Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 22:00   #76

Re: More problems in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Terra Nova- Thanks. We really enjoyed our time there, and while I usually stay out of it when it gets acrimonious here, but some of what was being said crossed the line for me, time to chime in.

TJ
I really liked your post, it was well balanced in regards to realistically discussing the problems in various areas of MX.

The part about taking portclydeme to task for his attitude...

to be fair, there are just as many if not more posters claiming that those who decide not to go down there are fearmongers, living in fear, have never been to MX, etc etc. That's just as egregious as anything he posted.

The reality is, some people have spent a lot of time down there and now feel it is no longer safe, based on their own experiences and those of their friends. We all have our different tolerance levels for safety, hassles, etc.

I'm not currently cruising, so when I think of going to MX, it's by car. Some day I'd love to cruise MX, but who knows, it may get even worse, it might get better, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

The fact is, MX has surpassed Colombia in terms of kidnappings and killings of tourists - not drug cartel members, a long time ago. They ARE targeting visitors and tourists, so it's just a matter of (bad) luck if you get caught up in something. There are no guarantees. Somebody is getting kidnapped or killed by the thousands, and as tourism drops off, it's obviously a higher percentage of the total number of visitors.

This is directed to everyone in this thread: what percentage of kidnappings or murders do you consider unsafe?

1 in 10,000 tourists?
1 in 5,000?
1 in 1,000?
1 in 500?
Old 24-03-2015, 05:37   #77

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

[I]"More than 130 kidnappings of U.S. citizens were reported to the U.S. Embassy and consulates in Mexico between January and November of 2014.
:

You are going to be very surprised when you look up the statistics on kidnappings of US citizens in the US (non child custody, non relatives).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 24-03-2015, 06:00   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Please accept my apologies, had I known I was referring to an Ivy Leaguer, I most certainly would have moderated my tone accordingly...

:-)
That's OK, Jonny boy. I imagined that you might some day come around to the realization of whom you are speaking with.

Please have a nice day.

Ps; Little Harbor 63'. Ted Hood. My boat, davits.
Old 24-03-2015, 06:05   #79

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Good god, JAX is back and found this forum. This is your fault Jon.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 24-03-2015, 07:24   #80

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
This is directed to everyone in this thread: what percentage of kidnappings or murders do you consider unsafe?

1 in 10,000 tourists?
1 in 5,000?
1 in 1,000?
1 in 500?
this is like "what's the best bluewater boat?" or "what should I set for my monthly budget to cruise?". The answer is it depends. Me personally, I have a higher threshold when it comes to risk but I know my ex wife didn't like to get more than 3 miles from a suburban strip mall and saw shadows behind every wall.

I know before I moved down here there was a lot of angst as I considered what everyone said was going on down here. The reality of what I saw when I got here was different than the perception I had while in the States listening to what people said online, in the news, or around a bbq. Just ancedotal, and not a US vs Mexico thing but I've lived in locations in the US that I felt more concern over safety and crime. And I adjusted my lifestyle to match that, which I think is the point a lot of people saying it's safe down here are trying to get across. It's different and you have to adjust to it to maximize your risk/reward situation.

1 in 500 still gives you a 99.9% survival rate.
Old 24-03-2015, 10:02   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
That's a valid point.
I could be a shrill for the Mexican tourism board as a way to sell more cruising gear I guess, heck Obama could be a Kenyan, anything is possible, but those that know me on this and other sites for years would realize that's not the case. But seeing that I cruised full time in Mexico for 4yrs, take month long trips to La Paz in the summer by car down 1000 miles of Baja, have a dealer that I talk to almost daily for orders in Mexico, travel monthly to Mexico and ....gasp...bring my 17yr old daughter with me to have her braces adjusted, I'm not just talking Mexico as safe...I'm living it. (wow was that a run on sentence or what)

What is always interesting about these "is Mexico safe threads" which as one poster pointed out happen about once a year is that most of the negatives come from people who have never been there while the people who have post how much they love it and feel safe there. So who has more credibility on the issue? People that are there now and have been there recently or those that only read about those evil brown people trying to crash the Border in Mexico and are reading State Department Travel alerts?

The great thing about the Cruisers Forum and sites like this is that all sides get to present their view and then the readers get to decide. But since the Baja Ha-ha rally is overflowing with boats traveling down each year...well....I think many are not buying into the fear.

thanks so much. Ive travelled extensively in Mx. and always had great safe adventures. Id quit going because of the night mare stories Ive heard. My be time to re evaluate.
Old 24-03-2015, 19:21   #82

Personally, I judge a country's safety by its dog population; if you cruise into a country, and there are no dogs, it means the people ate them all. Watch out.

I see you have ordnance up in the masts, and stun grenades to be used as a diversionary tactic against some third world scoundrel climbing on your deck with a doo rag on his head and a bowie knife in his teeth. Sometimes they try and befriend you first as this cannibal did to this poor soul of a sailor.

Henri Haiti suspected of eating Stefan Ramin has tattoo of cannibal tribe | Daily Mail Online

Henri Haiti jailed for murder

BTW, if you shoot someone in Colombia without a gun permit, you just entered The Twilight Zone. Permits are easy to get, even if you're collecting a check from the govt for a mental disability. If Lee Harvey Oswald was reincarnated today, he could get a permit just by filling out the paperwork and paying the fee.

Old 25-03-2015, 06:06   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
Personally, I judge a country's safety by its dog population; if you cruise into a country, and there are no dogs, it means the people ate them all. Watch out.

I see you have ordnance up in the masts, and stun grenades to be used as a diversionary tactic against some third world scoundrel climbing on your deck with a doo rag on his head and a bowie knife in his teeth. Sometimes they try and befriend you first as this cannibal did to this poor soul of a sailor.

Henri Haiti suspected of eating Stefan Ramin has tattoo of cannibal tribe | Daily Mail Online

Henri Haiti jailed for murder

BTW, if you shoot someone in Colombia without a gun permit, you just entered The Twilight Zone. Permits are easy to get, even if you're collecting a check from the govt for a mental disability. If Lee Harvey Oswald was reincarnated today, he could get a permit just by filling out the paperwork and paying the fee.

The dog story applies to the OBX then..When they were building the new bridge at Manns harbour on hwy 64 going into Nags Head they brought in a lot of Aisian folks to do the work(some) and my old friend told me"they pretty much thinned out the young dogs and cats within 3 months" lol..
Old 25-03-2015, 12:25   #84

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A number of cultures eat dogs.

Cats? Not in the nutritional way to my knowledge

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 25-03-2015, 14:56   #85
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post

I know all there is to know about eating dogs,YUK! lol
Old 25-03-2015, 21:58   #86

Quote:

Apparently, they do it quite a bit in southern China.

https://youtu.be/MvWeCxFkDQc
Old 25-03-2015, 22:39   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You are going to be very surprised when you look up the statistics on kidnappings of US citizens in the US (non child custody, non relatives).

Mark
Surprised? No. It's in the news every day. The number of vacationing adult foreigners being abducted and held for ransom in the US is truly becoming a serious national problem. What to do?
Old 25-03-2015, 22:47   #88

Quote:

My friend's dad owns an authorized Harley dealership east of LA. Back in the mid-late eighties they decided to pack up two dressers (Electra Glide baggers) and cruise Mexico. They started in Tijuana and headed south through Baja to La Paz(?) to catch a ferry that crosses the Sea of Cortez, and then tour the mainland.

Somewhere half way down Baja they spy a taco stand and decided to pull over and grab some lunch. They ordered chicken tacos and dad went for a pee. My friend noticed lots of cats running around. While dad is in the toilet the tacos come out to the table. Dad returns. My friend says "Let's go." Dad says "Huh? Why?" My friend says "The chicken has fur."

True story.
Old 26-03-2015, 05:22   #89
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
My friend's dad owns an authorized Harley dealership east of LA. Back in the mid-late eighties they decided to pack up two dressers (Electra Glide baggers) and cruise Mexico. They started in Tijuana and headed south through Baja to La Paz(?) to catch a ferry that crosses the Sea of Cortez, and then tour the mainland.

Somewhere half way down Baja they spy a taco stand and decided to pull over and grab some lunch. They ordered chicken tacos and dad went for a pee. My friend noticed lots of cats running around. While dad is in the toilet the tacos come out to the table. Dad returns. My friend says "Let's go." Dad says "Huh? Why?" My friend says "The chicken has fur."

True story.
This is not true ,anyone thats been to Baja knows that they only sell fish tacos in Baja..lol
Old 26-03-2015, 05:23   #90
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Surprised? No. It's in the news every day. The number of vacationing adult foreigners being abducted and held for ransom in the US is truly becoming a serious national problem. What to do?
You are kidding right?
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico