Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2008, 02:14   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Condolences to the family. I think we should wait for more facts to emerge from sources other than the Courier-Mail before drawing any conclusions. The Australian Press is notorious for not letting the facts get in the way of a good story.
Wow,what planet are you on?I can not think of any "press"from any country that isn't notorious for the same thing.Im pretty sure the courier mail is syndicated like most papers.Even then the story changes.

The first 4 words in your post were for the family,the other 39 words were unconstructive.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 20:50   #17

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
This was posted on Noonsite yesterday:

Noonsite: Couple's Tragic Accident - Correction To Previous News Item
Old 22-05-2008, 05:29   #18

Why so nasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
Wow,what planet are you on?I can not think of any "press"from any country that isn't notorious for the same thing.Im pretty sure the courier mail is syndicated like most papers.Even then the story changes.

The first 4 words in your post were for the family,the other 39 words were unconstructive.Mudnut.

Having lost a close friend in a sailing tragedy several years back and reading what could only be described as crap that was printed about the accident by the papers at the time I feel it may be worth waiting for a few more details to emerge before jumping to any conclusions regarding their sailing skills or whether a boom brake could have prevented the accident.
Old 22-05-2008, 05:52   #19

cat, please dont think that i am casting any aspersions. I would never want to do that, I have no idea what the situation was. My heart is only to try and give a possibility to prevention. Even with boom brakes or any other piece of equipment ...**** does happen. It is for this very reason that I have made my posts. Not to make anybody feel bad, but to help. The simplest things go wrong. It is within my nature to try and provide simple safety "stuff" nothing more. my "thing " is to provide options to people who dont have the money to buy brand name.......I am so sorry for their situation and know of many with head strikes with the boom.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 08:34   #20

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded Mariner View Post
Stranded,
Thanks for the correction. This makes it pretty clear it was a tragic accident.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 09:56   #21
Kai Nui

Catty, your comment was well taken. The article left much to interpretation.
Let's stay on topic here. The real issue is that a terrible accident that could have been prevented, occurred. If we are able to take away from that, a lesson about boat safety, at least there will be some meaning to it. Truly sad for the family, but nothing to be gained by criticizing the personalities who contribute to the conversation.
Old 27-05-2008, 21:16   #22

I would just like to correct you that Glynnis Craig is a very experienced sailor. Understandably she was in a stressful situation.
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 07:32   #23

Sail Magazine horror stories

I don't want to in any way diminish the tragedy of that poor man being killed by his boom. It could indeed happen to anyone in the extraordinary circumstances of a storm at sea.

BUT. Does anyone remember the 'I-nearly-killed-myself-and-my-whole-family-through-stupidity' stories that used to appear in Sail Magazine? We sailed in the Chesapeake at the time, and every month, I read another horror story in Sail Magazine.

The primary result of this reading occurred at night and in heavy weather, when the captain of our boat [my husband] informed the crew [me] with some irritation "Jane. When a boat turns over, it doesn't happen as fast as you think it will."

Do you know, I still can't decide if that's funny yet.

Jane Malcolm
dennismalcolm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident