Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 18:28   #31

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
He needs to realize that Jean Luc and Slats and Peche are going for the win. He will be fourth if he doesn't push.
I think it's not really about winning, more about the the adventure, the sea, and yourself. Just getting to the starting line is a decent achievement. And just to aim to finish is the ultimate goal. I like Marks style. And Abalash Tomy. Both seem very competant, well prepared and relaxed.

I really have no major interest in the event as a race, though I am happy for those who do, and I can see for the professional Rustler 36 Mob that some competition is part of the challenge fpr them. And it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Old 19-07-2018, 18:45   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I think you rather missed the point.

Think about the words “last man standing” a little more.

Or if that is too subtle, go and watch the movie “lone survivor”. Spoiler, only one guy survives.

Now extrapolate that to the race.

Got it yet? :^)
You think Jean Luc Van Heede doesn't have the same strategy and thousands more miles of experience?

From a personal perspective I have personally done a shorthanded Transatlantic race against numerous competitors from many nation's. When we set out we knew the French were special. This is as big to them as the NFL is to America. They have incredible stamina while smoking cigarettes non stop.

I am proud that I made a few risky calls on the weather that came to fruition and we came in first place in our class. We never discounted the ability of the French though. As a result of beating them I was famous in France for probably 15 minutes. Offshore shorthanded sailing is very close to being as important as the World Cup for the French. Beating them is hard, very hard, but it can be done. I expect the the race will be won by a French national.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 18:55   #33

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

After years of owning French cars I suspect much of their stamina comes from keeping the darn things going.

Still reckon Mark has it in the bag tho.
Old 19-07-2018, 19:01   #34

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
You think Jean Luc Van Heede doesn't have the same strategy and thousands more miles of experience?

I am proud that I made a few risky calls on the weather that came to fruition and we came in first place in our class. We never discounted the ability of the French though. As a result of beating them I was famous in France for probably 15 minutes. Offshore shorthanded sailing is very close to being as important as the World Cup for the French. Beating them is hard, very hard, but it can be done. I expect the the race will be won by a French national.
I think you are definitely correct. If someone other that a Frenchman wins I'll send you $50. Keep me to it OK? So you now have a financial interest. But it will be Australian dollars.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 19:13   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I think you are definitely correct. If someone other that a Frenchman wins I'll send you $50. Keep me to it OK? So you now have a financial interest. But it will be Australian dollars.
Dude, no need to send money. We are both betting on the French to win but you must buy me a beer when I sail into Cairns, where I lived in the mid 80s, in a couple of years.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 19:51   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Wow- they decided to ignore the fact that two multis started the original. Amazing. It never stops. equally if I owned Joshua, it would be ineligible.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 20:00   #37

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Dude, no need to send money. We are both betting on the French to win but you must buy me a beer when I sail into Cairns, where I lived in the mid 80s, in a couple of years.
Well, I'd like to do that but Cairns is a bit far north from here. I live in Northern NSW. But I like the idea of having some $$$ at stake. I nearly put $10,000 on Trump to win when he first announced that he was going to run. They were offering 100 to 1 in the UK back then.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 01:15   #38

Boat: BOC 50

Not detracting from his superb efforts in that BOC race, but Alan only did the Sydney to Tahiti leg single handed for his qualifying distance. His wife Cindy joined him from Tahiti to Charleston... he was very late in setting out and was fighting the arrival deadline in Charleston. Barely made it, too, even with her help (and help she did!... read his entertaining book "Aginst All Odds").

Hey Jim,
I stand corrected!!!
Read the book, helped him write it, and I take up a lot of pages.
Don't suppose you know where he is now?

Niah.. Jimroda 2
Jimroda06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 02:03   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Read the book, helped him write it, and I take up a lot of pages.
Don't suppose you know where he is now?
As of a few months ago he and Cindy were still in the Jervis Bay area... I think Vincentia. I have a useful email address for him if you need it. Try a PM.

And if you do PM, ID yourself if you don't mind. If you feature in the book, we only appear briefly,during his time in Darling Harbour, when Ann and I were BMWs for Alan, Cindy and Mick, his brother. Good times... we first met them in Hilo in 1987 and have been friends ever since... their daughter Annie is named after my Ann!

A great couple... a privilege to have known them all these years.

Jim
Old 20-07-2018, 03:43   #40

Niah, that 94/95 Boc was one of the best. I still have an old VHS video of it. Need to find a player and watch it again... I am sure there is a bit on Jimroda II in it. Well done with third in class 2.
Old 20-07-2018, 03:55   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Wow- they decided to ignore the fact that two multis started the original. Amazing. It never stops. equally if I owned Joshua, it would be ineligible.
It would be nice to see how a modern cruising multi would go. Have any smaller (say 40 odd feet) been sailed nonstop around the world since Nigel Tetleys epic voyage on music for pleasure?

The Longue Route may allow multi's, any in it? Or prehaps someone is just doing it anyway, without worrying about being a in an organised event.
Old 20-07-2018, 05:26   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Its around 10500-11000nm by the time they go around the south atlantic high. I figure they will average around 800-1000 miles per week. That makes it around 3 months or so, the faster ones maybe a little earlier, and probably a very long tail of slower boats behind. So from mid October? That should get them to the horn with a reasonable margin over summer.

Looking forward to seeing them. I will do my best to get out on the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I imagine that by then they will be really spread out timewise, so you are likely to get several chances, Ben!

And do you really think they will do that well? Even 800 mi/week is awfully good for boats of that size when you consider having to cross the ITCZ as part of the route.

Jim (from other GGR thread)
Average speeds will be very interesting. So far they seem to be making about 120-125 miles a day, or 840-875 nm a week. That is an average speed of 5-5.2 knots, or pretty close to sqrt LWL for the rustler 36.

The ITCZ could really hurt this, or they may slip though quickly. But I guess it probably won't take more than a week to get through to the SE trades, and maybe much less. They dont have weather routing or gribs but they still have voice weather forcasts so they should be able to get some decent weather info to guide them.

The biggest varible will be how wide they need to go to clear the south atlantic high. Cut the corner too close and its a long wait for wind. Prehaps the more direct inshore african coast route might pay off on these slower boats. But I doubt it, it saves about 700 miles but light head winds will probably cost them way more than that.

Anyway, maybe 800-850 is more realistic. It will be facinating to see what they manage to achieve and what the variations are between the boats and skippers.

End of October?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180720-222008.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	173907
Old 20-07-2018, 09:06   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a current routing, using a block island 40 polars (which I guess are not too far off the boats being used).

Click image for larger version

Name:	7202018.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	173926

The route along the African coast looks good for a while and then runs into a brick wall, and the 'swing around the high' route becomes better (as it almost always is).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 09:16   #44

Wow: We must have met in Darling harbour Jim.
I bent my boom just north Of the Kerguelens and Alan got it fixed for me in Sydney.
I organised accom for Alan,Cindy and babes in Cape Town.
I was travelling between Darling and Bondi, staying with Tracky Mcveigh, he was playing for Manly. Alan organised me transport "it was using a little oil "about a gallon a day"It wasn't your car by any chance!!?? because it blew up.
Alan and I sailed up to Newcastle and did a sponsor race. Mick was on Jimroda taking photos. "I became the Bear of 95" I stayed in the garage where Alan wrote the book.
He was one hell of a sailor, screwed his keel on the first leg, rescued Josh Hall.
Wireless problems on the 2nd leg, lost his mast about a 1000 west of the Horn, fixed in Falklands and then lost his rudder on the way to Uruguay. We had a great battle all the way!!
They are a lovely family. I had a lot of time for them.
Its 23 years since I have seen them.
Thanks for your comments Snow Petrel.
Apologise for side tracking the thread guys.

jimroda@outlook.com

Niah
Old 20-07-2018, 09:21   #45

29-30 west until 40 south then turn left.

Tags
race