Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 07:55   #106

Re: More problems in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Since Mexico has apparently become a place of such appalling danger and risk to cruising sailors, surely someone can link to the recent data/particular instances that would support that notion, no?

Or, to offer some proof as to how much more unfavorably Mexico - the world's 11th most populous nation with 120 million inhabitants - might compare with St Lucia, for example - which ranks 193 among the world's countries with a population of 185,000?

I dunno, given the seeming lack of information re crime specifically targeting cruisers in Mexico, seems like heading to St Lucia aboard a cruising yacht might entail just a tad more risk than Mexico, to me...

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/recent_incidents/
December 24, 2014: Mexico Travel Warning

There's one. There are many more. Try Google, it's your friend.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:56   #107

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Came across these articles after a brief Google search.

Travel Safety in Perspective: USA and Mexico

Are Tourists Safer In Mexico Or America?Â*|Â*Lonely Planet

This is lifted from the Lonely Planet article:

"By the way, most of Mexico is not on the State Department's travel warning.

The best of Mexico, in terms of travel, isn't on the warning. The US warns against "non-essential travel" to just four of Mexico's 31 states (all in the north: Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango and Tamaulipas). The warning goes on to recommend against travel to select parts of other states, but not including many popular destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, the Riviera Nayarit, Cancun, Cozumel and Tulum.

Meanwhile, 13 states are fully free from the State Department's warning, including Baja California Sur, Yucatan, Mexico City, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Guanajuato and others."

Sure, there are always stories of murder, kidnappings, armed robbery and cat tacos. I heard them 40 years ago when I first started visiting Mexico and I hear them now. But it is wise to keep these stories in perspective. Millions of tourists travel to Mexico every year and have a great time. The same rules apply now as they did 40 years ago. Be careful, be aware, stay away from problem areas, don't wander around drunk in the dark, don't break the law. To be sure, bad **** happens, but if you keep these things in mind your chances of running into serious trouble in Mexico are very low.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
Old 26-03-2015, 08:12   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Came across these articles after a brief Google search.

Travel Safety in Perspective: USA and Mexico

Are Tourists Safer In Mexico Or America?Â*|Â*Lonely Planet

This is lifted from the Lonely Planet article:

"By the way, most of Mexico is not on the State Department's travel warning.

The best of Mexico, in terms of travel, isn't on the warning. The US warns against "non-essential travel" to just four of Mexico's 31 states (all in the north: Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango and Tamaulipas). The warning goes on to recommend against travel to select parts of other states, but not including many popular destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, the Riviera Nayarit, Cancun, Cozumel and Tulum.

Meanwhile, 13 states are fully free from the State Department's warning, including Baja California Sur, Yucatan, Mexico City, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Guanajuato and others."

Sure, there are always stories of murder, kidnappings, armed robbery and cat tacos. I heard them 40 years ago when I first started visiting Mexico and I hear them now. But it is wise to keep these stories in perspective. Millions of tourists travel to Mexico every year and have a great time. The same rules apply now as they did 40 years ago. Be careful, be aware, stay away from problem areas, don't wander around drunk in the dark, don't break the law. To be sure, bad **** happens, but if you keep these things in mind your chances of running into serious trouble in Mexico are very low.
I started a thread in response to a news article. Which paper I do not recall. The thread was shut down on account of the usual 'pro-Mexico' suspects dragging it down into a state of chaos. This discusses the issue I raised in more detail: Beltran Leyva, Zetas Battling Sinaloa Cartel in Baja California Sur
For those who don' know 'sur' means south Baja, including La Paz, a major cruiser destination on the peninsula.

Warning: Visiting some of the links may expose you to graphic content.
Old 26-03-2015, 08:21   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
It is a true story. Even so, my wife and I visited Baja many times and always enjoyed our time there. The last time was 1995. Since that time, Mexico has become a much more dangerous place. The tacos were cat tacos, not fish.
catfish tacos...
Old 26-03-2015, 08:51   #110

"If you get kidnapped in Mexico, you could expect to be executed."
"The violence in Mexico has increased dramatically."
"If the groups think you do have money or you do have vehicles, at that point it becomes very life threatening."

- Lt. Dave Myers (San Diego Sheriff's Department)(11:10)

Have fun in Mexico!!

Old 26-03-2015, 09:02   #111
Eternal Member

Quote:
December 24, 2014: Mexico Travel Warning

There's one. There are many more. Try Google, it's your friend.
Thanks, but I was hoping for some recent data on the dangers specific to people CRUISING in Mexico... You know, like on a sailboat...

Quote:

For everyone who wants to sail around Mexico in a nice boat with a nice wife, please enjoy! You might also like the southern Philippines. Three years ago my Japanese wife and I did some scuba diving there. When the boat came to our island to pick us up at the end of our stay, there were 6 men on board in military fatigues and armed with M16s. That was in the NORTH (safe) Philippines.
Funny you should happen to mention the Phillipines... Just the other night I was reading the LATITUDE 38 interview with Mike and Annette Reed, who have voyaged extensively in Asia and around the Pacific aboard their 46' cat RUM DOXY...

Quote:
38:
How did you like the Philippines?

Annette:
The Philippines will take your breath away! It's
stunningly beautiful.

Mike:
It's an amazing place to cruise. I can't believe that
more people don't cruise there, as it's beautiful and the people
were more friendly than anywhere that we've been. It's very
inexpensive, too.

Annette:
It's not as pretentious or commercial as Thailand.

38:
What about typhoons?

Mike:
That's the problem. But if you stay in Palawan, the
southern part of the Phillipines, which is also the most beauti-
ful part, it's pretty much typhoon-free. And you're always just
a day away from a hurricane hole. We just loved it there.

Annette:
Then we continued up to Manila to provision. Cus-
toms really hit us hard, with all kinds of clearance fees, health
certifi cates, quarantines and stuff like that. Manila and Subic
Bay really stick it to you compared to the southern Philippines.

Mike:
After Luzon we headed for Ishigaki, Japan, but ended
up in Taiwan because of unfavorable wind and current. Taiwan
turned out to be a great stop. In fact, everywhere we stopped
the people seemed more friendly than the stop before. I've been
to 45 countries, most of them by land, and have never had an
anti-American experience. That includes going to Nicaragua
during the hostilities down there. I've found reality to be so
different from what the U.S. State Department tells us.

http://www.latitude38.com/eBooks/2014/L38201412-2.pdf

Old 26-03-2015, 09:19   #112

Quote:
Thanks, but I was hoping for some recent data on the dangers specific to people CRUISING in Mexico... You know, like on a sailboat...
Don't worry. You're sure to be safe on a boat. Mexican kidnappers cannot swim, hate boats, and know nothing about near-shore currents. Aren't rose colored glasses fun?

Quote:
Funny you should happen to mention the Phillipines...
Yes. Isn't it funny? Glad I could give you a laugh. Don't ever listen to your State Department. What the heck do they know about travel in foreign lands? I heard they wanted to hire the Rum Doxy Reeds for expert analysis, but they were too busy sailing and wanted a kings ransom for their cogent and expert travel advice. Might have just been a rumor. Who knows?

Philippines Travel Warning
Old 26-03-2015, 09:27   #113

Quote:
Don't worry. You're sure to be safe on a boat. Mexican kidnappers cannot swim, hate boats, and know nothing about near-shore currents. Aren't rose colored glasses fun?

Yes. Isn't it funny? Glad I could give you a laugh. Don't ever listen to your State Department.

Philippines Travel Warning
So, you've already told us (so many times) how much more aware you are of worldly dangers, and that you disagree with others.

OK, we get it already.

Have a safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 26-03-2015, 09:41   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
So, you've already told us (so many times) how much more aware you are of worldly dangers, and that you disagree with others.
What? I'm just pointing out US State Dept. travel warnings for folks who may not be aware. I occasionally toss in a cat taco story for a little spice. Kind of like a jalapeño.

Quote:
OK, we get it already.
Who's we? Some don't.

Quote:
Have a safe journey.
Thanks. We will. Armed. And not in Mexico, the southern Philippines, and all of Africa except Cape Town.

