Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2008, 05:28   #1

another tradgic accident

it is with sadness that I post another local accident. The accidents related to head strikes with the boom are all to common...be carefull out there.

Sincere condolences...

Man dead, woman stranded in yacht accident off Fraser Island | The Courier-Mail
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 05:34   #2

further to this...people MAKE a boom brake....if you cant afford to buy a shop bought one, buy a rock climbers repel figure of 8 fitting, cheap and strong and way better than nothing. The rest is just attachment points and rope.

here is one on ebay for 10 bucks...Rock Climbing Descender Figure 8 - eBay, Climbing Equipment, Camping, Hiking, Outdoors, Sport. (end time 25-May-08 21:37:12 AEST)
Old 20-05-2008, 08:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
further to this...people MAKE a boom brake....if you cant afford to buy a shop bought one, buy a rock climbers repel figure of 8 fitting, cheap and strong and way better than nothing. The rest is just attachment points and rope.

here is one on ebay for 10 bucks...Rock Climbing Descender Figure 8 - eBay, Climbing Equipment, Camping, Hiking, Outdoors, Sport. (end time 25-May-08 21:37:12 AEST)
I'd like to make one, but I know nothing about how. I found this on youtube:

From this I assume you would use the smaller opening for attachment to the boom, but first pass the line as shown. Can you elaborate on this?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 08:40   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The sad thing is that she not only lost her husband, but because she had no skills at sailing. She could have been lost too. A lesson to all that the wife should be able to furl the sails, start the motor, and navigate home............
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 12:09   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Yes, sad and easily "preventerble".

Preventer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 14:01   #6

Tragic accident

Condolences to the family. I think we should wait for more facts to emerge from sources other than the Courier-Mail before drawing any conclusions. The Australian Press is notorious for not letting the facts get in the way of a good story.
Old 20-05-2008, 14:12   #7

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
Dear Catty

You have no information about yourself in your profile - neither your location or your age, or if you have a boat - or even if you are male or female - and you have no photos or icon - but I see you have posted 88 times - who and where are you?

You're happy to comment - but only completely anonymously?

Rodney
yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 14:49   #8

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
I have followed this unfortunate story as it has appeared in Breaking News - since it occured and here are
some links with information:

Yacht carrying dead sailor returns to port | The Daily Telegraph
Lone woman rescued at sea | The Daily Telegraph
Distressed woman alone at sea | The Daily Telegraph

Rodney
yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 15:44   #9
cruiser

Boy, is that a rough one.

I don't use a preventer, but I don't go anywhere near the boom when sailing no matter what.

If I go forward, I do it on the windward side of the boat - in case a sheet breaks loose - and duck the whole way. Call me over cautious.

What a way to go. Just terrible.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 17:59   #10

Hi speedo,
if you use a fig 8 rig it like this

Attach the 8 to the boom via the small loop. One end of your running rope is fixed as far out board as possible, the other end runs through a single block in the same position on the other side of the boat. It then continues through to a solid jam cleat tie off point. It is the friction of the rope running through the 8 that slows the boom swing. Just as it is being used as an ascender, by tightening the running end of the rope it increases the friction. The rope must not run over itself anywhere.

PLEASE NOTE this is a way of a temporary fix. You must test it in your situation first by doing some HARD crash gybes.....It is NOT an excuse to stick your head up into the boom swing area. Wear must be constantly monitored. You must assume that at any time it may break.........It is a "something is better than nothing at all" approach...

Be carefull...
Old 20-05-2008, 18:59   #11

Quote:
Hi speedo,
if you use a fig 8 rig it like this

Thanks cooper. Just want to be sure about this.. I rig the rope through the fig 8 as it is done in the first part of the video. It does not need the additional loops around the fig 8 and below it, right? Those are basically setting it so that the rope does not slide through at all, I believe.

Attach the 8 to the boom via the small loop. One end of your running rope is fixed as far out board as possible, the other end runs through a single block in the same position on the other side of the boat. It then continues through to a solid jam cleat tie off point. It is the friction of the rope running through the 8 that slows the boom swing. Just as it is being used as an ascender, by tightening the running end of the rope it increases the friction. The rope must not run over itself anywhere.

PLEASE NOTE this is a way of a temporary fix. You must test it in your situation first by doing some HARD crash gybes.....It is NOT an excuse to stick your head up into the boom swing area. Wear must be constantly monitored. You must assume that at any time it may break.........It is a "something is better than nothing at all" approach...

Understood. I'll pick one up to eventually use as a spare, but I'll use it carefully for now. Meanwhile I'll look for a proper boom brake used, since the new ones are so expensive.

Be carefull...
Thanks for the idea.
Old 20-05-2008, 20:20   #12

Hi speedo
you rig it the same as the video in the link that I have posted (it is different to the one you posted). You will see loops that are put on to increase the friction not to stop it from sliding. (Hence "Heavy Load") You may be able to back it off one loop if the friction is to high, but remember it has to take a lot of force. Also bear in mind that like all friction brake situations, it will become less efficient as it heats up.
Old 20-05-2008, 20:25   #13

On preventers...if you decide to use one make sure that the attachment is as far out along the boom as possible and as far forward. If the angle is to tight then the force plus rope stretch can overcome the preventer....look out......Great for smooth down wind sailing goose winged. Boom brakes are used ALL the time.
Old 20-05-2008, 20:45   #14

Quote:
On preventers...if you decide to use one make sure that the attachment is and as far out along the boom as possible and as far forward. If the angle is to tight then the force plus rope stretch can overcome the preventer....look out......Great for smooth down wind sailing goose winged. Boom brakes are used ALL the time.
"as far out along the boom as possible ..." meaning as far aft as possible?

"and as far forward." .... by this do you mean the deck attachments for the line should be well forward? Or did you mean to say "far outboard"?

I will have to take into account the position of my dodger. The attachment point on the boom may have to be more mid-boom.
Old 21-05-2008, 00:17   #15

With the preventer ......I mean as close to the end of the boom ie where you attach the topping lift and then forwards, out side all stays, to as close to the bow (on an average size cruising boat) as possible.The idea is to have the preventer line as close as possible to a right angle to the boom when in operation. For long runs, setting up a single line by tying it onto the appropriate point is ok. If you are likely to be "tacking downwind" that is running slightly off the wind to stop the rhythmic rolling, associated with dead down wind, then two lines one on each side through small blocks at the bow and led aft to the cockpit make it easy.

Tags
accident