Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 04:47   #61

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Quote:
A minimum amount of 20 UG gallons 80 ltrs of fuel and a maximum of that which was specified by the original boat builder or 40 US gallons

160 ltr whichever is less.

Solar panels totalling min 160 watt @ 15v must be permanently installed.
From here https://goldengloberace.com/app/uplo...OR-EN-0418.pdf pg 31.

So they shouldn't have any shortage of power, especially since electric fridges and autopilots are not allowed. Many of them have hydrogenerators as well.

I'd feel bad about using my engine. Seems like cheating somehow, even though we lug it around. I wonder if any of the GGR entrant's have the same attitude.

Storm bay just outside of Hobart is one of the safest places to run a film drop, and as far as I know thats where it will be. It has good shelter, minimal tidal streams, no real navigation hazards. And plenty of sheltered and easily accessible anchorages if need be. Nowhere in NZ is anywhere near as safe for this voyage, its either Cook Strait or Foveaux strait, both very tidal dangerous approaches in bad weather. That's one reason why Cook spent so much time in Adventure bay off Bruny island.

Probably the only other sensible spot would be Albany in West australia, but it would be much more dangerous in a strong winds, requiring more precise navigation, and is further out of the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180721-214224.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	173994Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180721-214406.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	173995
Old 21-07-2018, 05:17   #62

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Solar is allowed it would seem as Francesco left this morning with a panel on his dodger.

I think these boats are too slow to take advantage of hydrogenerators. Didn't see one mounted at the start.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:27   #63

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Solar is allowed it would seem as Francesco left this morning with a panel on his dodger.

I think these boats are too slow to take advantage of hydrogenerators. Didn't see one mounted at the start.
I only average 5 knots on my passages.... I tow an Aqua4Aerogen...... at 5 knots it gives me 5 amps.... 24 hours of the day.

Along with a small solar array of 160W I never want for power to run my systems... I have all the usual stuff including a fridge but no freezer....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:47   #64

Francesco Cappelletti got underway today with his ketch rigged endurance 35. He is not offically in the race, but is going anyway and it seems like Don is supporting him.

He has one of the new Beaufort windvanes. Don explained how it failed on the other boat, apparently the welds in the vertical steering line arm let go. Francesco Cappelletti has had his reinforced, so hopefully it will be Ok. A lot of miles to do and a big unbalanced rudder can really load up a windvane.
Old 21-07-2018, 05:55   #65

Boat: Tiki 38

Hydrogenerator is working just fine on small speed. And provides huge amounts of electricity. If someone has aquair 100 for sale with extra props I'm on the market for one with that my boat doesn't need fossil fuels for generating power.
(At the moment she is quite happy with her panels, it may slightly change with a regular use of a computer and satellite link, but not drastically. This five days is a conservative estimate, just to make sure I have covered all possibilities. With solars at current effectiveness it would be closer to 2 weeks between necessary charging. With hydro added I can actually add a fridge
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 06:16   #66

Kevin Farebrother retired from the race and put his boat up for sale. I found it shocking, when watching a video of it to show it for sale, that they described he did not have a folding prop. Said it would slow the boat about half a knot or a total of three weeks for the whole race. Odd choice.

Old 21-07-2018, 06:34   #67

Boat: Tiki 38

Quote:
Kevin Farebrother retired from the race and put his boat up for sale. I found it shocking, when watching a video of it to show it for sale, that they described he did not have a folding prop. Said it would slow the boat about half a knot or a total of three weeks for the whole race. Odd choice.
I do not find it shocking at all. My boat has a great (in size as well as its usefulness!) three bladed prop. It is not folding and I won't be removing it or replacing it. Replacing a good, well chosen prop with completely unknown, not necessary the best prop of unknown characteristics? No, thanks. And we have not mentioned the cost involved in that which is huge!

And besides I'm racing against time of the Suhaili. It would be unfair and pointless to remove this prop, making it also harder to compare. Was the eventual gain due to modern technology or just thanks to not dragging a prop with me? That would be a main question....
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 06:51   #68

Appears that folding props are illegal as it would increase the design speed. Personally I would fit a two bladed prop and make sure it was lined up with the aperture at all times. I am willing to bet the leaders are doing this.

Old 21-07-2018, 08:21   #69

Boat: Valiant 40

So I was looking at the site and noting the number of participants who have retired already. It's a really long list, with less than half of the starters still in the race.

It would appear that the two biggest causes are A) wind vane failures and B) mental or physical exhaustion and/or sea sickness.

Wind vanes are not the best at beating into 35 knot headwinds, either in terms of control or durability. That's pretty hard on them.

I guess heaving-to or trying to reach around the system are not options?

Off-hand it strikes me that a good percentage of these folks were not adequately prepared mentally or physically or in terms of preparation. Am I wrong?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 12:40   #70

Boat: Herreshoff 36

I find the early retirements shocking and disappointing too. As István said 'If it wasn't for the sponsors I would chuck it in!' What kind of attitude is, to give up a race of this type because, as another contestant stated, he couldn't sleep at night. After so much time, money and effort invested, family, friends and fans all wind up... Did they not know it before?

A few weeks ago ppl were laughing about soccer players falling all over the pitch, but what would they have said if the English team didn't show up because they are afraid of the Russians, or just don't feel like? It's sport, they are supposed to be athletes and not... whatever...
Old 21-07-2018, 13:47   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I predict new found admiration for Knox-Nohnson and Bernard
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 14:26   #72

I competed in the 1994 Twostar Race. Of 18 starters only 9 finished. We were the only boat in our class to finish. It was rough for the first week and gear failure, capsizes and injuries quickly thinned the field.

Seems like a few of these competitors were not seasoned offshore racers but instead adventurers who considered it a challenge. The reality of rolling around in a heavy full keeled boat is not something that is easy on the mind or body and was bound to take it's toll. The seasoned sailors are at the front as expected.

Old 21-07-2018, 15:39   #73

One thing I really wanted to avoid on this thread was negativity, especially around those that withdraw for various reasons. They are out there doing it, while we are on our computers, tablets or phones most likely sitting in a comfy chair.

The high rate of retirees is expected and probably for the best. These islands are the last sensible place to withdraw before getting the boat a long way from home. The mental presures are far tougher than most events. They have no contact with family or the outside world bar the race committee and a HF radio. The southern ocean will be playing on their minds, and the thought that if they are having small issues now it will be way worse in the deep south, and the sheer length of the voyage ahead, far longer time wise than the vendee globe or any other event make it a unique mental challenge.

To those who made the tough decision to withdraw, good on you. At least you got out there and gave it a go.
Old 21-07-2018, 15:44   #74

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I predict new found admiration for Knox-Nohnson and Bernard
This.

I think the lack of communication with the outside world is something that will be difficult and something you can't predict without just doing it (while they have single handed experience it wasnt isolation to this level).
Old 21-07-2018, 15:56   #75

Quote:
Appears that folding props are illegal as it would increase the design speed. Personally I would fit a two bladed prop and make sure it was lined up with the aperture at all times. I am willing to bet the leaders are doing this.
I don't see anywhere where folders are disallowed. I was under the impression that many of the boats were fitted with folding or feathering props. After all I think Bernard Motessier removed his prop.

Something like a Gori with the overdrive would be a logical choice if you could fit one in the aperture.

Tags
race