Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 20:03   #646

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Meanwhile the snow keeps falling in the northern hemisphere and the ice melts slower in the southern than it did in the past but mmgw says something else.
Actually the ice isn't melting in the south. It is in fact increasing. But don't tell that to LakeEffect because it will mess with his calculations.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 20:23   #647
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Actually the ice isn't melting in the south. It is in fact increasing. But don't tell that to LakeEffect because it will mess with his calculations.
I was just referring to the normal summer melt that happens every year. Its just not melting to the minimum ice coverage of last year resulting as we both understand a net increase in annual icepack. I should have been more clear I know but had my morophine on board and to little coffee this am.
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 20:25   #648

Quote:
Another take.
Computer simulations show that ice melting on Antarctica's land can feed sea-ice growth around the continent. Researchers are most concerned about land ice because it is the permanently frozen reservoir that, when it melts, will add to sea-level rise — which floating sea ice does not do.
Anyhoo, it's late Christmas Eve. My deceased business partner's ghost has just informed me that I will be visited by three ghosts, who will convince me that climate scientists are liars. Wish them luck.

As my gift to the world, I will not harrass anyone in these threads on Chrismas Day. Save your best material for Boxing Day. You're welcome.

My cousin, an airline pilot, had his shoulder operated on about two months ago and he was one sore flyboy. Hope that stops hurting soon GW.

Peace to all.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 20:35   #649
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is an interesting site to keep tabs on the snow and ice on the whole globe
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global-snow/201511
Old 24-12-2015, 21:05   #650
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Another take.
Computer simulations show that ice melting on Antarctica's land can feed sea-ice growth around the continent. Researchers are most concerned about land ice because it is the permanently frozen reservoir that, when it melts, will add to sea-level rise — which floating sea ice does not do.
Anyhoo, it's late Christmas Eve. My deceased business partner's ghost has just informed me that I will be visited by three ghosts, who will convince me that climate scientists are liars. Wish them luck.

As my gift to the world, I will not harrass anyone in these threads on Chrismas Day. Save your best material for Boxing Day. You're welcome.

My cousin, an airline pilot, had his shoulder operated on about two months ago and he was one sore flyboy. Hope that stops hurting soon GW.

Peace to all.
L-E that is an interesting paper from march 31, 2013 and something to consider.
Now here is a NASA report from October 31, 2015 that although does talk about minor melting of land ice on the shorelines of 65 billion tons of ice it also states that there is a net increase inland of 200 billion tons of ice and would actually decrease the ocean level byy .23 mm per year.
Mass gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet greater than losses, NASA study reports
Old 24-12-2015, 21:15   #651
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Now here is a NASA report from October 31, 2015 that although does talk about minor melting of land ice on the shorelines of 65 billion tons of ice it also states that there is a net increase inland of 200 billion tons of ice and would actually decrease the ocean level byy .23 mm per year.
Do I see a Christmas Miracle in the works?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 21:43   #652

Quote:
Meanwhile the snow keeps falling in the northern hemisphere and the ice melts slower in the southern than it did in the past but mmgw says something else.

Quote:
"Canadians living east of Manitoba and wishing for a white Christmas are going to be out of luck. Whether you're in Ottawa or Halifax, the weather is positively balmy.

This year will see one of the warmest Christmas Eves on record. At 15 C, Hamilton hasn't had a Christmas Eve this warm since 1964. Windsor, Ont. is expected to reach the same temperature, about three degrees higher than the last record set in 1941.

Montreal's previous high on Dec. 24 was 8.3 C back in 1957. It's currently almost double that at 16 C, making it about as warm as Los Angeles. Ottawa more than doubled its 1996 record, at roughly 17 C.

These warm temperatures have shut down many of the usual winter activities, while summer attractions stay open longer. "
It's going to be a green Christmas for many Canadians - Trending - CBC News
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 21:45   #653
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Must we remind the Climate experts that Weather is Not Climate... Na....let them ask Santa.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 21:47   #654

Quote:
What was really said

Quote:
"The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away," Zwally said. "But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for."

Read more at: Mass gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet greater than losses, NASA study reports
Old 24-12-2015, 21:52   #655

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

After 3 years of a brown Christmas caused, I am told by AGW, we are now experiencing snow levels in feet and temps regularly below -0 degrees C.
Frankly, I don't give a sh*t what the 'warmers' are saying, weathers cold and skiing is great! If they are upset, let them move the 'Big Apple'! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 21:58   #656
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
What was really said
Semantics but I'm glad to see your poiniing out that lil bit means you at least read that part but now what about the fact that the overall ice is increasing in Antarctica.
Old 24-12-2015, 22:02   #657
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That is called weather just like the record snow here In the Washington cascades 17 feet this month its called yup weather now if it happens consistently over ten or more years then we might call it climate
Old 24-12-2015, 22:35   #658

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
What was really said

If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for."
You may find part of the answere here:
Sea Level rise: Not an accurate measurement of climate change | Communities Digital News

And it looks like Dr. Nils-Axel Mörner may have picked it:

"“Now, back to satellite altimetry, which shows the water, not
just the coasts, but in the whole of the ocean. And you measure
it by satellite. From 1992 to 2002, [the graph of the sea level]
was a straight line, variability along a straight line, but absolutely
no trend whatsoever. We could see those spikes: a very rapid
rise, but then in half a year, they fall back again. But absolutely
no trend, and to have a sea-level rise, you need a trend.
Then, in 2003, the same data set, which in their [IPCC’s]
publications, in their website, was a straight line—suddenly it
changed, and showed a very strong line of uplift, 2.3 mm per
year, the same as from the tide gauge. And that didn’t look so
nice. It looked as though they had recorded something; but
they hadn’t recorded anything. It was the original one which
they had suddenly twisted up, because they entered a “correction
factor,” which they took from the tide gauge. So it was
not a measured thing, but a figure introduced from outside. I
accused them of this at the Academy of Sciences in Moscow—
I said you have introduced factors from outside; it’s not
a measurement. It looks like it is measured from the satellite,
but you don’t say what really happened. And they answered,
that we had to do it, because otherwise we would not have gotten
any trend!”"
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 25-12-2015, 09:01   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You may find part of the answere here:
Sea Level rise: Not an accurate measurement of climate change | Communities Digital News

And it looks like Dr. Nils-Axel Mörner may have picked it:

Do you bother to check the credibility of your sources?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nils-Axel_M%C3%B6rner

Nils-Axel Mörner is Wrong About Sea Level Rise

Nils-Axel Morner | DeSmogBlog
Old 25-12-2015, 09:54   #660
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK here is a quote from one of jacks references

Climate change is real
There is now strong evidence that significant global warming is occurring. The evidence comes from direct measurements of rising surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean temperatures and, indirectly, from increases in average global sea levels.

And here is a quote from NASA that says something different
The cold waters of Earth’s deep ocean have not warmed measurably since 2005, according to a new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years.
https://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/octo.../#.Vn2B42U-mTm
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising