Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 14:07   #1021

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

There was one of those talk thingos that DM and his chum put up on Facebook... don't ask me which one .... shortly after she was rescued . He stated that after any participants sank or retired they were on their own....
So I don't see any difference here and last I looked she wasn't talking to anyone anyway or have I missed something in the last 12 hours?... https://in.news.yahoo.com/british-sa...181048496.html....
Her sponsors? Well they did stump up a swag of dosh which they have effectively seen go straight down the gurgler...
The participants gave money to DM... he didn't give them money....
Old 14-12-2018, 15:37   #1022
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Gilow.. you've just got sour grapes coz she went further n faster than the Coconut..
I think Suzie's got a nice husky voice myself..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 17:26   #1023

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Gilow.. you've just got sour grapes coz she went further n faster than the Coconut..

Damn! You’ve outed me. [emoji846]
Old 14-12-2018, 17:31   #1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Don reported that Suzie signed off when she got ashore. He didn't sign her off !

Her storey belongs to her so why should Don try to steal her storey/glory.
Stupid to think he has lost interest because he's always talking about the lessons to be learnt.

I am not suggesting Don should have access to her “story”.

I am suggesting, and this is simply an impression that I got from comments from
Don and her actions since the rescue, that her financial interests seem to be trumping what I would deem simple good manners.

SOME acknowledgement of the team that put this race together would be a reasonable grace in the circumstances.

Of course she and DHL et al are entitled to whatever financial bonus they can salvage from the journey.

To me, it’s just a question of good manners, and in this case I feel they are sorely lacking.
Old 15-12-2018, 01:25   #1025

I think DM should have been thanking SG for the $14k she gave him......

Not a bad deal really ... 18 x $14k = $252k..... for setting up a website and putting together a 30 minute Facebook vid once a week.... wish I had thought of it....

Ping the Cynical Old Geezer...
Old 15-12-2018, 12:55   #1026

Boat: BOC 50

$17k in the next one, and they are queuing up!! plus a Cape Town stop!!
Jimroda06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 12:58   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimroda06 View Post
...plus a Cape Town stop!!

See, that Coconut is such a trend setter!
Old 15-12-2018, 13:04   #1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think DM should have been thanking SG for the $14k she gave him......

Not a bad deal really ... 18 x $14k = $252k..... for setting up a website and putting together a 30 minute Facebook vid once a week.... wish I had thought of it....

Ping the Cynical Old Geezer...

EP the COG!

In all seriousness, I wonder what something like this costs to run?At a guess I’d say one of the biggest expenses would have to have been their liability insurance, or least the legals around their liability. Plus accomodation in Froggie land and the running costs of the sat phones and YB trackers. Travel costs to the bottom of the earth to meet with some of the contestants in Hobart.

I’m not saying they are likely to walk away with nothing in their pockets, but I bet it is a fair bit less than $252k.

GILow, the financial old geezer.
Old 15-12-2018, 14:48   #1029

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
EP the COG!

In all seriousness, I wonder what something like this costs to run?At a guess I’d say one of the biggest expenses would have to have been their liability insurance, or least the legals around their liability. Plus accomodation in Froggie land and the running costs of the sat phones and YB trackers. Travel costs to the bottom of the earth to meet with some of the contestants in Hobart.

I’m not saying they are likely to walk away with nothing in their pockets, but I bet it is a fair bit less than $252k.

GILow, the financial old geezer.
Yes running 'big events' are not cheap or easy and he deserves credit for its success.
Seems to me, he and many of the participants will be gambling between bankrupt and prosperity.
And, like all 'big event' organisers their work comes with a lot of arm-chair criticism.
I'm impressed at the way so many have survived the roll-overs and 2022 participants will be learning heaps.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 15:09   #1030

Just read the transcript of her little talk when she was in PA... gave equal airtime to everyone as I read it... in a logical order.... her sponsers did make her voyage possible....

'I want to start by thanking MRCC Falmouth. After successfully picking up my distress call following the incident on Wednesday 5th December, they worked quickly and efficiently with the Golden Globe Race organisers to pass the information onto MRCC Chile. To the captain, crew and owners of Tian **, to whom I owe so much, soon diverted their course having received the request.........

.....To my sponsors – what can I say. I had hoped to make it a full circle, but it just wasn’t to be this time. However, I wouldn’t have even made it to the start line without you and I certainly wouldn’t have been so well equipped. Thank you to Zhik, Selden, Marlow Ropes, Weleda, Adesaskews, Sport Kitchen, Invivo Clinical and of course, to my hugely supportive title sponsor, DHL.....'

In fact MRCC Falmouth would have contacted MRCC Chile directo....
Old 16-12-2018, 15:28   #1031

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The only sponsored boat I knew anything about at all, was Alan's Nebauer's "Newcastle Australia". I know that in spite of sponsors' donations, the competitor may be facing a huge indebtedness that they incurred in order to participate. That just seems to be the way of the world for amateurs. Just my ho, of course, but based on being a volunteer for Alan, whom we had first met on his first cruise...in a Top Hat, with his new wife--in Hilo, they had come in from Oz. Well funded, famous names, some are different, but the "little guys" didn't have any kind of laid on help at all, and this was in an event where there were planned stops.

As soon as the reality of her "little ship", with nothing left to make a jury rig from, sunk in, it would have been worrying about a lot of things, potential loss of life, sure, but also the boat, not having it to sell to re-coup some of the expense, loss of the publicity for her sponsors, who had counted on an outcome, at least enough to come up with the dough.

It isn't feet of clay to look at the $$ realities, to me, but a mark of a reality tester.

Ann
Old 16-12-2018, 15:28   #1032
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I've read don bit over $250,000 into it personally beyond the entry fees. I always am skeptical of this events with rather high entry fees and few included perks.
Old 16-12-2018, 17:49   #1033
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Apologize in advance, I haven't read the whole thread and aren't following the race closely, the answer to my question may have already been written.

Have any Hydrovanes broken during this race?

Kevin Farebrother had some issues steering with the Hydrovane, It was one of the reasons for dropping out. Doesn't look broken.
Fi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 09:04   #1034

Boat: BOC 50

liability Insurance down to entrants.
Jimroda06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 12:13   #1035

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi2010 View Post
Kevin Farebrother had some issues steering with the Hydrovane, It was one of the reasons for dropping out. Doesn't look broken.
Kevin, while adventurous, had very little offshore experience. He struggled with the Hydrovane but it was reported as working fine when he retired if I recall. I suspect his lack of experience with sail balance was partly to blame.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race