Most sailors would probably plan for a non-stop anyway. Also, it's very cool to get some in depth updates like Cap't Coconut's recent videos, so that generates interest. And would be beneficial to sponsors, as well with more visibility and slightly less risk.

The way this race is set up now if you have a problem where exercising good seamanship requires a stop, that means joining Chichester class or dropping out altogether. I don't think it needs to be that stark. For example, if you decide you need to haul out for a good barnacle cleanse, the time used to do that is penalty enough. I guess I believe Chichester should be the standard, not the lesser achievement. Even with these changes, the race would still be high adventure.

Anyway, that's my two-cents.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 13:41   #993

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Our friend Alan Nebauer ("Newcastle Australia") competed in the 94-95 BOC. That race started in the US, and had scheduled stops in SA, Sydney, Australia, Uruguay (Punta del Este), and finished back in the US. In that race, the vessels had crews to work on them, maybe only volunteers, maybe the guys with more $$ than Alan were able to pay. It's a LOT of wear and tear.

Yet, interestingly, in the "Longue Route", there haven't been much in the way of restrictions on the boats, and one, Susanne Curphy-Huber's vessel is of aluminum construction (she designed and built it herself), and she has not reported any gear failure as of yet. She is currently past Cabo de Hornos, and on her way to France...or not, if she changes her mind like Bernard.

Ann
Old 11-12-2018, 14:27   #994

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yet, interestingly, in the "Longue Route", there haven't been much in the way of restrictions on the boats, and one, Susanne Curphy-Huber's vessel is of aluminum construction (she designed and built it herself), and she has not reported any gear failure as of yet. She is currently past Cabo de Hornos, and on her way to France...or not, if she changes her mind like Bernard.
It is also pretty ironic that a Beneteau from the Longue Route came to assist Loic's rescue.

The worst news I can find currently from the Longue Route is one of the participant's cat has been quarantined in NZ. Fewer restrictions, somewhat larger boats and less pressure to maximize speed - I wonder which of these, if any, has contributed most to the lack of dramatic news.

Edit: Same guy with the Beneteau and the cat!
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 22:15   #995

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSlue View Post
I think this race would actually be more interesting and probably safer if it weren't billed as a non-stop race. Also, I don't think that allowing participants to use technology to get GPS coordinates and weather data would be a bad thing, either.
This Golden Globe Race is NOT yer ordinary around-the-world sailboat race.

It is a 50 year commemoration of the great classic 1978 Golden Globe Race, the first wild round-the-world non-stop solo race, where 7(?) boats started from Falmouth, 6 dropped out spectacularly and only one boat finally finished--Sir Robin Knox-Johnson in Suhaili. The setup and rules of this commemoration of that GGR are intended to duplicate the extraordinary trials and tribulations of that event.

Read lurid accounts of the original Golden Globe Race in these books....

Lundy, Derek: Godforsaken Sea

Knox-Johnston, Robin: A World of My Own
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 00:02   #996

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
This Golden Globe Race is NOT yer ordinary around-the-world sailboat race.

It is a 50 year commemoration of the great classic 1978 Golden Globe Race, the first wild round-the-world non-stop solo race, where 7(?) boats started from Falmouth, 6 dropped out spectacularly and only one boat finally finished--Sir Robin Knox-Johnson in Suhaili. The setup and rules of this commemoration of that GGR are intended to duplicate the extraordinary trials and tribulations of that event.

Read lurid accounts of the original Golden Globe Race in these books....

Lundy, Derek: Godforsaken Sea

Knox-Johnston, Robin: A World of My Own
Also read.....The strange last voyage of Donald Crowhurst. We went to Teignmouth a couple of years ago which is where he left from. Booked into a b and b on the waterfront and asked about him. No one knew !!! Maybe they are trying to forget but it sure put that town on the map, at least for me.
RKJ donated his winnings to Crowhurst's wife, great man.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:08   #997

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Mark has not much to gain by continuing. He is out of the race already. He has proven himself by sailing non-stop halfway around the world. If he is still set on a solo circumnavigation, he can now do it at his leisure and in more of a cruising style.

Personally, I would take the Adelaide summer. The risk of a serious accident is far too high in continuing.
I read today that he's decided to pull out.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:44   #998

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
It is also pretty ironic that a Beneteau from the Longue Route came to assist Loic's rescue.

The worst news I can find currently from the Longue Route is one of the participant's cat has been quarantined in NZ. Fewer restrictions, somewhat larger boats and less pressure to maximize speed - I wonder which of these, if any, has contributed most to the lack of dramatic news.

Edit: Same guy with the Beneteau and the cat!
A cat? double the brain power? I thought this was a solo event.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:43   #999

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
The GGR race, discussion and news

Well, as noted by 44 CruisingCat, Captain Coconut is bowing out.

I have to admit I am a) not surprised and b) a little sad.

I loved his weekly phone calls, I loved his laid back attitude and his bottomless positivity.

I confess this has left me with nothing much to follow now. I am not sure if it was the presence of the Coconut, but I have not felt any great connection with any of the other sailors. I seriously respect those still racing but I have not felt the urge to check the tracker for a week now and I haven’t watched one of Don’s videos for days.

But I am still confident that this thread will provide me with plenty of entertainment and thought provoking observations for some time to come.

As for photos of Coconut’s bottom growth... I was not there for the slipping and cleaning of Coconut. But it was funny to see her sitting on the same spot I clean my boat. I have been told she’s going back in the water tomorrow, but I guess that’s it for her for a while. Maybe I can ask to borrow Wilson and take him to Hobart for Mark.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:48   #1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hey, GILow,

It's supposed to be 33 deg. C. today. Maybe you get in the dinghy and get some barney pics for us? Tnx in advance.

Ann

I wasn’t there, but here’s a good video.

https://www.facebook.com/CoconutGGR/...1169819408452/
Old 12-12-2018, 04:58   #1001

OK, Igor wins the barnacle contest.

https://www.facebook.com/goldenglobe...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/goldenglobe...type=3&theater
Old 12-12-2018, 05:07   #1002

Quote:

The worst news I can find currently from the Longue Route is one of the participant's cat has been quarantined in NZ.

Umm... from the cat's perspective I can see how that would be a drag, but I reckon the great big hole in the bow of the boat was moderately more alarming.

https://francislongueroute2018.blogs...Cpgi9Mo9BMeiA0
Old 12-12-2018, 05:30   #1003

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Anyway, that's my two-cents.
The problem with stopping for repairs is the next thing one competitor has a full crew of shipwrights on board doing a full formula one pit stop regardless of the cost. Another competitor may not be able to afford that level of service. At present they are in a eat what you bring senario.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:45   #1004
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Its hard for those who sail with everything to understand those who are happy to sail with the minimum.
And by the standards of the 60's race these competitors are above the minimum their predecessors had.
Respect..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 16:32   #1005

Boat: Bristol 27

So as I mentioned in an earlier post, The leader JLVDH was not in a good spot due to the wind direction.

When he finally was forced to tack, he had to deal with the terrible pointing ability of a full keel boat.

He went from a tack headed close to North to a tack heading 100 degrees plus.

I deal with this almost every time I cross the bay for my return trip, but I'm only dealing with a 20 mile crossing to the South.

So I can afford to sail a bit toward the North to gain leverage

The leader though is in a much tougher spot. His only option may be to sail off to the East a bit then tack back

The point is this race could get quite interesting from here on out. Maybe even more so than barnacles

Mark Slats has room to maneuver which even though he is way behind could possibly allow him to close the gap

https://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
race