Sail safe, Stu.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:53   #115

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
No one here believes you.
I believe him, as I heard from a guy, who know this person that their brother-in-law had a friend in a used car dealership , and one of the dudes that worked for him, was the brother of the someone who worked in a cantina and the guys girlfriend did the cooking and she said it was Turkey, but Nobody likes Turkey in Mexico so They called it Cat..
Old 26-03-2015, 09:58   #116
Eternal Member

Quote:
Well, keep those documented cases of cruisers being kidnapped and murdered in Mexico coming, then...

Remember, "Google is your friend..."
Old 26-03-2015, 10:06   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I believe him, as I heard from a guy, who know this person that their brother-in-law had a friend in a used car dealership , and one of the dudes that worked for him, was the brother of the someone who worked in a cantina and the guys girlfriend did the cooking and she said it was Turkey, but Nobody likes Turkey in Mexico so They called it Cat..
Saturday Night Live is hiring new writers for next season, if you're bored.

It matters not if you or MDR don't believe the cat taco story. It was real, and it happened. End of story. Since your post is a personal attack, who gives a sweet s%#t what you think, anyway?

Have fun sailing. Personally, I'll avoid Mexico and the southern Philippines. Go wherever you like, and invite MDR to go with you.
Old 26-03-2015, 10:16   #118

Quote:
Well, keep those documented cases of cruisers being kidnapped and murdered in Mexico coming, then...

Remember, "Google is your friend..."
Correct choices in life are often the difference between happiness and despair. Not everyone who travels to Mexico will be kidnapped, yet when my State Dept. gives me a warning I choose to listen.

When I moved to LA, I chose to live in Santa Monica instead of Watts. Kind of the same analogy, yet I didn't need a State Dept. warning. Just common sense.

That aside, some folks like wearing rose colored glasses and living on the razor's edge. Like rolling the dice in Vegas. There are winners and losers.
Old 26-03-2015, 10:58   #119
Eternal Member

Quote:
Correct choices in life are often the difference between happiness and despair. Not everyone who travels to Mexico will be kidnapped, yet when my State Dept. gives me a warning I choose to listen.
Perhaps you should learn to READ, as well... From your own State Department cite:

Quote:
The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling to certain places in Mexico due to threats to safety and security posed by organized criminal groups in the country. U.S. citizens have been the target of violent crimes, such as kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery by organized criminal groups in various Mexican states. For information on security conditions in specific regions of Mexico, which can vary, travelers should reference the state-by-state assessments further below...

Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. The Mexican government dedicates substantial resources to protect visitors to major tourist destinations, and there is no evidence that organized criminal groups have targeted U.S. visitors or residents based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime that are reported in the border region or in areas along major trafficking routes.
Quote:
When I moved to LA, I chose to live in Santa Monica instead of Watts. Kind of the same analogy, yet I didn't need a State Dept. warning. Just common sense.
Ahh, but of course, despite what the State Department states above, Mexico is a uniquely homogenous country, there would be no similar distinction between the respective risk of hanging out in a marina in Banderas Bay, and wandering around the streets of Ciudad Juarez...

Quote:
That aside, some folks like wearing rose colored glasses and living on the razor's edge. Like rolling the dice in Vegas. There are winners and losers.
We'll await those numerous examples of "losers" from the community of cruisers in Mexico, then...
Old 26-03-2015, 11:21   #120

The problem I have with foreign travel is I'm not adept at determining the difference between safe areas and dangerous areas in 3rd world countries. The usual clues we use in the US don't apply. To me (and maybe others) many 3rd world countries look poverty stricken everywhere, so there may be a subtle difference between a safe downtown area and the barrio where you shouldn't be, especially after dark.

Sure, drop me into Japan, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, any other industrialized country, and I can tell when I've wandered into a bad area. Drop me into just about any small town in MX and there's trash everywhere and graffiti, and that's the good part of town.

The other issue that bothers me is cruising with a sail boat, you're at the mercy of every faster vessel, which is everything with a motor. How do you make an expensive sailboat not look like one, besides trashing it? A fancy boat obviously indicates you've got a bit of money, and that makes you a target in any impoverished part of the world. The fact that you're the slowest vessel out there and at the mercy of the wind is just icing on the cake.

I'm not saying stay glued to the couch, I'm eventually going to get a nice boat and cruise, but I guess the final decision on where to go will be made based on input from other cruisers in the area recently.
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico